George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

1 minute ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I have only heard of the old retired cop who died, which was why I asked. This is a thread discussing the riots, right? Is this not pertinent to the discussion? Or is this supposed to be some sort of echo chamber? If something doesn't fit the narrative pushed, surely that's very important and worthy of serious investigation?

You posted it, you investigate and come back with facts..ffs

6 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

You posted it, you investigate and come back with facts..ffs

What? I'm not doing all the work. I've not got an agenda, other than uncovering the truth. It seems that the media are being selective in what they're reporting, it's almost as if they want to create animosity and division. 

4 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

What? I'm not doing all the work. I've not got an agenda, other than uncovering the truth. It seems that the media are being selective in what they're reporting, it's almost as if they want to create animosity and division. 

Oh I think you have a little bit of an agenda..

Edited by Bohemian

27 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I have only heard of the old retired cop who died, which was why I asked. This is a thread discussing the riots, right? Is this not pertinent to the discussion? Or is this supposed to be some sort of echo chamber? If something doesn't fit the narrative pushed, surely that's very important and worthy of serious investigation?

I'd be happy to discuss it if you provided more than a montage of 5 people I don't know from Adam and an anonymous headline. You could start with the explaining the retired cop, and check out the others, then maybe we could have a conversation. And maybe explain if or why their skin colour matters in this context.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd be happy to discuss it if you provided more than a montage of 5 people I don't know from Adam and an anonymous headline. You could start with the explaining the retired cop, and check out the others, then maybe we could have a conversation. 

But he doesn't want to do all of the work...he posts something and we explain it to him, I think that's what he wants..

2 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

But he doesn't want to do all of the work...he posts something and we explain it to him, I think that's what he wants..

I see. He's just an earnest seeker of truth but can't be arsed doing his own research. Fair do's. Might be some money in it if we keep in with him eh? 

Poor Tommy, sadly traduced, he loves his Mum! :bairn

14 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

That's about the size of it. As WelshBairn correctly states, all I saw was 'a montage of 5 people...and an anonymous headline.'  Naturally that alone is insufficient evidence, I need sources. But I have work in the morning, and a cursory search didn't amount to much. I thought that given there are 71 pages in this thread, most of which I haven't read, it may have been discussed or people might be willing to do a bit of digging, either to repudiate or validate the assertion.

ETA: this is the ex-cop, David Dorn: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/david-dorn-st-louis-police-shot-trnd/index.html

I suppose I could do reverse image searches for the rest. But I really cannot be bothered now.

Edited by Sinner-to-Saint

37 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

That's about the size of it. As WelshBairn correctly states, all I saw was 'a montage of 5 people...and an anonymous headline.'  Naturally that alone is insufficient evidence, I need sources. But I have work in the morning, and a cursory search didn't amount to much. I thought that given there are 71 pages in this thread, most of which I haven't read, it may have been discussed or people might be willing to do a bit of digging, either to repudiate or validate the assertion.

ETA: this is the ex-cop, David Dorn: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/david-dorn-st-louis-police-shot-trnd/index.html

I suppose I could do reverse image searches for the rest. But I really cannot be bothered now.

Might be easier to track down who wrote the headline. Could be more revealing than the head shots. 

6 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

Judging by your credulous stupidity throughout this thread's last few pages, I'd say "uncovering the truth" might be a tad ambitious for you.

17 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

You just know that you're going to see some of these awful faux-Scots signs at the Glasgow and Edinburgh protests.  "Racists haud yer weesht" and all that pish.

42429E66-5CB3-4CCA-A2B1-E351C1441C0D.jpeg

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Have you missed the push over the past week for more of Britain's colonial/slave trading/generally horrifically racist history to actually be taught in schools? The push being made by exactly the same movement which tore down that statue today?

Seems to me that teaching children in schools is probably a more effective method of making sure people know about and learn from history than leaving up a random scattering of statues across the country. Genuinely wild that the line folk are going for with this is 'erasing history' when that history goes completely ignored and unacknowledged every single day in this country. Willing to bet that most of the people opposing it being torn down had never even heard of this guy until today and had no idea this historically crucial statue existed. I know I hadn't which is absolutely shameful both on a personal level and as a comment on how completely absent from life in the UK any acknowledgement of the non sunshine and rainbows elements of our history is.

Given that the history taught in British schools generally consists of the Tudors, industrial revolution and then the 1st and 2nd world wars, there's no reason why you (or 99%) of the country, would have ever heard of Colston or Britain's long connection with slavery. 

I agree completely that education is the way forward. It'll be far more effective than defacing statues, which in all honesty looks like stupid student cuntery and only succeeds in both polarising views and losing a worthy cause a huge amount of support from 'normal' people. 

18 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Who is this St Mirren c**t?

It's like a slightly more articulate gravity denier. 

I can't see him getting in the clique any time soon tbh. 

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Agree with first part and disagree with second part of this. Chucking that statue in the harbour has instantly educated millions of people in who Edward Colston was. I certainly had no idea who he was and only a vague inkling that Bristol was part of the slave trade. There's now talk of knocking Henry Dundas off his plinth in Edinburgh which I would hope would do the same thing.

They should just decapitate every statue just to be on the safe side and stick Ronaldo's head on it. 

images (17).jpeg

10 hours ago, Fratelli said:

If this is what the whole thing is doing to our brave Tommy then i suggest they keep doing it. Very angry wee man.

There's a lot of statues in London. Will there be enough statue protectors?

"We'll protect old London's statues."

Edited by Jacksgranda

7 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

This guy posts some interesting facts, which appear to destroy the promoted narrative:

How does that work out % wise?