George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

9 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Him also being a massive racist, anti semite and starving millions of Indians to death also doesn't help.

First person to order the use of chemical weapons in Iraq was another thing.

No being funny here but is this not pretty much on a par with the nazis and the book burning sh*t, do we just erase every bit of history we dont agree with where do you draw the line.

Just now, Marshmallo said:

No. Don't be so fucking stupid.

Why we just become selective of history whether we agree with it or not, the worlds moved on and in this internet age we find out what were heroes or revered to by people in the past are massive c**ts.  Like it or not its part of the countrys history.

The end of the day the human race is full of hypocrisy

Just now, AL-FFC said:

Why we just become selective of history whether we agree with it or not, the worlds moved on and in this internet age we find out what were heroes or revered to by people in the past are massive c**ts.  Like it or not its part of the countrys history.

The end of the day the human race is full of hypocrisy

Do you think these people today pushed that statue into the sea to control the narrative and limit the flow of information?

11 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

No being funny here but is this not pretty much on a par with the nazis and the book burning sh*t, do we just erase every bit of history we dont agree with where do you draw the line.

Yes*.

*No.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

No because you can still read about him in a book. For every c**t that gets a statue erected of them there's 100 sound guys we could put one of in their place.

Iraq got rid of every single statue and bust of Saddam they were even going to do away with the crossed swords as they were modelled on Saddams hands.  The thing about those 100 sound guys that you replace dig into their background only to find out he was a bit of a c**t in his past do you then get rid of his statue ?

Edited by AL-FFC

2 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Iraq got rid of every single statue and bust of Saddam they were even going to do away with the crossed swords as they were modelled on Saddams hands.  The thing about those 100 sound guys that you replace dig into his background only to find out he was a bit of a c**t in his past,

In fairness, you probably wouldn’t have to do that much digging to find out someone was a prolific slave trader. Would be fairly high up on their wiki page, you’d have to think. And at that point, let’s not build that statue. 

I'd prefer a country where we have statues of the good guys and talk about the bad guys in history classes. A statue to me says "this person is important and cherished by this city or place". If Killie were building a statue outside Rugby Park it would be for one of our trophy winning captains, not Liam Millar who did OK in a few games on loan for us last year. That's not erasing Millar out of our history, it's just prioritising those who actually earned a statue.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Good point, let's just stop erecting statues of people. I like ones that are commemorative of events and times or just artistic ideas.

CRB check for erecting of statues 

All these protests are a real slap in the face of the NHS.

Any other time fine but to risk spreading Covid in the current climate is utterly irresponsible and I speak as someone who has lost a relative in recent weeks.. If this makes me a gammon then fine.

These statues of slavers around everywhere are only there because it was a fashionable thing to do in Victorian times and the subjects spent a bit of blood money locally. They're of no historical or artistic significance. The serious crime against our heritage was done by town planners and developers in the sixties and seventies. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Lee Van Tee said:

Any other time fine but to risk spreading Covid in the current climate is utterly irresponsible and I speak as someone who has lost a relative in recent weeks.. If this makes me a gammon then fine.

The City of Chicago’s public health department and Mayor are encouraging folks who have been out protesting to get tested and self-quarantine for 14 days, paying particular attention to stay away from anyone immunocompromised or over 60. Johnson or Hancock could issue similar advice and everyone would listen to it, because they’re competent, unhypocritical and people are still taking them seriously. 

4 minutes ago, Lee Van Tee said:

It depends on how you define "essential" or "necessary"