George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

3 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

Yip, had a chuckle to my self when police started reporting a masked man on a shop roof with an assault rifle. Turned out it was the shop owner protecting his business. Police were quite happy to let him get on with it.

Also reports of gang members clashing with looters

Also, that daft c**t Trump didn't even have the nous to hold the bible the right way up. 

I was just thinking there that the good thing about these riots is that they will almost certainly guarantee a guilty verdict for George Floyd's killer, and then I remembered the Rodney King acquittals. 

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've got a horrible feeling they'd genuinely end up with the God Emperor ruling from beyond the grave, with even more openly vile acolytes enforcing what they decide his policies would have been. The Americans have form for deifying leaders, unfortunately.

Does he ever back the 'fake news' stuff up with anything, by the way? I shouldn't be surprised, but it does amaze me a little bit that someone could spend four years claiming provable facts are lies seemingly without any kind of kickback from the people who support him. But then, his whole movement is based on the premise that the world can be whatever you want if you ignore science, logic, and reason for long enough...I still can't quite grasp that.

He should probably just grow up.

We live in a “my views are as valid as your facts” world.  Social media has played its part in creating and sustaining this.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We live in a “my views are as valid as your facts” world.  Social media has played its part in creating and sustaining this.

We've always lived in such a world. Social media has merely played a part in showing it to us

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

We've always lived in such a world. Social media has merely played a part in showing it to us

Social media may have done that, but it has done more.

Previously the nutter on the bus or in the pub was avoidable and had limited access to other nutters.  Far less chance of their skewed thinking being endorsed.

Now the nutter puts something on Twitter and other nutters agree and reinforce the idea.  These nutters then realise that they are nut not alone.  Suddenly you have a community of nutters all feeding off each other’s nuttiness.

This is not a criticism of social media which I think has done as much good as harm.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

IMG_3959.jpg

This thick janitor boomer, who has started a ‘virtual bar’ on Facebook and amassed 50,000+ followers so far, has clearly let the fifteen minutes of fame go to his head.

Lives vs life's is annoying me far more than it should.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There are a number of people with deeply-entrenched beliefs that have had them shown, time and again, to be erroneous, at best. I think people in fields like science and philosophy have been assuming that, as a species, we'd just gradually absorb the research they've spent their lives working on and gradually change our views accordingly.

We seem to have hit a wall where some people are sick of being wrong. If they want to believe people of different races are dangerous and inferior, they're damned well going to do it, whatever the "experts" say. If research indicates that people of non-traditional sexuality and gender aren't, in fact, any more dangerous than the rest of the population, well, that's not good enough; common sense dictates otherwise. Professionals from the fields of criminology demonstrate that education and rehabilitation reduces criminal activity and gives us a safer society? That won't do; I need retribution. People must be held responsible, at any cost, and punished to my satisfaction.

I don't know what you do about that.

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

There are a number of people with deeply-entrenched beliefs that have had them shown, time and again, to be erroneous, at best. I think people in fields like science and philosophy have been assuming that, as a species, we'd just gradually absorb the research they've spent their lives working on and gradually change our views accordingly.

We seem to have hit a wall where some people are sick of being wrong. If they want to believe people of different races are dangerous and inferior, they're damned well going to do it, whatever the "experts" say. If research indicates that people of non-traditional sexuality and gender aren't, in fact, any more dangerous than the rest of the population, well, that's not good enough; common sense dictates otherwise. Professionals from the fields of criminology demonstrate that education and rehabilitation reduces criminal activity and gives us a safer society? That won't do; I need retribution. People must be held responsible, at any cost, and punished to my satisfaction.

I don't know what you do about that.

I committed nearly 20 years of my life to trying to change things and had very few lasting successes.  I trust those who are politically active now will have more joy.  The alternative is to do nothing.

Edited by Granny Danger

32 minutes ago, RiG said:

He never does and that's the way he's been his whole life. Because he's rich he's been able to litigate his way through most challenges. He can't do that as PotUS so whenever he gets called out on something he just screams fake news to try and get out of the situation.

28 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

The truth is utterly irrelevant to Trump. Whenever the news runs a story he doesn't like he'll just call it "FAKE NEWS!" and carry on tweeting about "CHINA!" and "LAW & ORDER!!" at about midnight. 

I guess I've just assumed that he mixes up flat-out lies and accusations of "fake news" with actual examples of the news media being economical with the actualite, in order to give the overall impression of honesty. It just occurred to me that he doesn't seem to do that at all, just screaming "lies, lies, it's all lies!" at every opportunity.

I find that quite astonishing. Not that he does it, but that so many people go along for the ride. Sad, as a very powerful man likes to say.

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
Boomers’ Lives Matter!

Do they though?

Stay Home! (Unless you require child care) Stay Safe! (Particularly if you're a black man in America) Be Alert! (The country needs more lerts)

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Stay Home! (Unless you require child care) Stay Safe! (Particularly if you're a black man in America) Be Alert! (The country needs more lerts)

Brexit will throw into sharp focus the lack of lerts.  That and the problems of attracting workers to the care sector.

26 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

IMG_3959.jpg

This thick janitor boomer, who has started a ‘virtual bar’ on Facebook and amassed 50,000+ followers so far, has clearly let the fifteen minutes of fame go to his head.

Apostrophes matter. 

This countries obsession with all things USA never ceases to amaze me.

Racist police murders and brutality in South America, Africa, Asia - which happen on a daily basis - doesn’t make the news and there’s no outrage.

Police brutality in USA and it’s all over the British news and everyone here is up in arms. Why? Is it more tragic if it happens in America than these other foreign places?

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Notable that Flint is a majority black city, and that the Sheriff is elected.

Funny that when there's actual accountability the police chose not to behave like murderous psychopaths.

Is it the same Flint that the Netflix series was about?