George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

One notable thing about the death of George Floyd is that I haven't seen any real attempts to justify what was done to him, which is different to previous cases like this.

19 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I read an article by a journalist returning to the UK after many years in the USA who said American police are best treated and reacted to like an occupying army which always stuck with me.

Not going to post a link but one of the worst police shooting vids I'd see was one where they raid a hotel room. It's clearly just a few folk quietly chatting but they make one guy get on the floor on the corridor outside, scream at him not to move for 5 minutes, with him pleading for them not to hurt him and that he's 100% going to do all they ask. Eventually they just shoot him to f**k anyway, despite him lying face down on the ground. 

24 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Not going to post a link but one of the worst police shooting vids I'd see was one where they raid a hotel room. It's clearly just a few folk quietly chatting but they make one guy get on the floor on the corridor outside, scream at him not to move for 5 minutes, with him pleading for them not to hurt him and that he's 100% going to do all they ask. Eventually they just shoot him to f**k anyway, despite him lying face down on the ground. 

I know the one you're on about. Fucking harrowing. The guy made up his mind he was shooting straight away.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Guns don't kill black people, coppers do. 

Similar to the death of this lad in Kirkcaldy a few years back:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-43942266

Do the police just get buzzed on the physical confrontation and not know when to stop? 

I used to have to do restraint as part of my job. Restraints were common occurrences so the training in restraint was extensive and regular. 

It should only be used as a last resort when someone's behaviour poses a threat to themselves or others.

Unfortunately you got assholes who were always buzzing to restrain people, but they never lasted long in the job thankfully.

Some of the main principles of "safe restraint" is to only do it for the minimum length of time required. Usually this is no more than a couple of minutes as even the most agitated people stop struggling and trying to attack in that length of time, and it's okay to release the restraint.

You also do not restrain people on the ground if it can be avoided. You must get them to sit down, allowing them to sit up straight and not forcing them to lean forwards as this can restrict breathing.

One of the main criticisms (within my profession) of both the UK and US police is that they have a tendency to use restraint as a punitive measure, rather than the safeguarding measure that it should be.

I remember the story about the lad who died in police custody. I heard that he was being hunched over in a sitting position, which restricted his breathing and led to his death.

It is very concerning that police officers are either not being trained good restraint techniques or are choosing to ignore them.

55 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I read an article by a journalist returning to the UK after many years in the USA who said American police are best treated and reacted to like an occupying army which always stuck with me.

This reminds me of a piece on Last Week Tonight during the riots in Ferguson.

Yeah saw that, it’s absolutely shocking. I think I was drunk when I watched it & cried for that guy.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to have to do restraint as part of my job. Restraints were common occurrences so the training in restraint was extensive and regular. 

It should only be used as a last resort when someone's behaviour poses a threat to themselves or others.

Unfortunately you got assholes who were always buzzing to restrain people, but they never lasted long in the job thankfully.

Some of the main principles of "safe restraint" is to only do it for the minimum length of time required. Usually this is no more than a couple of minutes as even the most agitated people stop struggling and trying to attack in that length of time, and it's okay to release the restraint.

You also do not restrain people on the ground if it can be avoided. You must get them to sit down, allowing them to sit up straight and not forcing them to lean forwards as this can restrict breathing.

One of the main criticisms (within my profession) of both the UK and US police is that they have a tendency to use restraint as a punitive measure, rather than the safeguarding measure that it should be.

I remember the story about the lad who died in police custody. I heard that he was being hunched over in a sitting position, which restricted his breathing and led to his death.

It is very concerning that police officers are either not being trained good restraint techniques or are choosing to ignore them.

Thanks for the explanation. As a lay person it looks brutal to be choking folk out. There has to be ways for four people to pin down someone else without crushing their windpipe or making them panic and lose consciousness. 

I actually spent a month in Minneapolis a few years ago: it was a really nice city by American 'take a wrong turn and you might be fucked' standards, so it's a shame to see this happen. The conflict between the city mayor's relatively liberal public statements and the kinda Trump-supporting instincts in the rest state will make Minnesota worth watching in November's election.

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

A lot of these people are slipping the psychiatric evaluation net and being put into roles in spite of being absolutely psychotic sadists.

One of the examples I remember most is of the Daniel Shaver incident where the cop is giving a list of jumbled, angry instructions to a guy who is clearly half cut, distressed, frightened out of his fucking wits and confused. The cop decides after putting the guy in an extremely physically uncomfortable and uncompromising position, that he isn't crawling in the manner that he wants and when the guy moves his arm out of sheer discomfort, rattles 4 bullets into him, killing him.

The offending cop was fired, then reinstated and retired on a full pension at 29 years of age. But crucially, never brought to trial