Bookcase background

2 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:
7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Have you read the Iain M Banks collection? If not you've got a serious treat ahead of you. I'd start from the very beginning.

No! I'm a bit intimidated by sci-fi. Have you got one of those you'd recommend? I'm willing to give it a go.

As a bit of a sci fi fan anyway Excession was a bit of a mind blowing favourite. But a lot of them are more about his thoughts about how we could go about things in a post resource limited world from a radically socially liberal perspective. I loved them. His second book might be a good intro, Player of Games. Banks was well into computer games but this is a very weird game. Can't remember his first one, Consider Phlebas. Some of the one off books are a bit experimental language wise, but I quickly adapted by not worrying too much if I missed something. Thinking Feersum Endjinn in particular here. I'm well jealous, and don't get too put off by the sci fi label, they aren't too different from the likes of Whit, for example.

As a bit of a sci fi fan anyway Excession was a bit of a mind blowing favourite. But a lot of them are more about his thoughts about how we could go about things in a post resource limited world from a radically socially liberal perspective. I loved them. His second book might be a good intro, Player of Games. Banks was well into computer games but this is a very weird game. Can't remember his first one, Consider Phlebas. Some of the one off books are a bit experimental language wise, but I quickly adapted by not worrying too much if I missed something. Thinking Feersum Endjinn in particular here. I'm well jealous, and don't get too put off by the sci fi label, they aren't too different from the likes of Whit, for example.
I'll definitely give one of these a try! Next time I set foot in Armchair Books on West Port. (Great second hand book shop.)

MVIMG_20200529_213229904.thumb.jpg.5c52ccc7767e23b136eccbe61af15481.jpg

Official background shelf picture and also lockdown achievement- I sorted out 30 years of programmes into season order ..

I also have a bookshelf for my non football books but it's too messy to show!

3 hours ago, mathematics said:

There’s too many dodgy books in my and Mrs Mathematics’ collection to post photos online. This cartoon in Private Eye hits the mark though.

B9E7B4E3-F837-4673-81C0-8AB1684A199C.jpeg

There seems to be a number of fellow eye subscribers on here.

Mine didn’t appear so had to go buy a copy this week.

5 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Drag me

IMG_20200529_220430304.jpg

I'm sensing the books on the far left are the one's you haven't even thumbed through, good choice by the looks of it. No idea what the bottom shelf tome is though. Rest of them look well read though so I'll avoid any debate about it with you.

I'm in desperate need of a larger new book case. I've an eye on one in the British Heat foundation store on Dairly road when it opens. I usually give novels away to charity shops when I'm finished with them. The ones I keep are museum and Historical building guidebooks. 

IMG_20200530_111307.jpg

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

MVIMG_20200529_213229904.thumb.jpg.5c52ccc7767e23b136eccbe61af15481.jpg

Official background shelf picture and also lockdown achievement- I sorted out 30 years of programmes into season order ..

I also have a bookshelf for my non football books but it's too messy to show!

I've got that same 'Football Grounds of Great Britain' book on loan from a work colleague. Excellent photos of an era which was fading out by the time I starting going to games as a child.  The section on safety, which was written prior to Hillsborough, was notable as the conclusions were that a disaster of the scale of the Bradford incident would be unlikely to happen again. 

I have a virtual library of over 200 books in pdf format.

They range from a ‘Shipwreck of the Antelope’ published in 1783 to the 2017 publication of the UK Labour Party manifesto and the Scottish Labour Party manifesto of the same year. I have loads of books on the American Civil War and the French Revolution. Most of the books are downloaded from the American and Canadian Libraries. I preface each title with the year so my books are always in chronological order

https://archive.org/details/americana