Bookcase background

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It's on his shelf with War and Peace.

Both unread probably. 

Read everything on the shelf.  War and Peace was ok, way too long though.

Much prefer Dostoyevsky tbh.

Incidentally one shelf down from W&P is Ulysses by James Joyce, I found it awful and now I would have given up.

3 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Read everything on the shelf.  War and Peace was ok, way too long though.

Much prefer Dostoyevsky tbh.

Incidentally one shelf down from W&P is Ulysses by James Joyce, I found it awful and now I would have given up.

haven't read Ulysses but it's been torture enough reading Knausgaard discussing it so I doubt I'll bother. 

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

haven't read Ulysses but it's been torture enough reading Knausgaard discussing it so I doubt I'll bother. 

A wise choice.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I too have Ulysses and had to stop not long after starting it because I wasn't enjoying it.

Chapters seemed to be about 100 pages long!

If it wasn't for the stubbornness of youth I would have binned it.   Incidentally I thought it was pish and was none the wiser after reading through it.

Nowadays if I'm not enjoying a book I just put it down.

I have two bookcases but I need a third one and I have no room or money.

As a result I have various 'Penguin Piles' in need of better lodgings that are wedged into any available space.

I'd like all my books in one place and in alphabetical order but that's probably never going to happen unless I get rid of other things I have millions of - football programmes, 7 inch singles, CDs, LPs, 30 year runs of magazines, hundreds of minidiscs with recorded John Peel programmes on them etc, etc.

IMG_20200611_001019813.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is the most depressing bookcase ever. The only reasonable explanation is that Rentoul got them all for free at book launches and doesn't actually like reading or has the Jack Reacher books stashed elsewhere.

Five books by Andrew Adonis! You'd need to be dead inside. 

Ulysses is hard work but definitely worth it. It's really funny and the second half is completely different to the first which keeps it interesting. Chapter summaries help as well. 

On 29/05/2020 at 22:32, mathematics said:

It’s an amazing publication 

I've been reading it for 50+ years, never fails to entertain and educate. I've bought a few copies off eBay lately and have been re-reading copies from 1974 - 2007. Fascinating.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We are in the process of moving house so have cleaned up our other book shelves enough for a photo.

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg

Someone bought the house despite the evidence of subsidence in photo 2? Well done!

On 11/06/2020 at 00:54, Ya Bezzer! said:

I have two bookcases but I need a third one and I have no room or money.

As a result I have various 'Penguin Piles' in need of better lodgings that are wedged into any available space.

I'd like all my books in one place and in alphabetical order but that's probably never going to happen unless I get rid of other things I have millions of - football programmes, 7 inch singles, CDs, LPs, 30 year runs of magazines, hundreds of minidiscs with recorded John Peel programmes on them etc, etc.

IMG_20200611_001019813.jpg

Very nice , but all too modern For me ...6D527BF8-9F33-4303-A92B-FF9E3504CD8B.thumb.jpeg.e4455bb39470565582119a081fb6f678.jpeg