Bookcase background

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

CooperativeFearfulFerret-size_restricted

No bookcase required in Chez Poz. Apart from the Super Bowl 50 book, the only other books I own are a history of the Boeing 747, the history of London Underground graphics and signage,  the history of Concorde, and the history of aviation livery and graphics.

I’m not a big reader. Could count on the fingers of one hand the ‘proper’ books I’ve read.

8 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

We used lockdown as a chance to get rid of dozens of books. Just left them outside with a "help yourself" note and over a few days they were all taken. DVDs too. 

My neighbour did something similar a few days ago.  They put a whole load of books in an expensive looking oak chest with a sign on the lid of the chest saying “help yourself”.  Very kind of them.  I’ve now got a cracking oak chest sitting in my living room.  

I don’t think my neighbour has managed to get rid of all their unwanted books though.  I think that’s why they have been angry and are not talking to me.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I’ve never read a book in my life.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Darren Mackie found. 

Nah, he didn't tell us the name of his favourite book (that he hasn't read).

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

No bookcase required in Chez Poz. Apart from the Super Bowl 50 book, the only other books I own are a history of the Boeing 747, the history of London Underground graphics and signage,  the history of Concorde, and the history of aviation livery and graphics.

I’m not a big reader. Could count on the fingers of one hand the ‘proper’ books I’ve read.

If you were from Fife you could have read an extra book.

20200529_201129.thumb.jpg.c6f5af54b6aee02d090d36c515000523.jpgGot a few bookcases & book shelves dotted around. We try to get rid of some books every so often to charity shops, and inevitably buy more.

Won't part with my Ellroy or Camilleri books though.

20200529_195319.thumb.jpg.d6a5dfce0160001e4fed288f34ec384b.jpg

20200529_195218.thumb.jpg.1c0871288770365093180343cd5166d9.jpg

Edited by Silverton End

I've got a few of these bookcases around the house. All shelves cluttered and books usually filed in no discernible order.

Although my Iain Banks are all together. I've got a few Iain Banks left to read. I like the idea of having a new Iain Banks to start, and every now again I do so. But one day I will run out, and that will make me very sad indeed.

I'm missing bookshops. Going into town, picking up a couple of books, and then perusing them whilst sitting with a couple of afternoon pints is a very underrated pleasure. IMG_20200529_195946_1.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Although my Iain Banks are all together. I've got a few Iain Banks left to read. I like the idea of having a new Iain Banks to start, and every now again I do so. But one day I will run out, and that will make me very sad indeed.

Have you read the Iain M Banks collection? If not you've got a serious treat ahead of you. I'd start from the very beginning.

10 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

How very last century. Actual books. Papery things wrapped up in paper. 

Actually, something like a Kindle is pretty much on my radar just now.  

However, one of my preferred times to read is when I go to bed. 

Which is usually some time after I've had absolutely enough of interacting with some screen or other for a large chunk of the day.

So I can see physical books continuing to be very much part of my life, even if/when an ereader appears.

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

We have multiple bookcases, all filled to the brim with books we've accumulated over the years. Like Chris', these are stacked any which way, often 2 deep and  ours are largely covered in dust. 

Up until we moved in February this was pretty much our spare room. 4 or 5 book cases rammed with books in every spare bit of space. All of them now in boxes and in our basement, until we move again and have enough space to put the bookshelves back up.

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

We have multiple bookcases, all filled to the brim with books we've accumulated over the years. Like Chris', these are stacked any which way, often 2 deep and  ours are largely covered in dust.  It's a safe bet that the vast majority of them will never be read again. I tend to get most of my books from the library, often as audio recordings and we're both avid e-reader users. Therefore, the common sense thing to do would be to sell/donate/throw away several hundred and free up the space. 

But, it's not going to happen. Mrs Shotgun is a hoarder to the point where I often think there's a reality show in our future. She literally has boxes of them under the bed, which won't see the light of day until she dies. Won't allow me to get rid of them though. There are psychological issues going on and it's a battle I've given up fighting.

I do love finding a good condition, used book at a decent price though. Always makes me feel like I've beaten the system.

I threw away / donated about 800 books when my mum and dad sold their old house. Kept a few for nostalgic reasons but nowadays they're all on Kindle.