Bookcase background

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Very nice, organised shelves from NotThePars.  Some interesting choices, with Mishima balancing out all the Commies, to a degree.

It would be good to have at least one completely ridiculous ot of place book in there but we'll let you off as you said you'd just tidied them.

Mishima is class. Haven't we all dreamt of going shirtless with the fellas and launching a coup?

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I’ve never read a book in my life.

Me neither. Unless we can count Oor Wullie.

I tried to get into reading by picking up a Wilbur Smith book in my teens, then tried again with a Thomas Harris book many years later, but just couldn't get going with them.

My wife tells me I am missing out on so much.

But am I if I don't enjoy it?

Edited by johnnydun

Just now, johnnydun said:

Me neither. Unless we can count Oor Wullie.

I tried to get into reading by pick up a Wilbur Smith book in my teens, then tried again with a Thomas Harris book many years later, but just couldn't get going with them.

My wife tells me I am missing out on so much.

But am I if I don't enjoy it?

I tried to read one of the Goosebumps series in primary 5 but wasn’t having it. 

We have multiple bookcases, all filled to the brim with books we've accumulated over the years. Like Chris', these are stacked any which way, often 2 deep and  ours are largely covered in dust.  It's a safe bet that the vast majority of them will never be read again. I tend to get most of my books from the library, often as audio recordings and we're both avid e-reader users. Therefore, the common sense thing to do would be to sell/donate/throw away several hundred and free up the space. 

But, it's not going to happen. Mrs Shotgun is a hoarder to the point where I often think there's a reality show in our future. She literally has boxes of them under the bed, which won't see the light of day until she dies. Won't allow me to get rid of them though. There are psychological issues going on and it's a battle I've given up fighting.

I do love finding a good condition, used book at a decent price though. Always makes me feel like I've beaten the system.

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

We have multiple bookcases, all filled to the brim with books we've accumulated over the years. Like Chris', these are stacked any which way, often 2 deep and  ours are largely covered in dust.  It's a safe bet that the vast majority of them will never be read again. I tend to get most of my books from the library, often as audio recordings and we're both avid e-reader users. Therefore, the common sense thing to do would be to sell/donate/throw away several hundred and free up the space. 

I went brutal last time I moved and gave nearly all of them away, otherwise I would have had to hire another van and make 2 trips from Wales to Inverness. Took ages trying to wipe the dust off before the charity came to collect. Might be worth doing a bookcase once in a while on a rainy day, it's quite therapeutic if you're not in a rush. 

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I went brutal last time I moved and gave nearly all of them away, otherwise I would have had to hire another van and make 2 trips from Wales to Inverness. Took ages trying to wipe the dust off before the charity came to collect. Might be worth doing a bookcase once in a while on a rainy day, it's quite therapeutic if you're not in a rush. 

I moved house in October and culled alot of books to charity, still have 10+ boxes in spare room plus a full bookcase in the other and a unit in my bedroom of 1st editions, signed copies or expensiveish rareities. I fucking love the smell of a book, old or new.

Nothing better than falling asleep with a book covering your face, one of lifes wee pleasures for me!

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm very unpopular, for a variety do reasons, one of which is giving books away. I do it with books I bought myself, but because I pass these on, I make the assumption that other people don't mind if I do it with their books, they've lent to me. Then a few weeks later they ask for it back.

I lent someone potentially a very valuable, instantly banned and utterly perverted hardback book by Henry Miller. Opus Pistorum it was called, think the Aristocrats joke. He refused to return it in revenge for me failing to return a crappy paperback a year before because I forgot. Bee A Ware.

P.S. Just checked, worth f**k all. 

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Very nice. Dado joints for the shelves?

No, just straightforward screws, no bowing or sagging with the hard wood, (was old biology lab worktops from the 50's) will try and post a pic later.

[mention=25417]NotThePars[/mention]
The Spectre of Alexander Wolf is a minor classic. 

I picked it up from a Russian art gallery in London a few years back and read it earlier this year. You’re right, it’s really good!

Just cementing how much of a ponce I am.