Bookcase background

Why do people treat books the way they do? Theres this thing where books have to be treated with respect and care, more so than any other form of media. Where does it come from?

Theres absolutely zero throwaway culture with books.

30 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I never throw any books out.  

I recycle ours to the charity shop, and bring replacements home.

Edited by Jacksgranda

35 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

There was someone on here a few weeks back who zoomed into someone's bookcase who was getting interviewed on the news and there was some dodgy sex books I seem to remember. 

Was that not Gove, too?

I went through my bookcase recently to decide which books I might ever read again. Everything else went to the book boxes around town, where people can basically help themselves.

Seems much better than just hoarding books for the sake of it.

I'm very unpopular, for a variety do reasons, one of which is giving books away. I do it with books I bought myself, but because I pass these on, I make the assumption that other people don't mind if I do it with their books, they've lent to me. Then a few weeks later they ask for it back.

39 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why do people treat books the way they do? Theres this thing where books have to be treated with respect and care, more so than any other form of media. Where does it come from?

Theres absolutely zero throwaway culture with books.

Aye when is someone going to be on tv and their background is their collection of PS1 games.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

When interviewed on the news or other TV programmes, many experts position themsevles in front of imposing book cases, perhaps to demonstrate that they are masterfully intelligent and well read

From the current Private Eye

20200529_100915.thumb.jpg.1356af779cce52ea39b26139c683e689.jpg

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t have a bookcase, but I’ve got this. Will this cause P&B more problems than some of Michael Gove’s?... Sits back and prepares to ignore the incoming tsunami of scorn. 🙂

CooperativeFearfulFerret-size_restricted

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

No, I never recognised this guy. No idea who it was. 

Pretty sure he was an academic or other ‘expert’.

If I'm thinking of the same photo I'm pretty sure that the zoomed in section was photo-shopped to make it look they were all dodgy titles.

Very nice, organised shelves from NotThePars.  Some interesting choices, with Mishima balancing out all the Commies, to a degree.

It would be good to have at least one completely ridiculous ot of place book in there but we'll let you off as you said you'd just tidied them.