20 years ago today

whitburn exile

This was back in the day when the club was just called "Whitburn".

I can remember your late secretary Jim Donald berating the whole East Region committee at a meeting, for calling the club "Whitburn Juniors" in some document or other.  

5 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

I can remember your late secretary Jim Donald berating the whole East Region committee at a meeting, for calling the club "Whitburn Juniors" in some document or other.  

Aye and we should have kept with what Jim said. Sadly we’ve been left behind 

14 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

Are you still involved at bathgate

Aye a great day capped off with captain Stevie Prior scoring the winning penalty in the shootout.

How far we have fallen since that day on the playing field,off it Central Park continues to be upgraded and is looking the part.

Only way forward is the EoS league......

7 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Aye a great day capped off with captain Stevie Prior scoring the winning penalty in the shootout.

How far we have fallen since that day on the playing field,off it Central Park continues to be upgraded and is looking the part.

Only way forward is the EoS league......

Absolutely correct, but try mention it in the Facebook group your comment/post isn’t accepted or deleted

On 29/05/2020 at 11:21, AlanCamelonfan said:

Are you still involved at bathgate

No - I was secretary for much of the late 1980s and early 1990s, but gave it up when we moved to Fife and then the offspring arrived.

I drop in for half a dozen or so matches each season, but a part-time supporter really. 

12 hours ago, whitburn exile said:

Absolutely correct, but try mention it in the Facebook group your comment/post isn’t accepted or deleted

Thankfully am not on Facebook W/E.

But that kind of behaviour dosnt surprise me from the committee, some of whom i know. 

I've not been and watched a Whitburn game at Central park for 3 yrs now and neither have quite a few folk I know in the town,not interested in watching a glorified amateur league.

I've been in to watch my laddie play there etc and pop my head in to see what's going on ground wise from time to time.

I've had a few discussions with the committee in the social club as have.a few other guys I know,but it's like talking to a brick wall,hopefully one day they see sense !!

1 hour ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Thankfully am not on Facebook W/E.

But that kind of behaviour dosnt surprise me from the committee, some of whom i know. 

I've not been and watched a Whitburn game at Central park for 3 yrs now and neither have quite a few folk I know in the town,not interested in watching a glorified amateur league.

I've been in to watch my laddie play there etc and pop my head in to see what's going on ground wise from time to time.

I've had a few discussions with the committee in the social club as have.a few other guys I know,but it's like talking to a brick wall,hopefully one day they see sense !!

Hopefully one day before it’s too late. Makes me angry and sad and I’m not even a supporter. Just baffling what good these committees think is going to come of staying Junior.

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Hopefully one day before it’s too late. Makes me angry and sad and I’m not even a supporter. Just baffling what good these committees think is going to come of staying Junior.

Yeah it's like they know its mental,but they're that stuck in their ways they'd do anything to stay where they are.

It's like going to the EoS would be like defeat to them!!

One thing I do know its like 2 men and a dug at the games now so I've been told,crowds have plummeted at Central park over the last 5yrs or so.

8 mile,I work beside Keasty,told him I would be down to the Newton for a game next season hopefully to see LL football.

33 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Yeah it's like they know its mental,but they're that stuck in their ways they'd do anything to stay where they are.

One thing I do know its like 2 men and a dug at the games now so I've been told,crowds have plummeted at Central park over the last 5yrs or so.

8 mile,I work beside Keasty,told him I would be down to the Newton for a game next season hopefully to see LL football.

I’ve not been for years in fact nearly 19 as been living down south and rarely back. My grandpa worked closely with Jim all those years ago and built up a good following but as you say that’s died away. They need to move with the times and move out the juniors. 

in saying that the juniors as a whole should have been part of a proper pyramid years ago.

36 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Well, be sure to say hello if you’re down at Newtown. 

My own personal view, and tbf much of it has been picked up from here, Twitter or talking to a few folk I know in the game - To me it’s as if too many clubs have committees that are of a certain age that have had the rule of the roost for far too long. However, at the same time it also seems like many of these committees are flogging a dead horse.  Some of the attitudes displayed by said committees are like those of petty little kids desperate to do their own thing and prove everyone else wrong, despite it being clear as mud that Junior football has had its day and instead of moving with the times.

2 hours ago, whitburn exile said:

I’ve not been for years in fact nearly 19 as been living down south and rarely back. My grandpa worked closely with Jim all those years ago and built up a good following but as you say that’s died away. They need to move with the times and move out the juniors. 

in saying that the juniors as a whole should have been part of a proper pyramid years ago.

i remember whitburn turning up at carmuirs with bus loads of people. Its a shame to see that

5 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

i remember whitburn turning up at carmuirs with bus loads of people. Its a shame to see that

Yup. In my day used to be at least 2 busses plus cars to most away games. There is potential there to get closer tie with the youngsters get them and their parents along on a Saturday and be a proper community club

14 minutes ago, whitburn exile said:

Yup. In my day used to be at least 2 busses plus cars to most away games. There is potential there to get closer tie with the youngsters get them and their parents along on a Saturday and be a proper community club

Thats how our clubs attendances went up. We have the youth teams and get some of them and the parents along to senior games