Wearing Face Masks

Face Masks  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bollocks, they usually have more staff watching the barriers than they used to have collecting tickets. And they have ticket inspectors. Think I've only seen one or two people smoking on a train since the ban, and one of them was me.

There are less than 10 stations in the Central Belt with ticket barriers.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So everyone smokes like the old days, or do they vape like mad?

I don't know why that's relevant.

It is physically impossible to prevent everyone from boarding a train in Scotland without a mask on. I don't understand how you can even begin to disagree with that.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't know why that's relevant.

It is physically impossible to prevent everyone from boarding a train in Scotland without a mask on. I don't understand how you can even begin to disagree with that.

Because 99% of people follow the rules. They didn't need police truncheoning smokers in the face in pubs and trains after the smoking ban.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Because 99% of people follow the rules. They didn't need police truncheoning smokers in the face in pubs and trains after the smoking ban.

People don't smoke indoors as it's A illegal and B punishable with a fine.

If wearing a mask on a train is required by law and non compliance punishable by a fine then people will wear masks. If not, many won't.

Not solely because people are arseholes but because, like i mentioned earlier, they aren't readily available.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

None of which changes the fact that, unlike people boarding an aircraft, it's impossible to prevent absolutely everyone not wearing a mask from boarding a train.

You're just being silly now. If there is no law preventing you getting on a train or plane without a face mask, nobody could stop you. It's about establishing a social norm. If that doesn't work, make it illegal and it would be the same as smoking. 

Been wearing one for the main supermarket shop and the odd visit to the local shop since the lockdown. It’s no hassle at all. Only a rough guess but reckon only about 2 perhaps 3 people out of 10 that I encounter, also wear a face mask.
Accept that there are doubts over their effectiveness, but take the view that at least some sort of barrier is there to deflect sneezes and coughs and is better than nothing for me and fellow shoppers. Bought a pack x2 of washable/reusable masks online (£10) from a company down in Nottingham that have been match donating the same pack of two to the NHS & local social care providers with every purchase.[emoji106]

Nope, I don't wear a facemask. 

I have Aspergers and I have sensory issues with anything near my face. It took me three years of meltdowns and tantrums to finally cope with wearing glasses without launching them across the room every five minutes. A mask would just have me a seething, broiling ball of aggression constantly, and I have no intention of putting myself through that in public.

Compulsory where I am - punishment is either having to sing the national anthem or stand/sit in  a public area for a few hours under the hot sun.  I don't think they'd accept me singing "God Save The Queen "  so it's the stocks for me. 

9 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The price of face masks is going to plummet once this Coronavirus thing is over so it's probably worth holding off from buying them until then. 

exPgGKiFgStLX4pTK7az_bLsWyE=.gif

“This year I invested in face masks. They’ve been going up the whole year and I got a feeling they’re going to peak right around 2022. Then bang! That’s when I’ll cash in.”

9 hours ago, 101 said:

I assume as airlines can prevent you from boarding without a mask could the train operators not do the same, it would mean you could sit closer than 2m 

Scotrail have said they will not be enforcing mask use. 

Compare that to Spain where I read two people were arrested for going into a MacDonalds without facemasks.

People are always whining on about fascist Tories and police state but in this crisis all we've seen is government "advising", "suggesting" and "Please, pretty please". Pathetic. Too late into lockdown, too soon out of it, mealy-mouthed about face masks - it's why we've got one of the worst death rates in the world.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Is anyone able to clarify where exactly they’ve bought face masks without being charged a small fortune?

Ebay, can get one for about five quid and delivered in a few days. Not medical grade quality but does the job.

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Is anyone able to clarify where exactly they’ve bought face masks without being charged a small fortune?

This is exactly why it's difficult to make masks compulsory until supply is sorted. Bought about a hundred disposable ones off ebay for not a ridiculous amount a while back, but half of them are fucked. I think the message is to make your own.