2020/21 Highland League Fixtures

welshbairn

Nairn manager thinks it could make it less predictable, a run of 2 or 3 decent results could make all the difference. 

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/shorter-highland-league-season-makes-it-anybodys-game-says-nairn-manager-210966/

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...

Fixtures for the opening three weekends of the coming season...

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 17th, 2020

Brora Rangers v Inverurie Loco Works
Buckie Thistle v Clachnacuddin
Deveronvale v Rothes
Formartine United v Huntly
Forres Mechanics v Turriff United
Fort William v Lossiemouth
Nairn County v Keith
Wick Academy v Strathspey Thistle
Free Club - Fraserburgh

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24th, 2020

Buckie Thistle v Forres Mechanics
Formartine United v Nairn County
Huntly v Brora Rangers
Inverurie Loco Works v Clachnacuddin
Keith v Fort William
Lossiemouth v Wick Academy
Rothes v Fraserburgh
Turriff United v Deveronvale
Free Club - Strathspey Thistle

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31st, 2020

Clachnacuddin v Huntly
Deveronvale v Buckie Thistle
Forres Mechanics v Inverurie Loco Works
Fort William v Formartine United
Fraserburgh v Turriff United
Nairn County v Brora Rangers
Strathspey Thistle v Lossiemouth
Wick Academy v Keith
Free Club - Rothes FC

Please note - these fixtures are contingent upon receiving Government advice that matches may proceed with spectators in attendance.

4 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Fixtures for the opening three weekends of the coming season...

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 17th, 2020

Brora Rangers v Inverurie Loco Works
Buckie Thistle v Clachnacuddin
Deveronvale v Rothes
Formartine United v Huntly
Forres Mechanics v Turriff United
Fort William v Lossiemouth
Nairn County v Keith
Wick Academy v Strathspey Thistle
Free Club - Fraserburgh

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24th, 2020

Buckie Thistle v Forres Mechanics
Formartine United v Nairn County
Huntly v Brora Rangers
Inverurie Loco Works v Clachnacuddin
Keith v Fort William
Lossiemouth v Wick Academy
Rothes v Fraserburgh
Turriff United v Deveronvale
Free Club - Strathspey Thistle

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 31st, 2020

Clachnacuddin v Huntly
Deveronvale v Buckie Thistle
Forres Mechanics v Inverurie Loco Works
Fort William v Formartine United
Fraserburgh v Turriff United
Nairn County v Brora Rangers
Strathspey Thistle v Lossiemouth
Wick Academy v Keith
Free Club - Rothes FC

Please note - these fixtures are contingent upon receiving Government advice that matches may proceed with spectators in attendance.

9 points, Jimmy?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Looks like a standard Highland League crowd here, nae bother. Sort it out please. 600 limit there apparently.

Remember on Twitter that a lot of English non league fans / clubs started a #LetFansIn campaign that eventually caught the attention of the Sports Secretary Oliver Dowden. 

Just wondering if something similar is needed here? I don’t know if there’s a Scottish equivalent to try & reach out to, but something along those lines seems like it’d be worth a try - what do you guys think?

Just now, MrMartinBlack9 said:

Remember on Twitter that a lot of English non league fans / clubs started a #LetFansIn campaign that eventually caught the attention of the Sports Secretary Oliver Dowden. 

Just wondering if something similar is needed here? I don’t know if there’s a Scottish equivalent to try & reach out to, but something along those lines seems like it’d be worth a try - what do you guys think?

I'm not on twitter but we should distinguish it from the SPFL and just involve the SFA if necessary. I realise that a lot of League 1 and 2 clubs and a few Championship clubs are in a similar position, but having Doncaster oaring in with "what about Rangers and Celtic" etc would complicate what is a much simpler issue when you have an average of up to 300 turning up. You could as a last resort offer to restrict it to season ticket holders which would make controlling it much simpler, with hopefully a reciprocal arrangement for away fans. It would depend on a fair amount of people buying season tickets for the first time, otherwise it would be unaffordable for the clubs. I don't know anyone at Clach who has one, even people who go to every game, so hopefully that wouldn't be necessary, just shut the gates if and when the maximum number is reached.

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not on twitter but we should distinguish it from the SPFL and just involve the SFA if necessary. I realise that a lot of League 1 and 2 clubs and a few Championship clubs are in a similar position, but having Doncaster oaring in with "what about Rangers and Celtic" etc would complicate what is a much simpler issue when you have an average of up to 300 turning up. You could as a last resort offer to restrict it to season ticket holders which would make controlling it much simpler, with hopefully a reciprocal arrangement for away fans. It would depend on a fair amount of people buying season tickets for the first time, otherwise it would be unaffordable for the clubs. I don't know anyone at Clach who has one, even people who go to every game, so hopefully that wouldn't be necessary, just shut the gates if and when the maximum number is reached.

That definitely makes sense, maybe worth bringing the Joint Response Groups attention to it? I don’t know whether they’re aligned with the SPFL or just the SFA though.

Agree with you about the season ticket scenario - I actually had one for Brora last season, but haven’t heard anything about clubs offering them this season - maybe because of the uncertainty? Saying that though, clubs in the SLFL seem to be offering them.

I think you’d get a lot of people willing to buy a season ticket if it made getting crowds back / going to support their clubs easier anyway. Plus season tickets are often better value then paying on the gate for every home game.

A petition launched by a Fitbanorth poster. It makes a mockery of all the efforts we're making to abide by the advice we're given if a couple of hundred people spread over a couple of acres can't watch a game of football, with all the efforts made by clubs to make it safe. 

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/scottish-football-needs-it-s-fans-back

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A petition launched by a Fitbanorth poster. It makes a mockery of all the efforts we're making to abide by the advice we're given if a couple of hundred people spread over a couple of acres can't watch a game of football, with all the efforts made by clubs to make it safe. 

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/scottish-football-needs-it-s-fans-back

'I agree with government restrictions until they affect me and my hobbies, in which case they're terribly unfair all of a sudden'.

Still, I'm sure that 36 signature petition - one that didn't even have a cursory proof check of 'it's' [sic] title before publication - will have a huge impact on government policy.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It's not rational to ban something that with a modicum of control can be no more dangerous than a walk in the park.

I forgot that you were a qualified epidemiologist who can assess such risks. The reality of course is that you're only questioning this particular restriction because it affects something that you really want to do and should have a special exemption for: there's no basis for this in fact though. As of right now, you cannot even meet with people from more than two households outdoors in Scotland so your och let my chosen grade of spectactor sports go ahead whining is completely off the agenda.

Clubs have been working on plans to get folk into the grounds and they should be ready for whenever they're allowed, but it's something of a problem getting players to and from games, and getting them cleaned up afterwards so they don't have to sit on a bus or in a car all the way from Wick to Lossie or wherever without having had a shower at full time. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I forgot that you were a qualified epidemiologist who can assess such risks. The reality of course is that you're only questioning this particular restriction because it affects something that you really want to do and should have a special exemption for: there's no basis for this in fact though. As of right now, you cannot even meet with people from more than two households outdoors in Scotland so your och let my chosen grade of spectactor sports go ahead whining is completely off the agenda.

Always perplexed when people who one assumes are football fans - why would one be on here if not? - seem to have such a downer on supporting the notion of using agreed protocols / precautions to get fans back to watch the game that they love..

If we take your argument above, then the same logic would mean that none of us would be able to go into a supermarket whilst other people that are not part of one's own two family / households group are in there, & would have to wait outside until everybody else came out. But it doesn't work that way. We're all permitted to go into the Tesco around the corner from Borough Briggs, as long as we follow the agreed precautions of washing / sanitising our hands, wearing a face mask, & keeping our distance from others - & Tesco is responsible for determining if too many people are in there & accordingly restricting capacity - yet we can't go into BB to watch a football match, where similarly capacity could be restricted as deemed necessary / safe. Likewise when Elgin played Lossiemouth in a friendly a couple of weeks back, & everybody could go to the funfair that was set up on the ground beside BB, with nobody restricting capacity, but couldn't go in to watch the football. Logic suggests that if we're trusted to go shopping & go to the funfair, then why not another where similar precautions can be in place?  Doesn't it?