Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

2 hours ago, virginton said:

The revisionist take of Clinton as an opponent of NATO expansion in the 1990s

Wait what? 

ETA: lol just read the article. People really be saying anything.

Edited by NotThePars

You were directly comparing conditions in Belarus to Ukraine, chump. The fact that you made a roaring c**t of your pea-brained 'analysis' is really not my problem tbh. 

And I said Ukraine was a bastion of democracy and a utopia of sorts, yeah? No bother. [emoji23]

Years upon years of pseudo-intellectual snobbery from you to essentially every poster you interact with on this site says a lot about you more than my supposed “pea-brained” analysis says about myself.

43 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Years upon years of pseudo-intellectual snobbery from you to essentially every poster you interact with on this site says a lot about you more than my supposed “pea-brained” analysis says about myself.

Significant report doubts that Russia will actually launch a full scale invasion, despite the optics to the East and a significant build up of forces in Belarus.

Worth a read. The drumbeat of war seems to be sounding much louder in the West.

https://kyivindependent.com/national/center-for-defense-strategies-how-probable-is-large-scale-war-in-ukraine-analysis/

9 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Significant report doubts that Russia will actually launch a full scale invasion, despite the optics to the East and a significant build up of forces in Belarus.

Worth a read. The drumbeat of war seems to be sounding much louder in the West.

https://kyivindependent.com/national/center-for-defense-strategies-how-probable-is-large-scale-war-in-ukraine-analysis/

This isn't really inconsistent with most of the more sensible commentary in the West, including the official state views. 

They're saying that Russia isn't going to try to Annex Ukraine. I haven't seen anyone seriously suggest they are. 

They do say

•  A large-scale armed escalation in eastern Ukraine with the official entrance of the Russian armed forces into territories currently under occupation is very real. Attempts to break the Ukrainian lines and a general intensification of hostilities are possible.

Good to see the US respecting the sovereignty of a European state;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/27/nord-stream-2-gas-pipeline-wont-open-if-russia-invades-ukraine-says-us

There is no evidence of German leaders actually committing to scrap Nordstream 2 at all, but who cares about that when there's an imperialist bully state on the scene. 

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

This isn't really inconsistent with most of the more sensible commentary in the West, including the official state views. 

They're saying that Russia isn't going to try to Annex Ukraine. I haven't seen anyone seriously suggest they are. 

They do say

•  A large-scale armed escalation in eastern Ukraine with the official entrance of the Russian armed forces into territories currently under occupation is very real. Attempts to break the Ukrainian lines and a general intensification of hostilities are possible.

'Anglosphere' coverage over the past fortnight has been fixated on Russian joint exercises with Belarus - north of Ukraine, not in the east - and the prospect of a contemporary blitzkrieg aimed at Kiev. Not to mention the creation of a 'puppet' Ukrainian government, with candidates being openly labelled as such by Western governments. 

The West has insisted that Russian forces were behind the eastern Ukraine and Crimea occupations all along which means that they can hardly cry wolf about a merely presence now. So a mere 'intensification of hostilities' in a multi-year war zone in eastern Ukraine will quite rightly be filed in the bin as a non-issue by the public. 

Edited by vikingTON

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

'Anglosphere' coverage over the past fortnight has been fixated on Russian joint exercises with Belarus - north of Ukraine, not in the east - and the prospect of a contemporary blitzkrieg aimed at Kiev.

The West has insisted that Russian forces were behind the eastern Ukraine and Crimea occupations all along which means that they can hardly cry wolf about a merely presence now. So a mere 'intensification of hostilities' in a multi-year war zone in eastern Ukraine will quite rightly be filed in the bin as a non-issue by the public. 

You must be seeing different stuff to me then.

Everything i've seen is about whether Russia will be sending official forces into Donbas to support its unofficial forces and ethnic Russian separatists that it already supports. No suggestion that Kiev is remotely at risk. 

I'm not saying that what i've seen is representative of the mainstream. I just assume that the TV news will be rubbish so have no idea what Dan and Naga think, for example. 

It looks like the Ukrainan government are starting to have some doubts about the USA's plans for their immediate future. 

Maidan was almost 8 years ago and they haven't seen a single benefit from it unless you enjoy neo nazi paramilitary parades. 

Edited by Detournement