Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

2 hours ago, jagfox OG said:

What winter Olympic events are popular in 'Straylya?

There was that lad who won the speedskating in 2002.

He won his heat, then got through the qf when the guy in second got dq'ed and he got upgraded to a qualifying position.

Then in the semi-final, 3 guys crashed, he won the race and made it to the final, where this happened...

5 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 07/12/2021 at 16:43, Detournement said:
It's that time to hype Russia invading Ukraine for some abstract reason no one can actually explain. 

It's being peddled by the SFA . Perhaps the Ukrainian football team will be unable to fulfill their fixtures thus handing a walk over to their opponents.

Can we get someone to invade Wales then so I don't have to watch 90 minutes of Bale throwing himself at the deck and Scotland missing out due to an absolute laugher of a penalty award?

Assange appeal decision tomorrow. 

Given that this week we have had an apololgy to the Greenfell families, the Afghanistan 'whistleblower', the electoral commission decision on illegal funding of Boris's home and the introduction of Vaccine Passports I think we can guess how this is going to go. 

Get all the bad news out in one week. Assange will get parked in SuperMax ahead of trial until Biden is out of office.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/12/xi-jinping-china-beijing-new-age-of-imperialism

Imperialism, in all its awful forms, still poses a threat. But it is no longer the imperialism of the west, rightly execrated and self-condemned. Today’s threat emanates from the east. Just as objectionable, and potentially more dangerous, it’s the prospect of a totalitarian 21st-century Chinese global empire.

Seems legit. INTERACTIVE-US-military-presence-around-the-world.thumb.png.3655b9a630d3b0b63bb84a7a9d4a24ed.png

25 minutes ago, virginton said:

Laughable the claims on how Chinese naval basis 7000 miles away in africa could be a threat to the US, given the Chinese navy 7000 miles away in in erm china haven't been an issue in modern times.

Edited by parsforlife

Article about the sale of Turkish drones to Ukraine and the impact Turkeys drone industry is having on defence and diplomatic policy.

https://www.newsweek.com/forget-us-military-aid-putin-eyes-threat-turkish-drones-ukraine-1660285

I’m glad someone makes the point here that in a hot war between Russia and Ukraine these drones would be destroyed almost immediately by Moscow. 

13 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Article about the sale of Turkish drones to Ukraine and the impact Turkeys drone industry is having on defence and diplomatic policy.

https://www.newsweek.com/forget-us-military-aid-putin-eyes-threat-turkish-drones-ukraine-1660285

I’m glad someone makes the point here that in a hot war between Russia and Ukraine these drones would be destroyed almost immediately by Moscow. 

The danger seems to be that the drones could force the Russians to go all in, rather than just dressing up their troops in Donbas clobber to back up the rebels.

On 06/08/2021 at 15:17, ICTChris said:

This thread has some more videos and details in it.

Looks like Druze villagers twigged that Hezbollah were moving rockets through their village and stopped the truck and seized the weapons.  The Lebanese Army attended, confiscated the weapons and arrested four people moving them, presumably Hezbollah fighters.

I can't pretend to keep up with the mechanations of Lebanese politics but I think the Druze political party are opposed to Hezbollah. 

Looks like you're probably right, I know nothing about Lebanese politics, either, though.

The situation in Kazakhstan is very worrying, here are some of initial thoughts.

Kazakhstan (Kazakh: Қазақстан, romanized: Qazaqstan; Russian: Казахстан, romanized: Kazakhstan), officially the Republic of Kazakhstan,[d] is a country located mainly in Central Asia.[e] It borders Russia in the north and west, China in the east, and Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan in the south. The capital is Nur-Sultan, formerly known as Astana. It was moved from Almaty, the country's largest city, in 1997. Kazakhstan is the world's largest landlocked country, the world's largest Muslim-majority country by land area (and the northernmost), and the ninth-largest country in the world. It has a population of 18.8 million, and one of the lowest population densities in the world, at fewer than 6 people per square kilometre (15 people per sq mi).

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I saw someone say the following article is a good primer on what's happening.

https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/2022/01/05/otmorozhennyi-kholodilnik

Obviously need to translate it unless you speak Russian.

Clearly clicking on a Russian based link is a risk! It pretty much says its all kicking off due to fuel prices. Putin saying other countries need to stay out of it although he won't as he is a cun..... glorious leader who will solve the worlds ills 🥴