Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

39 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Radio Free Europe was exposed as as CIA front 50 years ago. It's had a cosmetic leadership change since then but it's primarily a regime change operation.

38 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I think even Wiki acknowledges they were covertly funded by the CIA lol

Okay, that's certainly noteworthy. I'm sure you both know I sincerely didn't know rather than trying to snipe. 

12 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

why did you leave the SNP? was there any particular reason

I signed up in the hazy days of late 2014 and found by 2017 I was sufficiently confident in my own politics and not sold on the SNP's that I didn't want to be a member. 

Tbf the guy's not even saying what Belarus has done is good, just pointing out it's a pretty pointless thing to say Western governments should step in because they don't really care, and a hypocritical/daft idea to imply that Western governments are much better, when we know they're not 

24 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Tbf the guy's not even saying what Belarus has done is good, just pointing out it's a pretty pointless thing to say Western governments should step in because they don't really care, and a hypocritical/daft idea to imply that Western governments are much better, when we know they're not 

Lots of people don't like David Jamieson for a host of reasons and work from there tbh

I dont see falling or stagnating populations as being a bad thing really, I see a lot of potential positives to it and it should be getting discussed more.  It needs real leadership in how a country deals with it but any country/economy that thinks it has to have constant population growth to survive is propping up an economy that is akin to a pyramid scheme that is unsustainable in long term and any political parties or leaders saying otherwise are part of the problem and are completely out of date.
I kinda agree with what you're saying, but declining/ageing populations will really turn the economy on its head. It's pretty much running on the principle that spending by the young leads to growth in the savings/investments by the old. It'll be a very different world when that breaks down. Not necessarily a worse one, but I don't think the ride will be particularly pleasant and I guess most of us posting here will be plowing through the turbulence.

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The EU are already issuing decrees chastising Belarus for not liberalising their economy and offering 3 billion of "investment" if Belarus becomes "democratic" ie neoliberal.

It worked out really well for Ukraine.

Edited by Detournement

On 25/05/2021 at 17:11, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I did not see this one coming

John Cena has apologised, in Mandarin, to the people of China after committing the heinous crime of referring to Taiwan a country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57241053

This reminds me of that time a few years ago when Blizzard had to suck on China's ringpiece over a comment on Hong Kong.

Meanwhile China forces more than a million Uighurs into 're-education camps'.

2 hours ago, Pato said:

image.thumb.png.73a14d156a1f354cac6cc792dc99e01a.png

It's good they're doing this but the reparation seems pretty low, I mean they really went to town on the Herero at the turn of the century. Just read it's being spent over 30 years. Pretty insulting really.

Thomas Pynchon writes about the genocide in Sudwest Afrika in V and Gravity's Rainbow. It's horrific and serves to prove that the Nazis weren't an aberration but the inevitable conclusion of enlightenment imperialist values. 

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

...and serves to prove that the Nazis weren't an aberration but the inevitable conclusion of enlightenment imperialist values. 

What do Enlightenment notions like liberté, egalité, fraternité have to do with imperialist values?