Geopolitics in the 2020s.

dorlomin

Guest JTS98

The Party in China has now, in its infinite wisdom, pulled Premier League football.

Not the first time they've pulled such a stunt. Restricting your population's access to popular sport events is definitely a good PR move and definitely a sign of a government in tune with its people and showing good decision making.

The West should be rejoicing and thanking its lucky stars that the main geopolitical rival of the age is run by complete clowns.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/china-state-tv-blacks-out-english-soccer-amid-spat-with-u-k

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

The Party in China has now, in its infinite wisdom, pulled Premier League football.

Not the first time they've pulled such a stunt. Restricting your population's access to popular sport events is definitely a good PR move and definitely a sign of a government in tune with its people and showing good decision making.

The West should be rejoicing and thanking its lucky stars that the main geopolitical rival of the age is run by complete clowns.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/china-state-tv-blacks-out-english-soccer-amid-spat-with-u-k

They  showed it in full with an hour's delay, I think Bloomberg have added 1+ 1 and got 5 here. And it showed normally on the streaming service.

Guest JTS98
20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They  showed it in full with an hour's delay, I think Bloomberg have added 1+ 1 and got 5 here. And it showed normally on the streaming service.

Imagine the reaction on Twitter etc of watching armchair fans if the UK government delayed tv transmission of a big Champions League game by an hour due to a dispute with the Spanish government over Gibraltar?

Armchair fans in China will react the same way.

The Party are petty fools. Pretty much every week we see them demonstrate this is some mis-step or other.

They don't have a system that rewards clear thinking and good strategy. They have a system that encourages being the guy seen to be falling over yourself to please the gaffer, whether the decision is sensible or utterly daft. Time and time again.

Edited by JTS98

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Imagine the reaction on Twitter etc of watching armchair fans if the UK government delayed tv transmission of a big Champions League game by an hour due to a dispute with the Spanish government over Gibraltar?

Armchair fans in China will react the same way.

The Party are petty fools. Pretty much every week we see them demonstrate this is some mis-step or other.

People are jumping on everything to stir up things with China and vice versa at the moment, could just as well have been a dodgy satellite or scheduling issue. BBC's man in Shanghai said the Foreign Office didn't have a clue what he was on about when he asked them. We should find out if there's anything to the Bloomberg story on Sunday if Leicester Man U shows on time or not.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

People are jumping on everything to stir up things with China and vice versa at the moment, could just as well have been ) a dodgy satellite or scheduling issue. BBC's man in Shanghai said 2) the Foreign Office didn't have a clue what he was on about when he asked them. 3) We should find out if there's anything to the Bloomberg story on Sunday if Leicester Man U shows on time or not.

1) Unlikely since there was no satellite problem anywhere else, the issue was known about long before kick-off, and it's hard to see what might keep Liverpool of Chinese tv at that time.

2) What would it have to do with the Foreign Office?

3) Possibly. Or possibly someone more senior will intervene and tell them not to be daft.

Nobody is saying delaying a football match will bring about the end of The Party. But they're clearly fucking idiots. Ultimately, I'm pretty sure they'll bring about their own demise. All the signs are there.

Just now, JTS98 said:

1) Unlikely since there was no satellite problem anywhere else, the issue was known about long before kick-off, and it's hard to see what might keep Liverpool of Chinese tv at that time.

2) What would it have to do with the Foreign Office?

3) Possibly. Or possibly someone more senior will intervene and tell them not to be daft.

Nobody is saying delaying a football match will bring about the end of The Party. But they're clearly fucking idiots. Ultimately, I'm pretty sure they'll bring about their own demise. All the signs are there.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Disinformation and denial strategies are a mix of genius and incompetence.  RT is a perfect example.

28 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Thoughts and prayers to the lads in Hunan province who wont be able to see Burnley v Norwich.

I don’t know.  Soon as the lockdown’s over I know where I’m heading!

The USA and it's vassals are clearly trying to exclude China from the global market by things like banning Huawei so China will obviously respond.

You really need to have a Lorraine Kelly level understanding of politics to think people are going to turn against a government which reduced poverty by 80% in their lifetime because of what sport they can get on the telly. 

Edited by Detournement

10 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

China's a *massively* racist country dude.

I've never been to China but I'm very suspicious of the sudden promotion of racism within China right when BLM has put a huge focus on race in the West. It stinks of more Cold War propaganda.

There is also a difference between your average Chinese punter being racist/xenophobic and the state being structured to promote Han supremacy. 

2 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Do you believe China has imprisoned a lot of Uighurs?

It's not very clear what's happening. The Organisation for Islamic Co-operation looked into it and said the concentration camp allegations aren't true. I don't buy the stories about trying to stamp out Islam due to the number of mosques.

Whatever is going on is obviously something that wouldn't happen in the West but at the same time nowhere in the West presently has large populations which are far less socially developed than the rest of the country. The USSR had similar issues and Russia remains very diverse. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's not very clear what's happening. The Organisation for Islamic Co-operation looked into it and said the concentration camp allegations aren't true. I don't buy the stories about trying to stamp out Islam due to the number of mosques.

Whatever is going on is obviously something that wouldn't happen in the West but at the same time nowhere in the West presently has large populations which are far less socially developed than the rest of the country. The USSR had similar issues and Russia remains very diverse. 

The OIC support what the Saudis are doing in Yemen, I wouldn't take their position on anything as a get out of jail free card.

https://www.arabnews.com/saudi-arabia/news/723946

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Do you believe China are building on sites of cultural significance to minorities like Uighurs?

I have no idea. Neither do you. 

It's clear that the USA are ramping up a new cold war and like the last one disinformation and propaganda will be a huge part of it.

Even if they are it just brings China into line with the USA, Russia, Australia, Brazil, the UK etc. 

Edited by Detournement

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Do you believe unless you've seen something with your own eyes, no other evidence is admissible?

You forgot the caveat: unless it's something which makes the US, the  UK, the EU or any state which he doesn't ideologically agree with look bad.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan