East of Scotland League 1966-67 and 1972-73

sfha

I've put up a page of EOSL tables, http://sfha.org.uk/eosltables.pdf and two seasons have flummoxed me.

In 1966-67, Raith reserves qualified for the championship section but I have no note of their record. The table I have has the other seven clubs playing 6 or 8 matches so the table is not final but does balance apart from the goals which are out by 2.

Question is did Raith actually compete ?

In 1972-73 Edinburgh Uni are missing from the table but it is certain there were 15 clubs competing. Depending on how many matches they played (an even number between 20 and 28?) plus an odd number of draws I leaning towards a points tally in the 20s.

I can't access newspapers for these years and would be grateful for any assistance.

There was a history of the EOSL by Alick Milne serialised in the Edinburgh City programme a few seasons back. I might try and find the relevant programmes for you if I have time (he said during lockdown!)

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. I'm currently working on the South of Scotland and Highland Leagues (and associated leagues) at the moment.

I was in contact with Alick many years ago, he sent me Edinburgh & Distirict [senior] League info as well as club colours etc.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/05/2020 at 21:12, sfha said:

I've put up a page of EOSL tables, http://sfha.org.uk/eosltables.pdf and two seasons have flummoxed me.

In 1966-67, Raith reserves qualified for the championship section but I have no note of their record. The table I have has the other seven clubs playing 6 or 8 matches so the table is not final but does balance apart from the goals which are out by 2.

Question is did Raith actually compete ?

In 1972-73 Edinburgh Uni are missing from the table but it is certain there were 15 clubs competing. Depending on how many matches they played (an even number between 20 and 28?) plus an odd number of draws I leaning towards a points tally in the 20s.

I can't access newspapers for these years and would be grateful for any assistance.

1966-67 - Raith Rovers competed in the Championship section.  This was a lousy season for newspaper coverage, though, and I've only a handful of results - games against Eyemouth (H), Gala (A), Hawick (A) and Gala (H), and no League tables after 24th March.  I can't find my notes from the Fife Free Press for 1967, and there's nothing anywhere else to suggest they withdrew before the end of the season.  Once the libraries are open I'll overhaul my notes and let you know.

1972/73 - Edinburgh University competed for the whole of this season.  I think the table you looked at, from the Border Telegraph, accidentally missed Uni out - they appeared in every other printed table that season, into April.  The Southern Reporter (19/04/1973) has Uni on P.25  W.8  D.7  L.10  F.44  A.55  Pts.23  but I haven't checked the table for consistency yet.  There are possibly three other matches to be added in after that date, a draw and two defeats.

I had an intriguing reply from Andy Mitchell regarding Uni,

".... from the book about Duns FC by Colin Pike, which covers the season in detail.

He lists the league table each week, and at 14 April 1973 it includes Edinburgh University with a record of P25, W8, D7, L10, F43, A45, Pts23.

The following week the Uni are missing, and Colin notes 'The eagle eyed among you will have noticed that Edinburgh University were not included in the above table, or the actual final table. The reason? Your guess is as good as mine'     "

Mysterious!