Scott Walker

Jimi Shandrix

In terms of albums, I would struggle to choose between Scott 3 and Scott 4 with a controversial outside bet on Climate Of Hunter. His 4 tracks on Nite Flights make me wish he'd been given free reign on the whole record. The Electrician in particular is sensational.

I like Tilt and the Drift but also Scott 3&4 - not sure there's much of a thread through it all except the voice but that seems to be ample.

To tell the truth one of my favourites is a ballad from his not really trying years, a Paul Anka song called Do I Love You. Lol

And the Walkers at their most boyband, my ship is coming in and that. 

Seek out the film of you haven't seen it: 30 Century Man. Especially you @Yoss

In 2016, on a complete whim and without having ever listened to him before, I got one of those album sets that HMV sell that had Scott Walker's first five albums with the CDs each in a cardboard slipcase. Minimalistic packaging, but still one of the best tenners I've ever spent.

20200524_000406.thumb.jpg.b1e65daf3f975927a722ea500fc37e5c.jpg

20200524_000458.thumb.jpg.b971f6a263a0730936ba23c8afabbc5c.jpg

In 2016, on a complete whim and without having ever listened to him before, I got one of those album sets that HMV sell that had Scott Walker's first five albums with the CDs each in a cardboard slipcase. Minimalistic packaging, but still one of the best tenners I've ever spent.
20200524_000406.thumb.jpg.b1e65daf3f975927a722ea500fc37e5c.jpg
20200524_000458.thumb.jpg.b971f6a263a0730936ba23c8afabbc5c.jpg
Ditto!! That exact set was a fixture in my old car and I was gutted when my new car didn't have a CD player! I also bought it on a whim, in my case at the till at Fopp Rose St.

By the time the Scott Walker Prom came along in 2017 I was taking the view: about time you acknowledge this man! About time, for shame!

There was also a four part doc on 6 Music pre-prom which firmly cemented his music for me, and an interview Jarvis Cocker did with him.

I've got a weirdly specific memory of listening to one of those episodes, the one with The Electrician, walking from the viaduct at the Sun Inn to Dalhousie Castle.

Of the artists pre my lifetime, I think he's up there with Bowie in terms of who I listen to regularly today.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

From Wiki :-

"From the mid-1980s onward, Walker revived his solo career while moving in an increasingly avant-garde direction;[6][7][8] of this period in his career, The Guardian said "imagine Andy Williams reinventing himself as Stockhausen".[3] Walker's 1960s recordings were highly regarded by the 1980s UK underground music scene, and gained a cult following. "