3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

A bit black and white. A deer can live its whole life in the wild and be shot by someone who found the experience thrilling who then chops it up and fills their freezer, a cheap steak comes from a cow that has lived its life in a dusty pen in Argentina that's never seen a blade of grass.

^^^^ Buys-cheap-foreign-meat type post

4 hours ago, bennett said:

Taking pleasure at killing is a bit strong.  I've never really been that much into hunting and shooting but I'm not seeing anything wrong with people shooting birds/deer/rabbits etc, a better source of food than a lot of farmed produce.

I mainly fish C&R now but I'll still chap the occasional fish or two. 

What fish are you catching/killing?

I always C&R, but then I don’t eat fish (can’t stand it), and also because I fish for pike.

27 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Lucky you.

Totally, it's a god send and I will not ever take it for granted. Going to be horrible the day my guy leaves/retires and I have to go back to either cheap supermarket pish (most likely) or paying through the nose from a butchers. 

I can see why people would enjoy hunting - being in the outdoors, the patience of the stalking, the skill of accurately firing, the craft of butchering the deer, the thrill of having forest sex with the still warm corpse.

Count me in!

9 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

During WWII, my grandfather had the front of his butcher's van strengthened. He also carried a tripod to use to hang and gut any deer he hit.

Venison wasn't on the ration, so it was a lucrative sideline.

Was your grandfather Corporal Jones?!

You would think all the panthers and pumas supposedly roaming the countryside would keep the deer population down 

My Finnish friend told me about elk there 1) if you hit one your car is likely to be knacked 2) you are also meant to phone the police who will come and shoot the elk to put it out of its misery

10 hours ago, hearthammer said:

That's why i mentioned the provenance before.  It's more expensive, but the quality is superb.  All their foods are genuinely free range.

Anyway, you enjoy your Tesco chicken.  Remember to ring oot the chlorine before you stick it in the oven.

It's the Yanks who put chlorine in chicken, it's banned in the UK.

4 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

That's even weirder than seeing him in a Motherwell top.

I remember exactly where I was the first time I saw that - sitting binging all day on the Tom Green show, eating pizza and drinking beer circa 2001 on the Gold Coast with my Aussie mate and when that sketch came on, excitedly explaining to him that that was a Motherwell kit, much to my mate's complete indifference. 

14 hours ago, hearthammer said:

That's why i mentioned the provenance before.  It's more expensive, but the quality is superb.  All their foods are genuinely free range.

Anyway, you enjoy your Tesco chicken.  Remember to ring oot the chlorine before you stick it in the oven.

I've never tasted any difference between normal priced chicken and the trendier organic ones tbf, it depends on how they're cooked.

There’s 2 female deer I see fairly regularly out on my walk with the dog at night in Milton of Leys.  We think they’re actually stuck in the fairly open, next to a busy road section of land that has been swallowed up by houses and a new footpath in the last year. 

They always appear near the co op at the top of the hill, we think they raid the bins for food at night to keep them going. 

It was nearly 20 years ago so things may have changed but we were on holiday in NZ and noticed a few deer farms as we made our way around. Basically the fields were bigger than see normally for cows or sheep and the fences were obviously higher. I wondered why we don't have deer farms like that here as it seems a lot more efficient than try to shoot the wild ones.

Maybe we do have them and I've not seen them or maybe there just isn't the market for them?

It was nearly 20 years ago so things may have changed but we were on holiday in NZ and noticed a few deer farms as we made our way around. Basically the fields were bigger than see normally for cows or sheep and the fences were obviously higher. I wondered why we don't have deer farms like that here as it seems a lot more efficient than try to shoot the wild ones.

Maybe we do have them and I've not seen them or maybe there just isn't the market for them?
There's a few commercial deer farms but you're right, for some reason there isn't great demand for venison which is crazy.

Bulk of venison sales by game dealers will be collected from estates and are wild deer.

The Sami people in Sweden sued the government for rights to control hunting and fishing permits and won. This may now stop mining projects in Sweden’s far north if they interfere with traditional Sami herding routes.

https://amp.economist.com/europe/2020/05/21/swedens-reindeer-herding-sami-take-back-control?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, Fife Saint said:

There's a few commercial deer farms but you're right, for some reason there isn't great demand for venison which is crazy.

Bulk of venison sales by game dealers will be collected from estates and are wild deer.

Can’t say I’m a great lover of venison.  Having it occasionally is fine and it has to be served with the right accompaniments.

Some derivatives are OK but again nothing special.