2 minutes ago, swiftyswifty swifty said:

Hit a deer a few years back the night before I was due to trade the car in. 

I bought some deer whistles for the new motor. Can’t say for sure that they work but I haven’t hit a deer since. 

image.jpeg

Metal versions of these appeared on our trucks at work a few months back and I thought they were sensors. Guy at work told me last night they were kangaroo whistles and I thought he was at it. 

3 minutes ago, swiftyswifty swifty said:

I bought some deer whistles for the new motor. Can’t say for sure that they work but I haven’t hit a deer since. 

image.jpeg

homer simpson episode 23 GIF

I was in the passenger seat when my dad hit a deer about 15 years ago. Thankfully it didn’t roll up and smash into the windscreen and thankfully my dad didn’t swerve and have us smash into a tree. There was really no time to react anyway. It did crumple the front of a robust old Volvo, which rather than being repaired, suffered a similar fate to the deer. A pretty scary experience though.

I think the biggest problem here is they have no predators and their numbers will continue to increase unless there's a cull.

Rewilding thread for this pish [emoji57]

But yeah, what do people expect when a large animal with no predators pretty much gets free reign to roam about relatively unchecked?

1 hour ago, hearthammer said:

If the lucrative sideline continues at 1 per night, YSYM could set up on his days off as a doe to doe salesman.  With his regular supply chain, the carcasses will be fawn aff the back of his lorry.  Alternatively, he could advertise his illicit goods on Fallow Fallow as there's plenty of meatheids there who like deer meat on the cheap.  

Oh deer.  The obvious line to go for was him making a few bucks.  Never mind.

49 minutes ago, swiftyswifty swifty said:

image.jpeg

Why did you pixelate the VW symbol?

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Oh deer.  The obvious line to go for was him making a few bucks.  Never mind.

I was sika seeing roe after roe of bad deer puns, so i'm away to a virtual stag night tonight.  Promise i'll be as quiet as a moose.

9 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

So I've been working throughout the lockdown and as a delivery driver do a lot of miles at night. The amount of deer I'm seeing out and about just now is frightening. That's two deer I've hit in the space of two nights, 1st one in the works van and again tonight driving home from work in my car, with a lot of damage caused on both occasions. Obviously felt really bad for the deer but had no chance of avoiding them on either occasion. I'm guessing the headlights startle them and they just make a run for it onto the road. The lockdown is probably affecting how they normally behave as well

Anyone else hit one recently or had any unpleasant experiences with hitting deer in their past?

I think the biggest problem here is they have no predators and their numbers will continue to increase unless there's a cull.

Next time you rattle into one I'll have the saddle.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Pal who is a deer stalker in his free time says you can't just rock up and ask if you can shoot some deer, you need to pay the landowner (usually toffs) for the privilege of shooting the deer, you also need to pay them for any meat you want to have butchered, none of which is cheap. A lot of it just ends up buried in a hole in the ground like grouse and pheasant shoots do.

You can actually pay about a hundred quid to go on a cull with the forestry commission if you enjoy killing defenceless animals.

FTFY

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You call shooting deer killing for food killing defenseless animals but you eat days old calfs.

I have no problem with deer culling, both in terms of forestry preservation and in terms of food provision.  Nor do I have a problem with slaughtering others animal for food including calves.  I am an unapologetic carnivore.

I think such killing should be carried out as humanely as possible by professionals whose only objective is to kill the animals, and in the case of deer culling to manage the deer population.  I don’t think it should be turned into a ‘sport’ for those who take some perverse pleasure at killing something, and I can’t imagine why anyone would pay £100 for the ‘privilege’ unless that was their motivation.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

Was just pointing out it's one of the more affordable ways to get Scottish venison as it's actually quite hard to get hold of. A great deal of the stuff in shops is either not Scottish or farmed. Going out with an experienced shooter seems like quite a good idea to me.

Fair enough.  I just think there’s a difference between slaughtering animals for food and taking pleasure at killing them.