Jump to content
johnnydun

Closed Doors Live Streaming.

Closed Doors Live Streaming   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

It would be like pinching the oxygen hose on a dying man's ventilator then letting it go just before death a few times only to see your efforts in vain as he dies anyway. 

The best chance is to leave the guy in a coma and hope he can regain a full life in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone mentioned somewhere else watching the bundesliga on a decent stream was bad enough. Never mind watching Arbroath v ayr .without fans the games fucked tbh .and I think £5 is about as much as people would be willing too pay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If our games were anything like they were from January onwards, I don’t think £20 would be enough for them to pay me to get me to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

In addition, if streaming takes off, I'm not sure how any club can stop me having my mates round whilst I stream it onto the main living-room telly.

I think there might just be a substantial flaw in your logic here.

 

Anyway, I voted 'home and away'; '£5-£10' and 'It'll ruin clubs'.

That's because I recognise that P&B is not home to a representative sample of supporters.  The numbers willing to pay for streaming would be nowhere near sufficient to cover clubs' costs.

The crusade some are on to suggest otherwise is absolutely bonkers.  I wish they'd stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The crusade some are on to suggest otherwise is absolutely bonkers.  I wish they'd stop.

Why?

Because our opinions differ?

Because your club only has 3 signed players and it suits your club to close?

Because you're not willing to give something unknown a try that might save jobs?

Because I am overestimating?

Could be that you are underestimating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem would be the quality of product clubs are able to produce, one man in a stand with a video camera isn't going to attract paying customers or very few anyway.

They will also come against the likelihood of the 1430-1700 on a Saturday TV ban being ended, will people pay to watch a Championship or lower live stream when there will be numerous "bigger" games shown at the same time?

 

Edited by Samsonite
missed word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Why?

Because our opinions differ?

Because your club only has 3 signed players and it suits your club to close?

Because you're not willing to give something unknown a try that might save jobs?

Because I am overestimating?

Could be that you are underestimating.

Why?  Because I genuinely believe it's utter lunacy.

We've actually signed 4 players, but I suppose your point stands.  This isn't just a Queens perspective though.  I've no trouble admitting that clubs like Dundee are very much bigger than Queens.  Equally, I'm convinced that Dundee too, couldn't make this work.  Far too few would be willing to pay enough money, often enough.

Yes, we're both estimating, but I think you're guesses are wildly wrong.

This 'trying something' idea is silly and dangerous.  Jobs will be at greater threat if we attempt to play matches without significant income, than will be the case if we sit it out for as long as necessary.  That way, an employer should still be around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The commentary would be my concern. Anyone who has been traumatised by catching a clip on Falkirk TV will understand that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll kill clubs quicker than just letting them freeze, unless every club slashes their players wages and/or goes amateur.

Due to people not wanting to watch streams/families watching streams together/reduced income through sales of pies etc., I dont see how you make anything near what you make from having fans at the ground.

St Johnstone had to pay a figure in six figures to put in systems to host live streaming, and you also need WiFi/4G capable of hosting it without issue too. It's not just a case of one bloke with a camera sticking a wire into a laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the furlough scheme gets extended into next year, or a huge cash injection from the Scottish government, players will end up on the scrap heap and clubs will just go into hibernation.

You will then end up with the scenario of those clubs that can just about survive ticking over will do, and those that can’t will fold.

At least if games are put on, with some form of income from live streaming, it delays the death somewhat and, you never know, if done correctly, it might just save a few players from scrap heap and a few clubs from the grave.

The best model may be the ‘Netflix’ one. Keep the subscription small enough that every Scottish football supporter across the GLOBE can and will pay for it.

Then you can argue how the money is split between the clubs.

Are you telling me there aren’t enough Scottish football fans globally to support the product?

What is the real alternative, just roll over and die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:


At least if games are put on, with some form of income from live streaming, it delays the death somewhat and, you never know, if done correctly, it might just save a few players from scrap heap and a few clubs from the grave.

The best model may be the ‘Netflix’ one. Keep the subscription small enough that every Scottish football supporter across the GLOBE can and will pay for it.

Then you can argue how the money is split between the clubs.

Are you telling me there aren’t enough Scottish football fans globally to support the product?

What is the real alternative, just roll over and die?
 

If games are played clubs will lose money quicker than they would in abeyance.

In answer to your worldwide subscribers question, the answer is clearly no, there isn't enough interest to generate viable revenue that would mitigate losses. Broadcast rights are already sold abroad. Netflix works because of the high quality generating interest do you really see an untapped market for Alloa v Arbroath?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would only work if you as already had the equipment installed - I don't think there will be many teams in the Championship who would have the resources to do this.

 

It's a complete non-starter for most clubs.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Unless the furlough scheme gets extended into next year, or a huge cash injection from the Scottish government, players will end up on the scrap heap and clubs will just go into hibernation.

You will then end up with the scenario of those clubs that can just about survive ticking over will do, and those that can’t will fold.

At least if games are put on, with some form of income from live streaming, it delays the death somewhat and, you never know, if done correctly, it might just save a few players from scrap heap and a few clubs from the grave.

The best model may be the ‘Netflix’ one. Keep the subscription small enough that every Scottish football supporter across the GLOBE can and will pay for it.

Then you can argue how the money is split between the clubs.

Are you telling me there aren’t enough Scottish football fans globally to support the product?

What is the real alternative, just roll over and die?
 

If you're playing games than your outgoings, presumably, increase by at least 80% as you're back paying full wages.

If you're topping up furlough wages, then money in the bank suddenly lasts one week instead of five. How is that helping clubs survive longer?

A subscription model wouldn't work unless you stagger kick off times. I've got Saints TV to watch Saints games I cant get to, why would i then pay extra for SPFL TV when most games will be on at the same time as a Saints game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Unless the furlough scheme gets extended into next year, or a huge cash injection from the Scottish government, players will end up on the scrap heap and clubs will just go into hibernation.

You will then end up with the scenario of those clubs that can just about survive ticking over will do, and those that can’t will fold.

At least if games are put on, with some form of income from live streaming, it delays the death somewhat and, you never know, if done correctly, it might just save a few players from scrap heap and a few clubs from the grave.

The best model may be the ‘Netflix’ one. Keep the subscription small enough that every Scottish football supporter across the GLOBE can and will pay for it.

Then you can argue how the money is split between the clubs.

Are you telling me there aren’t enough Scottish football fans globally to support the product?

What is the real alternative, just roll over and die?
 

Playing games in empty stadiums would not only not delay clubs dying, it would accelerate it.

Unsure how folk are not getting that the finances aren't even close to being close to working.

Even if folk were buying streams of games in the same numbers as a club's usual matchday attendance, there would still be a very significant gap in revenue.

However, almost certainly the uptake for streamed games will be nowhere near even half of a club's regular attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going by numbers just now...

The average attendance last season was just over 3000 (3019).

Going by the above, if 75% (The reason I am sticking at 75% is that, as @Monkey Tennis suggests we may be a more dedicated breed on P&B, however to counter this, I would imagine the expat fans would watch) take up this stream at around £15 per game, that would be a home gate income of £33,750. 

All the posters against this always mention the weekly losses (pehs, programmes etc) but never mention not having to pay a massive outgoing of police and stewarding.

If £33,750 was the average gate receipts for all clubs this coming season, the only clubs that would experience a gate receipt loss are Dundee, Hearts and Dunfermline. The rest would possibly gain due to the larger away numbers willing to watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Going by numbers just now...

The average attendance last season was just over 3000 (3019).

Going by the above, if 75% (The reason I am sticking at 75% is that, as @Monkey Tennis suggests we may be a more dedicated breed on P&B, however to counter this, I would imagine the expat fans would watch) take up this stream at around £15 per game, that would be a home gate income of £33,750. 

All the posters against this always mention the weekly losses (pehs, programmes etc) but never mention not having to pay a massive outgoing of police and stewarding.

If £33,750 was the average gate receipts for all clubs this coming season, the only clubs that would experience a gate receipt loss are Dundee, Hearts and Dunfermline. The rest would possibly gain due to the larger away numbers willing to watch.

 

You're missing out hospitality and matchday sponsorship, which are very big earners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DA Baracus said:

You're missing out hospitality and matchday sponsorship, which are very big earners.

But you can still have the boards round the ground and advertising on the stream.

Hospitality could be allowed in small numbers by the time the season starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One person buys the stream, all the lads fire round to watch it.
 

Are a family of 4 who all go together going to buy 4 separate streams? Nope. 
 

It’s never going to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even see why it should cost less to watch the match via a stream.  The fact it isn't the same as being there doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with the price to view a live event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falkirk09Bairn said:

One person buys the stream, all the lads fire round to watch it.
 

Are a family of 4 who all go together going to buy 4 separate streams? Nope. 
 

It’s never going to work. 

I take my 2 boys to Dens, we would all watch it together, that would be a whopping £2 less ticket sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...