Closed Doors Live Streaming.

Closed Doors Live Streaming   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Does UK Gov have a say on that as well? For example if English FA wanted to get rid of it would they need permission or not?

No, it has nothing to do with the government. UEFA allow individual nations to pick a window within which they prevent broadcasts - the intention is to protect matchday attendances within that country.

59 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

No, it has nothing to do with the government. UEFA allow individual nations to pick a window within which they prevent broadcasts - the intention is to protect matchday attendances within that country.

I’m sure Ofcom have been involved in the process previously so don’t see how it can have zero Government influence. Never mind how naive it would be to suggest UK Gov don’t already have influence or pressure EPL when needed.

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I’m sure Ofcom have been involved in the process previously so don’t see how it can have zero Government influence. Never mind how naive it would be to suggest UK Gov don’t already have influence or pressure EPL when needed.

This has nothing to do with Ofcom - they involve themselves with the "crown jewels" sporting events, which the government require to be broadcast on domestic TV (eg the World Cup, European Championships). UEFA have a rule about broadcast blackout windows and each national association can decide whether they want to put forward a window.

I have no idea why you think the government would be even slightly bothered about whether football matches were broadcast at 3pm on a Saturday or not.

Great news.

Getting start dates for the league and getting players back into training is something I couldn’t have imagined a month ago.

Still skeptical as to how much of a normal match day income the streaming will cover but it sounds like everyone is fully behind it now.

8 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Raith Rovers are planning for similar, and have already had the camera equipment installed. 

"Despite rumours that some Championship clubs wouldn’t be able to afford to play, Raith chairman Bill Clark says the Stark’s Park side would be willing to do so.

“We can do it,” he said, “we have the Pixellot System installed already. The SPFL did that for us some weeks ago.

“It would not be a problem for us, the question is how do we get income from it?"

So he says you are willing to do it but not very convinced it can be afforded. Strange statement. 

"Despite rumours that some Championship clubs wouldn’t be able to afford to play, Raith chairman Bill Clark says the Stark’s Park side would be willing to do so.
“We can do it,” he said, “we have the Pixellot System installed already. The SPFL did that for us some weeks ago.
“It would not be a problem for us, the question is how do we get income from it?"
So he says you are willing to do it but not very convinced it can be afforded. Strange statement. 

Our chairman basically said the same a few weeks ago.

He’s all for getting back to it but is unsure how exactly each club would get by without further assistance from the Government.

I presume there would also need to be willingness to allow the games to be streamed in the UK, which currently rules don’t allow? Hence the ‘how do we get income from it’ statement. And perhaps a ban on clubs sending their own commentators for audio to away games?

I’m not at all convinced by streaming as a model unless we’re confident we can see out a season in full with it, if necessary. Trying to limp through to January would be futile if the government said no to crowds then too.

I’m relatively optimistic we’ll have crowds in some sort in October in any case. But if playing a season behind closed doors if necessary is going to kill some clubs off, we need to question if it’s worth it.

13 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I read as "We are going to give it a go if need be, but haven't fully figured how its going to work"

Its a step in some kind of positive direction, I guess. 

42 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I read as "We are going to give it a go if need be, but haven't fully figured how its going to work"

Its a step in some kind of positive direction, I guess. 

Agreed -I wasn't having a pop at him - more a pop at the Fife Today article and this line stood out

"Despite rumours that some Championship clubs wouldn’t be able to afford to play, Raith chairman Bill Clark says the Stark’s Park side would be willing to do so."

Doesn't make sense. Raith might well be willing & able but admit they're in the same boat financially - a point seemingly missed by the journalist.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I presume there would also need to be willingness to allow the games to be streamed in the UK, which currently rules don’t allow? Hence the ‘how do we get income from it’ statement. And perhaps a ban on clubs sending their own commentators for audio to away games?

I’m not at all convinced by streaming as a model unless we’re confident we can see out a season in full with it, if necessary. Trying to limp through to January would be futile if the government said no to crowds then too.

I’m relatively optimistic we’ll have crowds in some sort in October in any case. But if playing a season behind closed doors if necessary is going to kill some clubs off, we need to question if it’s worth it.

No, the income aspect is that it simply wouldn't make enough money to meet the costs of running a club, bearing in mind that other income sources will either not be available at all or most likely significantly reduced.

Even if every single season ticket holder for clubs at this level paid the equivalent of a ticket to watch every single stream, there would still be a significant hole in a club's finances.

Edited by DA Baracus

2 hours ago, Paco said:

I presume there would also need to be willingness to allow the games to be streamed in the UK, which currently rules don’t allow? 

As far as I've picked up from club statements, this rule wont exist until social distancing is removed and stadiums are at 100% access again.

Edited by RandomGuy.