Closed Doors Live Streaming.

Closed Doors Live Streaming   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 03/06/2020 at 17:11, Ludo*1 said:

Who is Ewan Murray and what influence does he have.

SPFL have installed systems in championship clubs I assume for use on their web site in providing highlights and will make this facility available to the home club.

Can't see Sky contract having any Championship clauses that would be an unfair and restrictive business practice.

Dave MacKinnon states they have a few things to iron out and hope to progress at a Championship club meeting on Friday.

States season tickets holders and pay as you go facilitated on new club web site, so will be sorting out if clubs show their away games or allow away supporters to purchase as PAYG fans.

Would also like us to miss playing only at 3.00 on Saturday as I think Friday night is a great slot. 

Anyway sounds like the new financial monies will help support this initiative and reduce hospitality losses, advertising may increase.

Prize money must be up 20% this year so being not less than championship level is a game changer.

Edited by Paisley Ton

It's a good idea for SPFL clubs to have a streaming service for matches even if crowds return in a limited capacity. There will still be plenty of fans who will remain in a risk group or for similar reasons don't want to be part of it. It makes sense to have this alternative in place for those fans and as a backup plan in case we face a shorter lockdown situation again during the winter. If the technology and will is there to make that happen then all they need to get right now is the costing.

I don't think it's a good idea to start this league on a streaming only basis though. Unlike the top flight that has a TV deal and UEFA competitions to fulfil, I've yet to see any good argument as to why clubs at this level must return before at least a significant amount of their paying customers are allowed to attend games as well. An October start behind closed doors, for a league that McKinnon suggests might only have a minimum of 18 games anyway makes little sense to me. You'd be as well canning it until February 2021 and trying to run the fixtures into early June instead with as near as normal crowd levels.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If league competitions start before crowds can be admitted, I genuinely hope my club opts to sit it out, even if it results effectively in a relegation when crowds (and we) return. 

Some things aren't worth the risk.

Why?

37 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

SPFL have installed systems in championship clubs I assume for use on their web site in providing highlights and will make this facility available to the home club.

Prize money must be up 20% this year so being not less than championship level is a game changer.

The SPFL were planning to do so over the summer this year. They havent actually done it yet as circumstances overtook it. Unless they started and dealt with some clubs? Certainly havent yet installed anything at Palmerston.

Prize money was expected to be up due to the increased value of the tv contract but we dont have a league sponsor so that offsets a bit. 

1 hour ago, Paisley Ton said:

Who is Ewan Murray and what influence does he have.

Can't see Sky contract having any Championship clauses that would be an unfair and restrictive business practice.

Dave MacKinnon states they have a few things to iron out and hope to progress at a Championship club meeting on Friday.

States season tickets holders and pay as you go facilitated on new club web site, so will be sorting out if clubs show their away games or allow away supporters to purchase as PAYG fans.

Would also like us to miss playing only at 3.00 on Saturday as I think Friday night is a great slot. 

Anyway sounds like the new financial monies will help support this initiative and reduce hospitality losses, advertising may increase.

Do you mean the money from the Hearts guy? If so, if it happens, it will not get close to reducing hospitality losses.

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The SPFL were planning to do so over the summer this year. They havent actually done it yet as circumstances overtook it. Unless they started and dealt with some clubs? Certainly havent yet installed anything at Palmerston.

Prize money was expected to be up due to the increased value of the tv contract but we dont have a league sponsor so that offsets a bit. 

Are these the cameras that give you the goals for the online spfl weekly round up, I always thought they were owned by the clubs , could this be the game changer.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This article suggests Rovers had it installed a few weeks back so they must be working their way round the clubs. 

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-ready-play-behind-closed-doors-2873805

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

This article suggests Rovers had it installed a few weeks back so they must be working their way round the clubs. 

https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers-ready-play-behind-closed-doors-2873805

Fair enough. As you say must be part way through it. Definitely haven't installed it at Palmerston yet. Presumably if there's a chance the Championship will restart behind closed doors then the priority will be installing it at those Championship clubs who don't yet have it.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

It's a good idea for SPFL clubs to have a streaming service for matches even if crowds return in a limited capacity. There will still be plenty of fans who will remain in a risk group or for similar reasons don't want to be part of it. It makes sense to have this alternative in place for those fans and as a backup plan in case we face a shorter lockdown situation again during the winter. If the technology and will is there to make that happen then all they need to get right is the costing.

I don't think it's a good idea to start this league on a streaming only basis though. Unlike the top flight that has a TV deal and UEFA competitions to fulfil, I've yet to see any good argument as to why clubs at this level must return before at least a significant amount of their paying customers are allowed to attend games as well. An October start behind closed doors, for a league that McKinnon suggests might only have a minimum of 18 games anyway makes little sense to me. You'd be as well canning it until February 2021 and trying to run the fixtures into early June instead with as near as normal crowd levels.

I think you are lucky to have Dave MacKinnon as a chief exec - even if you can't spell his surname :)

Not sure where you got the idea of 18 games from.  In this interview he refers to a 'full programme' in the Championship with a suggestion that there will be a lot more games in 2021 when we can hopefully have crowds which are not restricted, or with more manageable restrictions.  That seems sensible to me.  2 metre social distancing and no corporate doesn't sound worth the effort for anyone in the Championship compared to playing BCD.    

I get the impression that most Championship clubs will take the gamble that we can reach something near normality in early 2021 as the least bad option.  It looks likely that a tentative start date will be proposed, and clubs then have to decide if we are in or out.   'In' carries a lot of risk.  However, 'out' is not particularly attractive.  For example -

Queens - very few players left.  We should survive if we go into hibernation, though that means we won't see the Dobster play again :(.  We also run the risk of being relegated by default, as there can be little doubt that Partick and Falkirk are waiting in the wings.

Dunfermline - likely to have bigger fixed costs, and enough players and other staff for them to run out of money very quickly.   I'm pretty sure they will get by as their fans will do their best to keep them afloat.  However, they run the same risk of being relegated by default.  A bit of a dull one if you are a Pars fan and Falkirk benefit.

34 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Not sure where you got the idea of 18 games from.  In this interview he refers to a 'full programme' in the Championship with a suggestion that there will be a lot more games in 2021 when we can hopefully have crowds which are not restricted, or with more manageable restrictions. 

As far as I know the prospect of a full 36 game Championship isnt even on the table. I may be wrong and maybe the goalposts have moved since the potential Anderson donation appeared but I thought discussions were about whether a 27 or 18 game season was feasible.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

It's a good idea for SPFL clubs to have a streaming service for matches even if crowds return in a limited capacity. There will still be plenty of fans who will remain in a risk group or for similar reasons don't want to be part of it. It makes sense to have this alternative in place for those fans and as a backup plan in case we face a shorter lockdown situation again during the winter. If the technology and will is there to make that happen then all they need to get right now is the costing.

If you're running them into early June that would involve scrapping the Premiership play-offs, because it will almost certainly have to be finished by the end of May if UEFA return to their normal rules, and you'd expect they would with the Euros looming.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As far as I know the prospect of a full 36 game Championship isnt even on the table. I may be wrong and maybe the goalposts have moved since the potential Anderson donation appeared but I thought discussions were about whether a 27 or 18 game season was feasible.

I don't have any inside info so you may be right. 

Surely the Challenge Cup is a write off for 20/21.  The Betfred Cup is probably OK, on the basis that the sponsor and Premier Sports don't care about the diddy teams so a quick knock-out tournament might do.   

A start in October leaves plenty time for a 36 game season in the Championship IMHO.  Subject of course to the major risk of a second spike, but we might as well give up if that risk dictates our thinking.   

8 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

I think you are lucky to have Dave MacKinnon as a chief exec - even if you can't spell his surname :)

Not sure where you got the idea of 18 games from.  In this interview he refers to a 'full programme' in the Championship with a suggestion that there will be a lot more games in 2021 when we can hopefully have crowds which are not restricted, or with more manageable restrictions.  That seems sensible to me.  2 metre social distancing and no corporate doesn't sound worth the effort for anyone in the Championship compared to playing BCD.    

I'm not going through a 20 minute interview with that Gerry clown right now but here's what he said as recorded by the local newspaper yesterday:

'We're looking to get as full a programme as possible because we want to get football back to normal as quickly as we can.

We're looking at getting a minimum of 18 games played, so we can play home and away. 

Maybe in future we'll be playing more midweek games than we normally do until crowds are allowed back in.'

That's no commitment to playing a 36 game season and if only 18 games can be played then clubs are baking in a double, major financial hit by playing some of them behind closed doors.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If you're running them into early June that would involve scrapping the Premiership play-offs, because it will almost certainly have to be finished by the end of May if UEFA return to their normal rules, and you'd expect they would with the Euros looming.

The Spanish promotion playoffs to the second tier don't even begin until June every year and I'm pretty sure that Italy's setup is similar. So all you need is an exemption to the rule for one diddy Scottish Premiership outfit that will have zero internationals playing for it, which would be supported by the exceptional changes forced on the calendar by the pandemic. 

I'd be surprised if the Euros aren't knocked into late summer anyway given the backlog of fixtures remaining simply to wrap up this season. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I'm not going through a 20 minute interview with that Gerry clown right now but here's what he said as recorded by the local newspaper yesterday:

'We're looking to get as full a programme as possible because we want to get football back to normal as quickly as we can.

We're looking at getting a minimum of 18 games played, so we can play home and away. 

Maybe in future we'll be playing more midweek games than we normally do until crowds are allowed back in.'

That's no commitment to playing a 36 game season and if only 18 games can be played then clubs are baking in a double, major financial hit by playing some of them behind closed doors.

His comments in the video are:

"We're looking to get a full programme in which is going to mean some midweek games. What we're looking to do is backend it, so when fans are eventually coming into stadiums we've got a lot of games at the back end so fans can actually come in and see it."

So while he's not saying it's definite, the Championship clubs are currently looking at a 36 game season starting in October, with as many of the midweek games as possible taking place after fans are able to attend.

Except that his comments to the Greenock Telegraph contradict your claim that their envisaged 'full programme' consists of 36 league games. Throw in the question of scheduling the Betfred and Scottish Cups and they might consider 18 or at most 27 league games to be a 'full programme' instead.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The Spanish promotion playoffs to the second tier don't even begin until June every year and I'm pretty sure that Italy's setup is similar. So all you need is an exemption to the rule for one diddy Scottish Premiership outfit that will have zero internationals playing for it, which would be supported by the exceptional changes forced on the calendar by the pandemic. 

I'd be surprised if the Euros aren't knocked into late summer anyway given the backlog of fixtures remaining simply to wrap up this season. 

It's possible certainly, but when we were in the play-offs before Euro 2016 two of our players were going to play in the tournament for something called "Northern Ireland".

If it's a risk that Real Mallorca and Deportivo la Coruna are obliged to accept then it's more than good enough for Hamilton and Inverness Caley Thistle.

Edited by vikingTON