What will live music look like in the future?

Miguel Sanchez

I've been going back and forth on this one for the past few months. This is the only sort of enclosed mass gathering I ever partake in, and it's pretty much impossible to do with any form of social distancing that we've seen since the virus came about. 

Will gigs go back to the way they were before March?

Will any venues of any size still be there to host any?

Will bands and artists be able to make enough money from touring to continue producing music?

Will ticketing agents like Ticketmaster still exist after massively decreased revenues for so long, and will something worse pop up in its place?

Will physical tickets still be a thing?

Will you still go to gigs if you think there's a chance of contracting the virus, or unknowingly passing it on to other people?

Discuss. 

1, Yes. Only for a while though as I can see the gigs of the future being more like a visit to the cinema.

2, Yes

3, Yes

4 Yes. Sadly 

5, No. They will be on your phone to help eradicate touts.

6, Yes. I love gigs. You can't live your life afraid something is gonnae kill you all the time. 

Most bands were already struggling to make money from gigs and recordings before the lockdown - it's hard to know - maybe there will be some sort of rebirth/renaissance,  but it's more likely that things will be worse than they already were.

A lot of my mates are musicians or are involved in running venues, rehearsal/recording studios, etc, and they're really struggling economically - Summerhall and Castle Sound studios, to name but a couple, are in serious bother at the moment, sadly. 

I had a Zoom meeting recently with one of the ropey bands I'm in - we reckon it'll could be March/April before we might be gigging? Bands at higher levels could be gigging before that, but gigs will likely have to be managed carefully.

Long term, gigs will likely be as they were, imo - I think most things probably will., tbh. 

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Long term, gigs will likely be as they were, imo - I think most things probably will., tbh. 

Agree with you there.  It's rough on everyone who owns or runs smaller venues, labels, studios and many will surely fold or change hands.

The bigger venues might change hands too but unlike club sized places I think they're less likely to be repurposed. Their big chain owners are horrible soulless ghouls and who cares if they go bust. 

As probably really obvious with tv right now the way music is made is more limited for the time being and while it might take longer to be visible there will be a gap in ensemble or big studio productions getting released. On the plus side there will be increased demand for those by the time they're possible again. Including but not limited to four dudes in a professional studio type affairs.

Studio owners who can do mixing and mastering at home could be just about coping depending on their overheads.

Edited by L. Brilliant