Scotland's League One and Two could be off until JANUARY

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

On the TV deal, is £30m a lot more than what we had previously? If so, has the prize money for each position risen?

Yes, the current TV deal is something like £18m. The Ladbrokes deal being up means the league will be down about £2.5-3m a year from that (assuming that Sky take on the sponsorship to cover what they're owed from this season), but that should hopefully be dwarfed by the big increase in TV money. The percentage distributions of prize money are unchanged (subject to any changes due to reconstruction), so clubs can expect to see a decent chunk more prize money.

1 hour ago, stuartcraig said:

I'm alright jack.

The Premiership clubs will almost certainly run at a loss if they're playing behind closed doors, but they can handle doing it for a few months at the start of the season to preserve a TV deal which is worth a lot of money to the SPFL over the next 5 years. The same argument doesn't apply to the lower leagues, where clubs would be running at a loss to play behind closed doors without any real benefit.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, the current TV deal is something like £18m. The Ladbrokes deal being up means the league will be down about £2.5-3m a year from that (assuming that Sky take on the sponsorship to cover what they're owed from this season), but that should hopefully be dwarfed by the big increase in TV money. The percentage distributions of prize money are unchanged (subject to any changes due to reconstruction), so clubs can expect to see a decent chunk more prize money.

That sounds really quite good tbh. Even counting for a loss of £3m income there should still be a lot more than we're used to working with. Makes total sense to preserve that then. I can see some problems arising with the leagues being out of step in regards starting and finishing, but hopefully they won't be too hard to work around.

Is it not sensible to delay the start of the season until January to give clubs an opportunity to plan towards that?

Otherwise, clubs will be under pressure to sign players on contacts for games that may never happen.

It would be better to leave it until the January when there's likely to be a little more clarity about the future prospects.

This has been obvious for weeks now, anyone who thinks we're going to have football with normal attendance from August to May has been deluding themselves.
Without reading the article - it was mentioned a few weeks ago that there was a plan to play 2 games a week from February to June in the lower leagues to ensure there actually is a 20-21 season.
The problem with playing 2 games per week from January till June is that any bad weather will then probably postpone 2 games instead of 1. It could potentially cause a massive back log of games.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The Premiership clubs will almost certainly run at a loss if they're playing behind closed doors, but they can handle doing it for a few months at the start of the season to preserve a TV deal which is worth a lot of money to the SPFL over the next 5 years. The same argument doesn't apply to the lower leagues, where clubs would be running at a loss to play behind closed doors without any real benefit.

The clubs in the lower leagues will still have running costs and wages to pay until January.  Will the SPFL redistribute the SPL and Championship share of the TV money to League One and Two clubs to make up for the absence of any other cashflow for the remainder of the year?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

On the TV deal, is £30m a lot more than what we had previously? If so, has the prize money for each position risen?

If L1/2 don't play there won't be any positional awards. If the divisions go into substance I would expect a proportion of the money to be distributed to non-playing members.

I'm curious to see who or where the line materialises between clubs who think it's viable to play behind closed doors and stream games. It won't follow divisional places ie Alloa and/or Arbroath might struggle, while Thistle and Falkirk might make a go of it.

32 minutes ago, super-son said:
4 hours ago, Junior Pub League said:
This has been obvious for weeks now, anyone who thinks we're going to have football with normal attendance from August to May has been deluding themselves.
Without reading the article - it was mentioned a few weeks ago that there was a plan to play 2 games a week from February to June in the lower leagues to ensure there actually is a 20-21 season.

The problem with playing 2 games per week from January till June is that any bad weather will then probably postpone 2 games instead of 1. It could potentially cause a massive back log of games.

One of many proposals being looked at in terms of actually having a 20-21 season.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

If L1/2 don't play there won't be any positional awards. If the divisions go into substance I would expect a proportion of the money to be distributed to non-playing members.

I'm curious to see who or where the line materialises between clubs who think it's viable to play behind closed doors and stream games. It won't follow divisional places ie Alloa and/or Arbroath might struggle, while Thistle and Falkirk might make a go of it.

I would hope the percentage of monies that normally go to the lower leagues would still go to the lower leagues even if there were no games played, the difficulty would be in deciding who gets what with no positions. Probably be X amount for teams in second tier, slightly lower payment for teams in third tier etc.

I really don't think streaming games is viable for the second tier and below and I'd hate to see some clubs do it and others be left out.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I would hope the percentage of monies that normally go to the lower leagues would still go to the lower leagues even if there were no games played, the difficulty would be in deciding who gets what with no positions. Probably be X amount for teams in second tier, slightly lower payment for teams in third tier etc.

I really don't think streaming games is viable for the second tier and below and I'd hate to see some clubs do it and others be left out.

I can't see it happening either, but there's some on here do and who knows what measures some clubs will go to scramble back up a division.

4 hours ago, Samsonite said:

Totally agree with the comments regarding the media & SPFL complete disregard of the lower leagues but unfortunately in reality the article is stating facts, lower league teams in Scotland and im including the majority of Championship teams cannot afford to pay 1. players & 2. the necessary testing  that are likely to become a legal requirement without the revenue of gate receipts, food & drink etc.

The only option to re-start earlier is if clubs are allowed to let fans into the grounds while complying with social distancing regulations which I believe can be done but if they will be allowed to do that or not is a different matter.

Where do people get the notion that any club in the Championship could come close to affording to run things with empty stadium games?

Social distancing can be done in stadiums, but the crowds would be so small that it's almost not worth bothering about. Some people seem to think that you simply divide the ground capacity by 2 to get how many folk you'd be allowed in. 

There might be a maximum. Say it is 500. You'll struggle to get that in to most grounds with social distancing. Then there's the cost of enforcing it, and the potential consequences of not enforcing it.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

Don't know why so many think something magical will happen to this virus when Big Ben chimes at midnight on 31st December.

The virus could well peter out a few months before that. Equally it might still be going strong long after that.

Surely a simple review every 3 weeks (in line with government) would be far more sense. Imagine sitting in, say, September with no football but unable to play til January cause back in May that's what was decided.

Absolutely no one thinks that.

Clubs need time to sign players. 3 weeks is not enough to do that. Budgets need to be decided, and can only be done when clubs know what is happening. Clubs also need time to get players up to fitness, and 3 week windows do not allow that at all. 

It's just a suggestion from a nonsense newspaper anyway. Regular reviews sound fine but there need to be 3 or 4 suggested start dates that go along with that, not just the leagues saying "RIght, you've got 3 weeks to sign a squad and get them up to standard".

24 minutes ago, stuartcraig said:

The clubs in the lower leagues will still have running costs and wages to pay until January.  Will the SPFL redistribute the SPL and Championship share of the TV money to League One and Two clubs to make up for the absence of any other cashflow for the remainder of the year?

The SPL does not exist and has not done so for years. You even name the organisation it was folded in to.

As for your question, I sincerely doubt it. But why do you think Championship clubs will be playing on League 1 and 2 clubs won't? Championship clubs are in the same position as League 1 and 2 clubs. Empty stadium games are not even close to being viable for any Championship club.

2 hours ago, stuartcraig said:

Still waiting to hear what the trickle down to the lower leagues is.  You'll have to forgive me if I don't expect the teams in the Premiership or Championship to demonstrate any more of a "sense of unity" than they have in previous seasons.

The prize money is the trickle down.

For the record I entirely agree that if we had the situation where the top two divisions were playing while L1 & L2 weren't there would need to be some form of additional support given to the clubs who have no means of income while they aren't allowed to play, but there's no logic in saying that the Premiership carrying on while other leagues don't amounts to Premiership clubs somehow throwing smaller clubs under the bus.

If the TV deal collapses and that income is lost it puts every club in a far worse position - protecting the TV deal is protecting League 1 and League 2 clubs.

Guest DAVIDB69

This is exactly why the rush to stop the leagues achieved little , it was only kicking the can down the road to the next problem

46 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The SPL does not exist and has not done so for years. You even name the organisation it was folded in to.

As for your question, I sincerely doubt it. But why do you think Championship clubs will be playing on League 1 and 2 clubs won't? Championship clubs are in the same position as League 1 and 2 clubs. Empty stadium games are not even close to being viable for any Championship club.

I got the name wrong but I assume that you understand who I meant.

As for your other question, I thought that was the rumoured proposition but happy to be corrected.  It doesn't change the basis for my question on whether there will be a more generous distribution of TV money to lower league clubs (whether the bottom 2 or 3).