Scotland's League One and Two could be off until JANUARY

21 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Budge said at the weekend on the radio this reconstruction is not about saving Hearts , it's about the survival of Scottish clubs.

Now it has been "clarified" , according to the BBC , that she means a 14 team top league and the rest can really please themselves (she doesn't really care).

It has since been clarified that Budge's focus is on a 14-team top tier, with the lower league clubs agreeing on whatever configuration suits them.

And Doncaster now saying to Premiership clubs what will it take to get a 14 team top league.  

It's gonna happen but just tell the truth , we'd have much more respect.

I do think it stands a fair chance if it’s a 14-10-10-10 for 5 years.

League Two would have Cove and Edinburgh as yes because they move up, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and QP yes because they figure to compete better next year with Stranraer not in League, and the rest might figure they can beat Kelty or Brora. It might depend if relegation would be automatic. if Stranraer is placed here vs Cove, the yes remains.

League One votes yes because with Raith, Falkirk and Partick out of the picture, Airdrie, East Fife, Montrose and Dumbarton will all fancy their chances, as will Clyde. Stranraer, Forfar and Peterhead will all feel they can beat either Cove or Edinburgh. Partick would also vote yes in place of Raith.

Championship is somewhat up in the air, but not having Hearts big money in the division is an incentive to vote yes, even if their crowds would be missed. Both Falkirk and Raith will bring bigger crowds than ICT, and with the next change five years out, teams are likely to vote yes. Partick or Raith voting matters not.

The Premiership vote will depend on what arms can be twisted how.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

League Two would have Cove and Edinburgh as yes because they move up, Elgin, Cowdenbeath and QP yes because they figure to compete better next year with Stranraer not in League, and the rest might figure they can beat Kelty or Brora. It might depend if relegation would be automatic. if Stranraer is placed here vs Cove, the yes remains.

League One votes yes because with Raith, Falkirk and Partick out of the picture, Airdrie, East Fife, Montrose and Dumbarton will all fancy their chances, as will Clyde. Stranraer, Forfar and Peterhead will all feel they can beat either Cove or Edinburgh. Partick would also vote yes in place of Raith.

Championship is somewhat up in the air, but not having Hearts big money in the division is an incentive to vote yes, even if their crowds would be missed. Both Falkirk and Raith will bring bigger crowds than ICT, and with the next change five years out, teams are likely to vote yes. Partick or Raith voting matters not.

Having Hearts missing would be massive for most championship clubs, Dunfermline would be the least effected and even then we'd still be far worse off. Likewise I'm sure League one clubs would like the away gates off Falkirk and Partick. 

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I take your points and reluctantly agree.

However I have always thought a 10 team league is just a horrendous boring product.

But as I have said (and they've indirectly said) Budge & the Premiership don't care about the lower leagues. 

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

I take your points and reluctantly agree.

However I have always thought a 10 team league is just a horrendous boring product.

But as I have said (and they've indirectly said) Budge & the Premiership don't care about the lower leagues. 

Absolutely agree on 10 team leagues as moribund. Ideally we would switch to something closer to a 14 team Premiership and a 20 team Championship...but that leaves 8 teams out in the cold (may be irrelevant after this fiasco ends) and puts even Celtic two (insanely) bad seasons away from non-SPFL play.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Absolutely agree on 10 team leagues as moribund. Ideally we would switch to something closer to a 14 team Premiership and a 20 team Championship...but that leaves 8 teams out in the cold (may be irrelevant after this fiasco ends) and puts even Celtic two (insanely) bad seasons away from non-SPFL play.

I don't get the hate for the ten team leagues at all, find them quite exciting. 

A 20 team Championship would be horrible. 

13 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Different strokes for different folks. How about a 8+8 Championship with two divisions in the League. Play 28 games vs division (4 each) and 8 versus the other division. Then the two #1’s play for the automatic promotion spot, the loser entering the playoff. Playoffs are two games 2A vs 3B, 2B vs 3A, then the winners face the losing #1 and the second bottom Premiership side in another two game, then the winners play one game at a neutral venue for the final spot in the Premiership.

Relegation would be 8A vs 8B, two game, then the winner enters a conventional playoff versus 2-4 from below while the loser is relegated.

Edited by TxRover

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Different strokes for different folks. How about a 8+8 Championship with two divisions in the League. Play 28 games vs division (4 each) and 8 versus the other division. Then the two #1’s play for the automatic promotion spot, the loser entering the playoff. Playoffs are two games 2A vs 3B, 2B vs 3A, then the winners face the losing #1 and the second bottom Premiership side in another two game, then the winners play one game at a neutral venue for the final spot in the Premiership.

Relegation would be 8A vs 8B, two game, then the winner enters a conventional playoff versus 2-4 from below while the loser is relegated.

Fuxxake Texas Tom, you've been in America waaaaaay too long!

What next, having a defensive 11 and an attacking 11?

Whata loada shite!

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

If there are going to be no crowds at matches next season nobody in the Championship will gain anything from Hearts being there.

Cant see it being behind closed doors for a whole season though. Just not affordable for champ clubs. Will be half and half at least.

Sums up scottish football though if clubs are more bothered about away crowds than their chances of getting promotion to the top flight.

8 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Budge said at the weekend on the radio this reconstruction is not about saving Hearts , it's about the survival of Scottish clubs.

Now it has been "clarified" , according to the BBC , that she means a 14 team top league and the rest can really please themselves (she doesn't really care).

It has since been clarified that Budge's focus is on a 14-team top tier, with the lower league clubs agreeing on whatever configuration suits them.

And Doncaster now saying to Premiership clubs what will it take to get a 14 team top league.  

It's gonna happen but just tell the truth , we'd have much more respect.

It wont happen.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

The authorities here try to mimic English football, so why not a 20 team Championship?

The English Championship has 24 teams in it.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

The authorities here try to mimic English football, so why not a 20 team Championship?

The English Championship has 24 teams in it.

I think the current league system is about right for the level of the teams we have if that makes sense? And while relegation isn't fun, getting promoted is. 

I think during my whole time supporting Dunfermline, Raith Rovers have either been in the 2nd or 3rd tier, as far as I remember you've never been very close to relegation to the fourth and have challenged for promotion to the top tier once, now if we had a 20 team Championship that would entail that for 21 years Raith would've been in the same table, no title glorys around big Marv believing or any of that, how shite does that sound? 

Ann Budge: "It's not about Hearts, it's about saving Scottish football"

Also Ann Budge: "The lower league teams can suit themselves as long as I get what I want"

Can we just put this auld bag in the sea and move on please? Sick of hearing from the c**t.

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Ann Budge: "It's not about Hearts, it's about saving Scottish football"

Also Ann Budge: "The lower league teams can suit themselves as long as I get what I want"

Can we just put this auld bag in the sea and move on please? Sick of hearing from the c**t.

Or could the sports media stop treating every word that comes out of her mouth with awed respect when so much of what she has said in the past is clearly self-interested, disingenuous bullshit.

Obviously the above extends to every other chairman, administrator, manager and PR Goebbels who has been guilty of the same in the past.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

I think the current league system is about right for the level of the teams we have if that makes sense? And while relegation isn't fun, getting promoted is. 

I think during my whole time supporting Dunfermline, Raith Rovers have either been in the 2nd or 3rd tier, as far as I remember you've never been very close to relegation to the fourth and have challenged for promotion to the top tier once, now if we had a 20 team Championship that would entail that for 21 years Raith would've been in the same table, no title glorys around big Marv believing or any of that, how shite does that sound? 

I suppose it doesn’t sound that great when I think about it, but then again neither is watching Rovers in League 1.

My favourite time watching Rovers was back in the ‘90s when we were floating between the First Division and Premier League and doing well in the cups.

I don’t particularly like playing other teams 4 times a season. I can’t remember why but I recall only playing teams 3 times a season back in the ‘90s.

Ah, the ‘90s! Everything was so much better then. Pars were the wee team. Rovers were in the Premier League and Europe. Great days.

8 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Yeah, I've always been in favour of leagues in which you play each team fewer times, but have come round to the smaller leagues.

Of the 42 teams, you have 24 qualifying for Europe, getting promoted or relegated or entering a playoff. So you can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority will have something to play for in the closing weeks.

I'd say that's a decent trade for the greater variety of fixtures afforded by bigger leagues, which would include many more meaningless mid-table end of season slogs.

One change I would like to see is opening up relegation from the bottom tier. League Two clubs fear this, but if you make promotion back into the league easier, then relegation needn't hold the same fear it does now. You could also have teams go down and then come back into the league revitalised as has happened with the likes of Luton and Oxford in England.

My choice would be bottom team relegated. Highland League Champions play Lowland League Champions with winners promoted.

Highland League 2nd plays Lowland League 3rd and vice versa. Winners of those games join Champion vs Champion match loser and second bottom in League Two in a four-team playoff for final league place.

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Cant see it being behind closed doors for a whole season though. Just not affordable for champ clubs. Will be half and half at least.

Sums up scottish football though if clubs are more bothered about away crowds than their chances of getting promotion to the top flight.

We could be back in full lockdown by Jan - you cannot say anything with certainty right now.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No but you've got to go with the current guidelines and plan or you'd be a well giving up. 

But you can't say 'will be half and half at least'.

It might be. It might not. I won't win the lottery next weekend so I won't go and put a deposit down on an Aston either. Clubs have to go with a realistic outlook rather than wishful thinking.

The question should be: can we as a club afford to go through 20-21 with no supporters? Yes/No.

If yes, play.

If no, don't.

Edited by cmontheloknow