Your team's signings - ranked

Dean Lyness - N/A - Signed as backup to Hladky and hasn't played a minute this season. Harsh not to rate him as he was already with us last season and did the business in half a dozen or so games before leaving and resigning but having to treat him as a new player.

Tony Andreu - 4/10 - Disappointing. Guy was one of the many hammers of us for a long time, so was pretty excited to get him in, even if he's aging and a bit injury prone (which he's actually not been with us). His touch and technique are absolutely ridiculously good at times but many times he'd get into position 12-15 yards out, cut back comes to him and he blazed it. Really frustrating as I expected more.

Oan Djorkaeff - 1/10 - Arrived, sat on bench after league cup games. Then didn't even do that. Then presumably leaves. Gets a point as his old man showed up at the ground with a Saints top on.

Ilkay Durmus - 8/10 - Not always the most consistent at first as he tried to find his feet but in the story of our season, he provided more decisive goals than anyone else in the squad, including Obika. Always dangerous on the ball, loves to drift inside and hit a dig and a lot of time find himself in the right place at right time in the box.

Sam Foley - 10/10 - 'St. Mirren sign 32 year old league one winger Sam Foley on a 2 year contract'. At first those words had me going 'FFS, this is our level of signing?' but once it became obvious his legs were long gone in terms of pace for wing play and he'd been signed as a holding mid, I was a bit more relaxed. This guy covers every blade of grass and then some. He's some athlete, good in the tackle, can pick a very good pass and even plays well as centre half (which he's never done previously). Only one minor critique of him is that he needs to be a bit more greedy and hit shots when in a decent area to do so.

Jon Obika - 9/10 - Always been a fan of the big guy despite a slowish start. He had a fucking torrid time of it from some sections of our support. 'Cody Cooke is better', 'Danny Mullen works harder and is a better footballer'. Neither were approaching true. I mentioned early on in his stint that he reminds me of Billy Mehmet. Good at holding play up and bringing others into the match which for the first half of the season, was Obika's best quality, yet folk still gave him stick. It wasn't until January and the arrival of Jakubiak (who could do that dropping-deep work with back to goal, freeing up Obika) that we truly saw what big Jon brought to the table. They formed a very good partnership together. Very good player with the ball at his feet, deceptively not so great in the air for a towering man of his size...he'd rather take a step back and volley a shot than attack it with his head. Oh and then the goal that will go down in folklore for St. Mirren fans.

Calum Waters - 4/10 - I've been told at games an online that I'm unfairly harsh on Calum. Admittedly, he was coming into a game a bit since January but I just feel he gets caught over the top far too often, lets wingers get into the box before making a challenge and even then, isn't great in the tackle. For someone who is a purely defensive full back with very little attacking threat, that's worrying. Also his dead balls and crossing are really, really weak.

Sean McLoughlin - 8.5/10 - Superb player who will go on to make a good career for himself in the Premier league in England without issue. Hull sent him up here to adjust to playing against full time sides (coming straight from League of Ireland) apparently with a view to then sending him back out to another English side but he did so well here that Hull actually realised he was already English Championship level, so he ended up in their first team as a regular up until the shutdown. Very confident and composed on the ball. Would have loved to have kept him for the rest of the season.

Junior Morias - 4/10 - Came in with a decent goals to minutes ratio for Northampton. So looked like he'd maybe do some damage. Has shown decent ability in spells but nowhere near consistent enough. Does not look like a footballer, more that he should be squatting atlas stones onto plinths on a beach in California or something.

Kyle McAllister - 2/10 - Huge disappointment. Came in on a 3 year contract to a lot of fanfare and excitement and although we are well aware of his injury issues, fans felt we'd be in good shape to manage this properly. On his day, he's a game changer as we saw last season when he was on loan. Looked timid, afraid to commit, uninterested. As pure a representation of an empty shirt as you'll see. Needs to really up it or he'll not see the 3 years out. A real shame as he is exceptionally talented.

Kirk Broadfoot - 🐍/10 - f**k this c**t.

Conor McCarthy - 8/10 - A lot of worries when we lost McLoughlin in January but we snapped Conor up pretty quickly from Cork City (he was always on the cards regardless of McLoughlin staying or going). Old school as f**k. Black boots, shirt tucked in, shorts up high. A total bread and butter defender. Love the guy already and genuinely believe he'll go on to bigger things than ourselves. He's taken to Scottish football like a duck to water.

Jamie McGrath - 5/10 - One that we got really excited about as his arrival tipped Dundalk fans over the edge. They instantly proclaimed that they were one of the biggest 5 clubs in Europe or something and that McGrath going to St. Mirren makes a mockery of his godly abilities. Christ, he must be good to wind a support up that much! But so far? Meh, he's been decent enough but not a game changer - maybe he's just adjusting to the rigours of our game and a pre-season will do him some good. 

Akin Famewo - 7/10 - McLoughlin's replacement. Came in from Norwich as their U23 captain and looked the part. Reading of the game is strong for the most part and he is a big unit of a lad. Was growing in confidence and ability every week and would be nice if Norwich threw him our way for another season. But he may be needed for them in the Championship next year.

Peter Urminsky - N/A - Signed after a lengthy trial in January. Young Slovakian keeper very much for down the line.

Lee Hodson - 7/10 - Came back in late on due to McGinn leaving and has been same old Hodson. Mostly reliable. Prone to the odd brain fart. A player who is flexible in that he's a jack of all trades in terms of position but best in none of them. Would have him kept on but will be out of our scope as Gillingham are paying him stupid money.

Alex Jakubiak - 7/10 - Underrated signing. His arrival opened up the door for Obika to start doing what he was meant to. He's not without his issues. Passing can be very suspect and doesn't get his head up sometimes or score as many goals as we'd like. On the other hand, he's strong with his back to goal, is skillful, fast as f**k and has a knack of drawing players out of position. Now a free agent after Watford contract is up and I'd be trying to get him back.

Seifedin Chabbi - 2/10 - We waited til 6 hours after the window for this guy. Durmus' pal. Scores goals wherever he goes.....and he's nowhere near fit. Spent 4 weeks doing extra sessions running the streets of Paisley to get up to scratch, finally got some game time and the shutdown happened. Shame as in his brief appearances he did appear to love a dig.

Ross Wallace - 6/10 - Again, very fleeting and we'll likely not see him again as he'll be 36 by time next season rolls around. Was involved heavily in the win at Motherwell and provided that wonderful through ball vs Hearts. Also some excellent dead balls. All of his points are based on those contributions for which we're grateful. Star shone brightly and briefly.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Dean Lyness - N/A - Signed as backup to Hladky and hasn't played a minute this season. Harsh not to rate him as he was already with us last season and did the business in half a dozen or so games before leaving and resigning but having to treat him as a new player.

Tony Andreu - 4/10 - Disappointing. Guy was one of the many hammers of us for a long time, so was pretty excited to get him in, even if he's aging and a bit injury prone (which he's actually not been with us). His touch and technique are absolutely ridiculous but many times he'd get into position 12-15 yards out, cut back comes to him and he blazed it. Really frustrating as I expected more.

Oan Djorkaeff - 1/10 - Arrived, sat on bench after league cup games. Then didn't even do that. Then presumably leaves. Gets a point as his old man showed up at the ground with a Saints top on.

Ilkay Durmus - 8/10 - Not always the most consistent at first as he tried to find his feet but in the story of our season, he provided more decisive goals than anyone else in the squad, including Obika. Always dangerous on the ball, loves to drift inside and hit a dig and a lot of time find himself in the right place at right time in the box.

Sam Foley - 10/10 - 'St. Mirren sign 32 year old league one winger Sam Foley on a 2 year contract'. At first those words had me going 'FFS, this is our level of signing?' but once it became obvious his legs were long gone for wing play and he's be a holding mid, I was a bit more relaxed. This guy covers every blade of grass and then some. He's some athlete, good in the tackle, can pick a very good pass and even plays well as centre half (which he's never done previously). Only one minor critique of him is that he needs to be a bit more greedy and hit shots when in a decent area to do so.

Jon Obika - 9/10 - Always been a fan of the big guy despite a slowish start. He had a fucking torrid time of it from some sections of our support. 'Cody Cooke is better', 'Danny Mullen works harder'. Neither were approaching true. I mentioned early on in his stint that he reminds me of Billy Mehmet. Good at holding play up and bringing others into the match which for the first half of the season, was Obika's best quality, yet folk still gave him stick. It wasn't until January and the arrival of Jakubiak (who could do that dropping-deep work with back to goal) that we truly saw what big Jon brought to the table. They formed a very good partnership. Very good player with the ball at his feet, deceptively not so great in the air for a towering man of his size. Oh and then the goal that will go down in folklore for St. Mirren fans.

Calum Waters - 4/10 - I've been told at games an online that I'm unfairly harsh on Calum. Admittedly, he was coming into a game a bit since January but I just feel he gets caught over the top far too often, lets wingers get into the box before making a challenge and even then, isn't great in the tackle. For someone who is a purely defensive full back with very little attacking threat, that's worrying. Also his deal balls and crossing is really, really weak.

Sean McLoughlin - 8.5/10 - Superb player who will go on to make a good career for himself in the Premier league in England without issue. Hull sent him up here to adjust to playing against full time sides (coming straight from League of Ireland) apparently with a view to then sending him back out to another English side but he did so well that Hull actually realised he was already English Championship level, so he ended up in Hull's first team as a regular up until the shutdown. Very confident and composed on the ball. Would have loved to have kept him for the rest of the season.

Junior Morias - 4/10 - Came in with a decent goals to minutes ratio for Northampton. So looked like he's maybe do some damage. Has shown decent ability in spells but nowhere near consistent enough. Does not look like a footballer, more that he should be squatting atlas stones onto plinths on a beach in California or something.

Kyle McAllister - 2/10 - Huge disappointment. Came in on a 3 year contract to a lot of fanfare and excitement and although we are well aware of his injury issues, fans felt we'd be in good shape to manage this properly. On his day, he's a game changer as we saw last season when he was on loan. Looked timid, afraid to commit, uninterested. As pure a representation of an empty shirt as you'll see. Needs to really up it or he'll not see the 3 years out. A real shame as he is exceptionally talented.

Kirk Broadfoot - 🐍/10 - f**k this c**t.

Conor McCarthy - 8/10 - A lot of worries when we lost McLoughlin in January but we snapped Conor up pretty quickly from Cork City (he was always on the cards regardless of McLoughlin staying or going). Old school as f**k. Black boots, shirt tucked in, shorts up high. A total bread and butter defender. Love the guy already and genuinely believe he'll go on to bigger things than ourselves. He's taken to Scottish football like a duck to water.

Jamie McGrath - 5/10 - One that we got really excited about as his arrival tipped Dundalk fans over the edge. They instantly proclaimed that they were one of the biggest 5 clubs in Europe or something and that McGrath going to St. Mirren makes a mockery of his godly abilities. Christ, he must be good to wind a support up that much! But so far? Meh, he's been decent enough but not a game changer - maybe he's just adjusting to the rigours of our game and a pre-season will do him some good. 

Akin Famewo - 7/10 - McLoughlin's replacement. Came in from Norwich as their U23 captain and looked the part. Reading of the game is strong for the most part and he is a big unit of a lad. Was growing in confidence and ability every week and would be nice if Norwich threw him our way for another season. But he may be needed for them in the Championship next year.

Peter Urminsky - N/A - Signed after a lengthy trial in January. Young Slovakian keeper very much for down the line.

Lee Hodson - 7/10 - Came back in late on due to McGinn leaving and has been same old Hodson. Mostly reliable. Prone to the odd brain fart. A player who is flexible in that he's a jack of all trades in terms of position but best in none of them. Would have him kept on but will be out of our scope as Gillingham are paying him stupid money.

Alex Jakubiak - 7/10 - Underrated signing. His arrival opened up the door for Obika to start doing what he was meant to. He's not without his issues. Passing can be very suspect and doesn't get his head up sometimes or score as many goals as we'd like. On the other hand, he's strong with his back to goal, is skillful, fast as f**k and has a knack of drawing players out of position. Now a free agent after Watford contract is up and I'd be trying to get him back.

Seifedin Chabbi - 2/10 - We waited til 6 hours after the window for this guy. Durmus' pal. Scores goals wherever he goes.....and he's nowhere near fit. Spent 4 weeks doing extra sessions running the streets of Paisley to get up to scratch, finally got some game time and the shutdown happened. Shame as in his brief appearances he did appear to love a dig.

Ross Wallace - 6/10 - Again, very fleeting and we'll likely not see him again as he'll be 36 by time next season rolls around. Was involved heavily in the win at Motherwell and provided that wonderful through ball vs Hearts. Also some excellent dead balls. All of his points are based on those contributions for which we're grateful. Star shone brightly and briefly.

Yip I agree with most of this, Foleys been superb as has Durmus, McCarthy looks every bit as good as McLaughlin while McGrath looks a player when playing in his proper position (CM)....Jakubiak is a defo to try and hold on to, and of course Big Jon Obika is already a legend..... Looking good so far for next season...

ps, I completely forgot we actually signed Chabbi.....

Tony Andreu - 4/10 - Disappointing. Guy was one of the many hammers of us for a long time, so was pretty excited to get him in, even if he's aging and a bit injury prone (which he's actually not been with us). His touch and technique are absolutely ridiculous but many times he'd get into position 12-15 yards out, cut back comes to him and he blazed it. Really frustrating as I expected more.
Sam Foley - 10/10 - 'St. Mirren sign 32 year old league one winger Sam Foley on a 2 year contract'. At first those words had me going 'FFS, this is our level of signing?' but once it became obvious his legs were long gone for wing play and he's be a holding mid, I was a bit more relaxed. This guy covers every blade of grass and then some. He's some athlete, good in the tackle, can pick a very good pass and even plays well as centre half (which he's never done previously). Only one minor critique of him is that he needs to be a bit more greedy and hit shots when in a decent area to do so.
Jon Obika - 9/10 - Always been a fan of the big guy despite a slowish start. He had a fucking torrid time of it from some sections of our support. 'Cody Cooke is better', 'Danny Mullen works harder'. Neither were approaching true. I mentioned early on in his stint that he reminds me of Billy Mehmet. Good at holding play up and bringing others into the match which for the first half of the season, was Obika's best quality, yet folk still gave him stick. It wasn't until January and the arrival of Jakubiak (who could do that dropping-deep work with back to goal) that we truly saw what big Jon brought to the table. They formed a very good partnership. Very good player with the ball at his feet, deceptively not so great in the air for a towering man of his size. Oh and then the goal that will go down in folklore for St. Mirren fans.
Calum Waters - 4/10 - I've been told at games an online that I'm unfairly harsh on Calum. Admittedly, he was coming into a game a bit since January but I just feel he gets caught over the top far too often, lets wingers get into the box before making a challenge and even then, isn't great in the tackle. For someone who is a purely defensive full back with very little attacking threat, that's worrying. Also his deal balls and crossing is really, really weak.
Sean McLoughlin - 8.5/10 - Superb player who will go on to make a good career for himself in the Premier league in England without issue. Hull sent him up here to adjust to playing against full time sides (coming straight from League of Ireland) apparently with a view to then sending him back out to another English side but he did so well that Hull actually realised he was already English Championship level, so he ended up in Hull's first team as a regular up until the shutdown. Very confident and composed on the ball. Would have loved to have kept him for the rest of the season.
Junior Morias - 4/10 - Came in with a decent goals to minutes ratio for Northampton. So looked like he's maybe do some damage. Has shown decent ability in spells but nowhere near consistent enough. Does not look like a footballer, more that he should be squatting atlas stones onto plinths on a beach in California or something.
Kirk Broadfoot - [emoji216]/10 - f**k this c**t.
You got the ratings for Hodson and Waters the wrong way round. Imho Hodson has been poor. Waters had a very poor start but has substantially improved as the season went on. This improvement also benefited Ilkay as he got a lot more of the ball and some decent support.

On 20/05/2020 at 20:08, DrewDon said:

James Wilson - 2/10: Flashes of technical ability, but unfortunately has to go down as a flop - moved on six months into a two-year deal. Despite everything, I did continue to hold out hope for Wilson, especially compared to less gifted players who got significantly more minutes, but, for whatever reason(s), it just didn't work out.

Something has gone missing from Wilson.  You can see from some of the stuff that he does, he could be head and shoulders above the rest of the league... but then... meh!

It feels like he's never quite 'on-it'.  Or that he just doesn't relish it/ isn't enjoying it.

I do wonder if he's ever pain-free, because he just seems to be a bit reserved.

You just know that he is a talent, and a talent that you'd want to see play.  I was always just waiting for him to properly burst out of his chrysalis and show people what he was capable of...

Does he deserve 2/10?  I'm not sure, AFC certainly invested heavily in an injured player.  A debt that he didn't manage to repay, but he was never a complete liability, so I'd up it to 3 or 4.  That having been said I wish him all the best for the future, he's still young, so I hope he finds his mojo.

Yours

aDONis

Kirk Broadfoot - [emoji216]/10 - f**k this c**t.
Pretty much saved us all the effort.

On 20/05/2020 at 20:08, DrewDon said:

Just the summer ones, as I don't think I've seen enough from the January signings to offer a fair assessment. 

Ash Taylor - 7/10: Can I just shock you? I like Ash Taylor. When it was announced that we were considering signing him again after a mediocre couple of seasons in the English lower leagues, I was strongly opposed - but he's been... pretty good. His distribution is still poor, but more or less everything else has been fine: excellent in the air, strong in the tackle, and not overly slow for a player of his size. I can't really think of an obvious error on his part that has been responsible for an opposition goal. McKenna has also looked more assured beside him since he established himself as a first choice. You are always going to fear that a howler is just around the corner, the sort that littered his first spell with us, but so far, so good. 

Greg Leigh - 5/10: Leigh is quite a divisive player. Some of our fans seem to love him, but some are more sceptical - I'm in the latter group. The positives: he is a powerful runner, gets up and down the pitch well, and he is strong in the air. But I'm quite old-fashioned, so I like my full-backs to defend competently - and I've not seen enough of that from Leigh. Would I trust him at left-back against better teams, when he is going to be pinned back and forced to defend for long periods? On the current evidence, no. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him permanently, and I wouldn't be completely opposed, but there is some work to be done. 

Zak Vyner - 3/10: A bit of a nothing player, in all honesty. I suppose you could say he was versatile but, in Vyner's case, that is basically code for being mediocre in different positions. Notably struggled against better opposition. He wasn't missed after his loan was ended. Scored a really nice goal against Motherwell at Fir Park, though. 

Funso Ojo - 6/10: I like Ojo, I think. I'm still not quite sure. He missed a large chunk of the first half of the season through injury, but he had been fairly up and down before then. He was better post-break; he started to impose himself more, some nice passing, begun to give us a foothold in games. Still more to come, I hope, and it will be interesting to see if he and McGeouch can fit in the same team long-term, but probably more good than bad so far.  

Craig Bryson - 2/10: The signing we were all most excited about, but we have hardly seen him. When he has played, and been something approaching full fitness, which really isn't often, he has shown small signs of the player we thought we were getting from Derby, but that's about as positive I can be. Currently, and perhaps through little fault of his own, a massive disappointment and a waste of a big wage. 

Jon Gallagher - 2/10: If you had told me that Gallagher would make about thirty appearances for us when he signed, I would have presumed he had been a big success. But I thought he was absolutely rubbish - technically so far off the standard required. He was very quick, but had a poor touch, no composure, no guile, no end product. I still can't understand why McInnes kept giving him a decent amount of minutes in the first half of the season, unless it was for contractual reasons. I'd be surprised to see him resurfacing at any serious level of the game in the future. 

James Wilson - 2/10: Flashes of technical ability, but unfortunately has to go down as a flop - moved on six months into a two-year deal. Despite everything, I did continue to hold out hope for Wilson, especially compared to less gifted players who got significantly more minutes, but, for whatever reason(s), it just didn't work out.

Ryan Hedges - 6/10: Strange one. I'd imagine his stats are probably quite impressive, but he has fallen out of favour post-January. I was impressed with him in most of the Europa League qualifiers and early domestic games. From what I've seen, he is quite a direct winger, a decent crosser, chips in with a few goals. But since his opportunities have been reduced, he hasn't made the most of the limited chances he has been given. It will be interesting to see what happens with him when the football starts back up again, whether he continues to drift out of the first team picture or if he can re-establish himself as a regular. 

Curtis Main - 5/10: Probably of one our least popular signings under McInnes. He's been better than I expected, I suppose. He was keeping Cosgrove out of the team in the period leading up to the stoppage - he doesn't offer the same goal threat, but he contributes with a few, works very hard and he 'leads the line' pretty well. Would I want him to be our first-choice striker in the medium to long term? No. Have I seen enough to suggest that he might be a useful squad option going forward? Just about, yes. 

Can't offer enough of a different perspective to do the whole thing again; I'd echo most of what you've said.

Couple of changes though.

Funso Ojo - 8/10 - I must admit I absolutely love the guy. He's better than Ryan Jack ever was for us imo. Composed on the ball, and does the simple things to perfection. I think the only time(s) I can recall him giving the ball away is when he's been on the receiving end of a hospital pass.

Jon Gallagher - 0/10 - Absolute donkey

Ryan Hedges - 8/10 - Has played more games as a sub than a starter and had 4 goals and 5 assists, so yes; pretty decent stats. On top of that, we look a genuinely slicker, better team when he's playing. Absolutely no idea why McInnes has used him so sparingly.

5 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Can't offer enough of a different perspective to do the whole thing again; I'd echo most of what you've said.

Couple of changes though.

Funso Ojo - 8/10 - I must admit I absolutely love the guy. He's better than Ryan Jack ever was for us imo. Composed on the ball, and does the simple things to perfection. I think the only time(s) I can recall him giving the ball away is when he's been on the receiving end of a hospital pass.

Jon Gallagher - 0/10 - Absolute donkey

Ryan Hedges - 8/10 - Has played more games as a sub than a starter and had 4 goals and 5 assists, so yes; pretty decent stats. On top of that, we look a genuinely slicker, better team when he's playing. Absolutely no idea why McInnes has used him so sparingly.

Hmm, not sure if we've seen enough of Funso to give him that title. The *** rat was very, very good for us, can't really deny it. Funso looks tidy and has potential but I think 6 is fair.

I'd also say Hedges is a 6 too, flatters to deceive for me plenty of the time and lacks the pace to be a really effective winger. He is good but I just can't take to him that well.

Ash Taylor was definitely not a popular signing, but he is a better option than playing Devlin (who has just completely fallen off a cliff). Plays better in the games against the better teams when we sit deep and isn't required to play the ball in the opposition half. His passing is inconsistent at best and doesn't help himself with trying to play long balls out wide. There were better options available last summer, so still wouldn't get a high mark.

Greg Leigh was injured for long periods of the season, so is a lot more difficult to judge. Think he is as good an option, going forward, as the team has had at left back for a while. Considine is fine, but doesn't have the pace or passing ability that Leigh has. Showed in the Motherwell away match, when he played in midfield, how good a footballer he is. But needs game time to get better as a left back.

Funso Ojo showed in spells he could finally be the player required to replace Jack, but again missed such a long period of time with injuries. Only concern is the compatibility with McGeouch, as both of them like to sit deep and a central position. Would like to see him playing a little further up the pitch and supporting Ferguson in pressing the opposition midfield.

McGeouch came in, and for a lot of his early League games looked completely off the pace but has steadily improved. Was looking forward to him, Ojo and Ferguson actually getting a run together. The midfield has been patched together for most of the season, and having three good midfielders was a rare sight.

Hedges suffered from being played on the right with almost no support from any right back throughout the season. Logan doesn't have the ability to be such an attacking threat anymore, and doesn't allow Hedges the space to cut infield. Not sure he is a better option than McGinn yet, but is a great option to have.

Main was an unnecessary signing at the time, especially when the squad was lacking in depth in other areas. There were other players at the club that would have been better suited for the game time that he got. He's a limited player and we've already seen his limit.

Joe Chalmers- not as shite as I thouht he'd be, scored a few bangers but not amazing. 6/10

Ross Laidlaw- decent keeper. Not more than that. 6/10

Blair Spittal- useful, does a shift in the middle and out wide if needed. Generally a fan. 7/10

Nathan Baxter- not at fault for most of the goals he's conceded. Probably a slightly better keeper than Laidlaw, but not by much. 7/10

Simon Power- insanely fast, got injured then never seen again. 2/10

Jack Ruddy- played one game, looked mediocre. 3/10

Lee Erwin- One goal vs Killie, looks like he's running in treacle 4/10

Ewan Henderson- decent player, good touch but needs to toughen up, very slight 5/10

Ricky Foster- solid, consistent and dependable compared to the other mince in our defence 7/10

Jordan Tilson- a useful player, keeps things ticking. 6.5/10

Coll Donaldson- a good signing, shows promise. Shame about the facial injury he picked up. 7/10

Oli Shaw- we spent six figures on him. ffs 3/10

12 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Funso Ojo - 8/10 - I must admit I absolutely love the guy. He's better than Ryan Jack ever was for us imo. 

Pretty ridiculous statement that, at one point Jack was incredible a few years back. It looked like we had a real player on our hands before becoming captain and being reasonable in his final months at Aberdeen. One of our worst captains ever would be a fair statement was given it purely to keep him.

Edited by red23

6 minutes ago, crispy said:

Even Halkett? He must've been close to your all comps top goalscorer, in a low-scoring team admittedly.

Not so good at defending though.

As evidenced when he was blowing out of his arse chasing Sir Jon of Obika.:)

Taking it upon myself to do a more detailed write up of Hibs', as nobody else has yet:

Scott Allan - 8.5/10 - A good season from Scooter, although with a weaker midfield around him than in his previous two spells, he looked a bit lost at times. Didn't help that Heckingbottom thought the answer might be playing him wide. It wasn't. A couple of delicious shroo balls to Horgan (at Ibrox in August) and Boyle (at home to Aberdeen in December) spring to mind. The fact that we know he's capable of better reduces his score down from a 9 or 9.5.

Adam Jackson - 7/10 - Probably an element of recency bias in this score, but Jackson had a pretty strong 2020 after a shaky start to the season, the highlight being a MOTM performance in the 2-1 win at Rugby Park. Also seems to have goals in his game, which is a rarity for a Hibs defender. Defensively a little ropey at times, but I think a large part of that is down to him playing next to Paul Hanlon.

Joe Newell - 8/10 - A real Jekyll and Hyde season for Newell. He started horrendously on the left under Heckingbottom, before liking a bunch of pro-Conservative tweets around election time to indicate his right wing preference. Clearly much better as a central midfielder, and he began to pile up the assists under Ross. Also an excellent corner taker, which again is a rarity for Hibs.

Christian Doidge - 9.5/10 - Whatever you think of the start Shagger Doidge™ made at Hibs, you can't deny his fantastic goalscoring record since - 18 goals in 38 games is a strike rate that most Hibs strikers haven't come close to over the years. Got to deduct half a point for his awful start, he really just needed a goal or two to get his confidence going. Plays well both on his own and with a striker partner (especially with Kamberi before he slithered to Ibrox), keeping Doidge is a priority this summer. Oh, and getting him a better song than the Firmino one is also a must.

Tom James - 4.5/10 - a very 'meh' signing. He's come in when required and been fairly solid 

Chris Maxwell - 2.5/10 - Really, really bad. Had to bring Bogdan in as it was clear that he couldn't even be trusted as a back up for Marciano. Let in some very suspect goals. Still, better kicking than Marciano.

Josh Vela - 2/10 - I think when you measure the success of a signing, you're fundamentally looking at the gap between expectations and reality. Josh Vela wasn't even that bad in his short time at Hibs, but he was just so below what had been expected of him, as one of Heckingbottom's more marquee signings in the summer. Some Hibs fans had it in for him right from the start, but many of his performances just weren't up to scratch. Rightly punted in January and replaced by Docherty.

Glenn Middleton - 3.5/10 - Not really Middleton's fault, but when you look at how well Boyle plays on the wing in comparison, it's night and day stuff. Again probabyl another victim of Heckingbottom's tactical tombola, usually would come on to try and help us chase a winner that we'd just thrown away with bad defending. Don't wish him any ill but I don't see him having much of a career at Ibrox.

Melker Hallberg - 6/10 - Fairly solid without being spectacular, a bit of a Slivka type player with a bit more of an engine to him. Goals in a semi final against Celtic and an Edinburgh derby that flatly didn't matter. Even in his better games he doesn't exactly catch the eye.

Jason Naismith - 6.5/10 - The injury came just as he was putting a run of consistent performances together. More impressed with him going forward than I am defensively, which wasn't exactly ideal given how many goals we were shipping in. Would be interested in seeing him back at Easter Road on a permanent deal, certainly prefer him to McGinn in the right back position.

Adam Bogdan - N/A - Not fair to grade him as he signed in November and sat on the bench without making an appearance.

Stephane Omeonga - 5.5/10 - Didn't get all that much time to prove himself before the shutdown. Great strike against Caley Thistle. Generally just came on and kept the team ticking over, rather than shining particularly brightly. Again a symptom of Hibs just re-signing old players.

Paul McGinn - 4.5/10 - Not particularly impressed with McGinn so far, especially considering that we paid St Mirren money for him. Last game of the season saw Aberdeen run riot against him in the second half. Doesn't appear to have a great deal of pace on him and that's a big problem against some of the speedier players.

Marc McNulty - 3/10 - Really don't rate him, although to be fair he's not had much time to prove himself in this spell. Feels very much like a 'let's appease the "SIGN SOMEBODY" crowd on social media' signing.  Just the one league goal since he signed, a hattrick away at BSC Glasgow being the other 'highlight'. Also should've been sent off in the derby for petulantly stamping on Sean Clare's back. I have to admit it's a bit of a personal judgement but I just think he's a welt and nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Greg Docherty - 7/10 - From the limited time he was here he was excellent, but faded away in the last few games. Scored goals, made chances and generally ran the midfield superbly in February. Rangers would be silly not to be looking at having him at least as a squad player for next season IMO.

19 hours ago, red23 said:

Pretty ridiculous statement that, at one point Jack was incredible a few years back. It looked like we had a real player on our hands before becoming captain and being reasonable in his final months at Aberdeen. One of our worst captains ever would be a fair statement was given it purely to keep him.

I genuinely believe he's as good as Jack in that role. The only question mark for me is consistency, but given that the premise of the thread is rating players who have been here for a year or less, it would be unfair to judge on that criteria.

Also, remember Jack had Shinnie, McLean, Christie, and Logan (when he was good) alongside him to make his job easier.

Agreed, Ojo is very neat & composed.  If Bryson had been fit, it would have been interesting to see them in the two holding midfield roles, as I'm not sure he has the stamina for the box to box role he played previously.  McGeouch is too similar to Ojo to complement each other & McInnes tries too often to shoehorn all of these centre-mids, including Ferguson, into the side at once.