Accent prejudice

1 minute ago, BillyAnchor said:

That English accent where they pronounce the hard G at the end of words like givinG or suckinG drives me up the wall.

Are you sure they don't just have a cold?

I spent the weekend in Newcastle/Gateshead once and literally could not understand a fucking word that was being said to me. "I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" only works so many times before people assume you're mentally incompetent. One of the most cringe-inducing experiences of my life; my skin wanted to crawl away off my body as I grinned like a moron at anything and everything said to me.

I like the sound of the accent, and everyone seemed very, very friendly, but I think I'd have a panic attack if I had to go back without an interpreter.

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I spent the weekend in Newcastle/Gateshead once and literally could not understand a fucking word that was being said to me. "I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" only works so many times before people assume you're mentally incompetent. One of the most cringe-inducing experiences of my life; my skin wanted to crawl away off my body as I grinned like a moron at anything and everything said to me.

I like the sound of the accent, and everyone seemed very, very friendly, but I think I'd have a panic attack if I had to go back without an interpreter.

YI.

The weegie accent is awful and I'm not sure how they don't realise it. At least people in Birmingham and the West Country seem to have some self awareness about how bad their accents are. The proper London accent isn't too bad but the home counties and South coast accent is brutal "Linda-r lets go to the cinema-r" 

Bristol has the UK's best accent 

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

The Geordie accent is horrible, especially within the female species, coarse as cats shite

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Read the two letters as individual letters.  The second is a capital.

This exchange has frankly brought me out in a cold sweat. Scarred for life.

2 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

The Geordie accent is horrible, especially within the female species, coarse as cats shite

I like a little coarseness in a lady, but being able to understand what she's saying is also a plus.

I can see how others might feel differently on the second point, however.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I like a little coarseness in a lady, but being able to understand what she's saying is also a plus.

I can see how others might feel differently on the second point, however.

Probably the fact I detest Geordies’ regardless doesn’t help 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Shall we take bets on the who the first teuchter will be to have ago at the weegie accent?

Soon as any females hear my weegie accent in a pub they are throwing themselves at me.

True story.