Accent prejudice

55 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Brutal, reminds of the "marine accent" a little bit. I ken kents from Fife that were in the marines and end up coming back with English accents, I'd like to take the piss out of them but they would probably have killed me with their bare hands

16 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I turned that off after 10 seconds and literally threw my phone across the room

she uses the word literally a lot too ( not criticising you ....unless you didnt really throw your phone across the room...then I am) 

Until about 5 years ago hardly anyone ever used literally.....is it just a filler too as in 99% of cases it is inappropriate and just wrong - "my head literally exploded" "I literally had kittens...."

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

she uses the word literally a lot too ( not criticising you ....unless you didnt really throw your phone across the room...then I am) 

Until about 5 years ago hardly anyone ever used literally.....is it just a filler too as in 99% of cases it is inappropriate and just wrong - "my head literally exploded" "I literally had kittens...."

To clarify: "the doctor's surgery was flooded with cases of diahorrea" is not as bad as "the doctor's surgery was literally flooded with cases of diahorrea".

On 20/05/2020 at 15:50, Torpar said:

The weegie accent is awful and I'm not sure how they don't realise it. At least people in Birmingham and the West Country seem to have some self awareness about how bad their accents are. The proper London accent isn't too bad but the home counties and South coast accent is brutal "Linda-r lets go to the cinema-r" 

Bristol has the UK's best accent 

Tell ‘ee, kidder. I loves it. 

I often have people over here tell me I have a strong Scottish accent! Considering I have Doric and Aberdonian heritage and grew up it Caithness it sure as hell isn’t!

Years of debating, sales and teaching have probably made it less of a strong dialect, but put me in a bar in Thurso and I doubt any ‘murcan would understand without subtitles!

My girls tell me my accent has softened, but they have 10+ years of exposure to it so it’s probably just familiarity, but I’ve never gone down (oooh Kenneth) the John Barrowman rout of transatlantic-izing (?) it [emoji23]

Too many twats still think it’s Irish though [emoji2959]

When at work I have to speak to a man who I can tell was an Aberdonian but lives in the south of England, the put on accent that he does absolutely kills me and I can't actually hear what he's saying as my head is going like an alarm "Tory! Tory! Tory!".  I prefer to email them. 

When at work I have to speak to a man who I can tell was an Aberdonian but lives in the south of England, the put on accent that he does absolutely kills me and I can't actually hear what he's saying as my head is going like an alarm "Tory! Tory! Tory!".  I prefer to email them. 
Oh dear, do you have to deal with Michael Gove?

6 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I often have people over here tell me I have a strong Scottish accent! Considering I have Doric and Aberdonian heritage and grew up it Caithness it sure as hell isn’t!

Years of debating, sales and teaching have probably made it less of a strong dialect, but put me in a bar in Thurso and I doubt any ‘murcan would understand without subtitles!

My girls tell me my accent has softened, but they have 10+ years of exposure to it so it’s probably just familiarity, but I’ve never gone down (oooh Kenneth) the John Barrowman rout of transatlantic-izing (?) it emoji23.png

Too many twats still think it’s Irish though emoji2959.png

Half of America think they're Irish, so much for their cultural awareness.

I'm so happy i was brought up in the posh part of the Kingdom, otherwise i could have developed a genuine Cowdengellyphinnans accent like some of these yokels.  (The lady's reference to not being unclean was a 70's thing and would be unacceptable today).

3 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

I'm so happy i was brought up in the posh part of the Kingdom, otherwise i could have developed a genuine Cowdengellyphinnans accent like some of these yokels.  (The lady's reference to not being unclean was a 70's thing and would be unacceptable today).

Did they get a song about Methil?

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
8 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Oh dear, do you have to deal with Michael Gove?

In terms of accent this guy is similar but goes beyond Gove more English. 

Unless you’re an Ayr fan...