Accent prejudice

12 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I’ve had kids at school here ask me “what language do you speak in Scotland “

A wee ned in a shop in Liverpool asked where i was from so i said "Scotland". He asked if that was in Ireland. 

Thankfully the Gourock accent is removed from Weegie sounding.

That 'Glesga Uni' type accent (where they have an inflection at the end of a sentence) has got to be up there for the worst.

The automated phone calls are a pain in the hole. They never understand me. It might explain this story from when I was in Rhodes on holiday. One of the entertainment team came round asking if I’d like to take part in some event. I said no I was happy lying on the lounger reading. He then started to repeat his question in German. I told him I understood the first time and he apologised thinking I’d replied the first time speaking German.

I didn’t think Kirkcaldy had much of an accent until I moved away. Now when I go back for the football it’s unbearable. “Shya c**t a says tae um a widni dae that fur a hunner pound.”

I also work with a woman from Inverness who has a son called Ryan and the way she says his name makes my skin crawl. Every accent west of Shotts is fucking minging, nasally shite. The way they all have that upward tone towards the end of sentences really grinds me. And the use of “but” to finish sentences; yet to hear a valid answer to why that’s used.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I didn’t think Kirkcaldy had much of an accent until I moved away. Now when I go back for the football it’s unbearable. “Shya c**t a says tae um a widni dae that fur a hunner pound.”

I also work with a woman from Inverness who has a son called Ryan and the way she says his name makes my skin crawl. Every accent west of Balerno is fucking minging, nasally shite. The way they all have that upward tone towards the end of sentences really grinds me. And the use of “but” to finish sentences; yet to hear a valid answer to why that’s used.

FTFY.

16 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

East Midlands isn’t unpleasant but it’s really uninteresting

Leicester town council should invent a vocal gimmick that they could all adopt as an expression of civic pride

I can’t stand the accent from the Leicester / Derby area .....(or , as they would put it Less-taw / Dawn-beh).  You can lump Stoke and Nottingham in with that as well.  Possibly because any time I ever watched Jeremy Kyle ,  the “guests” were usually mutants from that neck of the woods.

Also can’t stand the generic Scottish accent that a lot of Scots develop after living in England for a number of years. So that unless you know them you couldn’t really be sure which part of Scotland they originally came from.......just somewhere in Scotland. Current example.....Charlie Adam.  Older ones include Kevin Gallagher and Colin Hendry.

I can’t stand the accent from the Leicester / Derby area .....(or , as they would put it Less-taw / Dawn-beh).  You can lump Stoke and Nottingham in with that as well.  Possibly because any time I ever watched Jeremy Kyle ,  the “guests” were usually mutants from that neck of the woods.

I’ve never watched Jeremy Kyle so my sample was based on a few acquaintances who got out and moved to Edinburgh, David Attenborough and Gary Lineker.

I doubt either sample is truly representative

I'm having to take part in quite a lot of conference calls involving people from all over the UK.
I'm hearing a lot of people who speak with really lame bland middle-England accents, and they just get on my fucking nerves - I've noticed this before, tbf, and it doesn't help when they're predominantly using middle-management speak. :angry:
The other thing I'm noticing is that anyone speaking in an Irish accent sounds brash and quite aggressive.
Is anyone a mad intolerant racist like me? Do you find certain accents annoying? Could you give a f**k either way?
Thread had potential until you indicated that all Irish accents sound the same. Ffs mate. Huge spectrum ranging from aggressive to soft.
I'm out.