Accent prejudice

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The four Scottish ones were school friends at Watson’s which means you win some kind of prize.

I'd have put money on them having gone to one of them...it's a very particular accent that's almost untranscribable, essentially posh Scottish but with the likes of "don't" coming out as almost "deun't" and so on.

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The Edinburgh accent that I always found the strangest when I spent a lot of time there was that odd hybrid Scottish/RP merchant school type one where a lot of the vowel sounds get mangled into weird dipthongs that you don't really hear anywhere else...if you watch the sketch show Absolutely a few of them have got fairly pronounced versions of it.

I don't think everybody that goes to the schools necessarily develops it - an ex of mine who went to Heriot's Hairy Twatts managed to avoid it and just sounded posh Scottish, but her former school friend flatmate had a full-on version,

3 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

The Edinburgh accent that I always found the strangest when I spent a lot of time there was that odd hybrid Scottish/RP merchant school type one where a lot of the vowel sounds get mangled into weird dipthongs that you don't really hear anywhere else...if you watch the sketch show Absolutely a few of them have got fairly pronounced versions of it.

I'd have put money on them having gone to one of them...it's a very particular accent that's almost untranscribable, essentially posh Scottish but with the likes of "don't" coming out as almost "deun't" and so on.

Being from Edinburgh I’d just thought of that as the standard form of “Posh Scottish” that others deviate from.

Posh Glasgow seems a little more modulated like Ken Bruce or John Beattie

38 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Being from Edinburgh I’d just thought of that as the standard form of “Posh Scottish” that others deviate from.

Posh Glasgow seems a little more modulated like Ken Bruce or John Beattie

One thing that seems to have completely died out over here is that faux-posh Kelvinsaide accent...I reckon it got the pish ripped out it so mercilessly that towards the end there were just a few ancient women still using it. I've not heard anyone using it in maybe ten years or more, so they've probably finally all died off.

In the areas it was most prevalent it's in large part been replaced by that Glasgow Uni accent though, so there aren't any winners there.

On 21/05/2020 at 01:25, Highland Capital said:

Quebecois speaking English have a brilliant accent. 

On your point about Quebecois, I remember in French class at school being shown "Les Simpson" and thinking that while it was fairly easy for me to pick up on stuff given I knew the episodes so well, their accents were just a bit pish. Then last year I discovered the Quebecois version of Les Simpson and it was just so, so much better. Case in point:

Unfortunately the clips here aren't from brilliant episodes, so here's a better example, firstly in French and then Quebecois:

I understand a lot less of the Quebecois dub but the voices are better so given the choice I'd rather watch it. 

14 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Also it is not just Quebec.  As well as New Brunswick being bilingual there are French speaking communities in Ontario and Manitoba.  I was surprised to learn about this on a flight to Winnipeg.

There are big French speaking communities in Saskatchewan and Alberta too, I discovered yesterday they seem to have more variation in accents and dialects than English speaking Canada where there seems to be three accents, Newfoundland, The Maritimes and the rest of Canada (maybe four if you include Native people speaking English) 

49 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

One thing that seems to have completely died out over here is that faux-posh Kelvinsaide accent...I reckon it got the pish ripped out it so mercilessly that towards the end there were just a few ancient women still using it. I've not heard anyone using it in maybe ten years or more, so they've probably finally all died off.

In the areas it was most prevalent it's in large part been replaced by that Glasgow Uni accent though, so there aren't any winners there.

I ettended Glasgow Uni. I'll hev you know!

On 22/05/2020 at 10:14, Granny Danger said:

In Mexico, for the 1986 WC, I was complimented by a Mexican guy on my command of the English language. It probably happens quite a lot.    Good thing, IMO.

Edited by cyderspaceman
spolling

8 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

In Mexico, for the 1986 WC, I was complemented by a Mexican guy on my command of the English language. It probably happens quite a lot.    Good thing, IMO.

Unlike Scotland getting to a World Cup.

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I think that's an Elgin accent.

I think it’s someone from Elgin trying to take the piss out of the Inverness accent. 

They failed of course, as Invernessians don’t say ‘nae’ in place of ‘not’. We say ‘no’.

Anyway, anyone from Elgin has a hard neck taking the piss out of anyone’s accent. Their’s is fucking disgusting. 

In Mexico, for the 1986 WC, I was complemented by a Mexican guy on my command of the English language. It probably happens quite a lot.    Good thing, IMO.

I’ve had kids at school here ask me “what language do you speak in Scotland “

I find the female Canadian accent strange and a tad annoying - a little too deep.

As for British accents, the Brummy one isn't the best but not irritating. I'd say scouse women have the worst although the north Manchester/Bolton one runs it close.

Dundonian remains the standard by which all accents should be measured.