Accent prejudice

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not going to castigate anyone for their accent because I’m not a judgemental cùnt, and because most of the time I speak in Dundee twang and use Dundee slang which is very unappealing.

However I really like the seductive Scottish Highland tones and the soft ROI lilt.

The lilt accent was carribean. 

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The male scouse accent is without question the worst accent in the world. And I'd love to meet the dickhead who allowed them to commentate on Sky and BT. 

The female scouse accent may well be one of the sexiest ones though. 

Go figure. 

Scouse is a strange one in as much as we instantly associate the term with the irritating-as-f**k North Liverpool whine when we think of it...the south Liverpool Beatlesy-type accent is fine, but seems to be in decline these days.

14 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

The Crown/Millburn Invernesian accent is beautiful, with almost lyrical, poetic qualities.  The other side of the river, particularly in the likes of Dalneigh and Merkinch can have that old timey rubberrrrr bumperrrrrrs voice.

I’vespent 31 of my 34 years in Inverness and have lived on the good side of the river and are thankful to have a very soft Inverness accent. Some of time lads I work work on site have proper rubber bumpers accents, but it’s actually quite endearing. 

For being fairly small place, Inverness has about 3 accents.

Brummie is the worst. I had a three hour very video call with someone from there recently and it was difficult not showing visible discomfort. Awful, awful accent that makes the speaker sound like a total idiot. 

I don't mind the North West/Lancashire accent. It goes badly, badly wrong in Liverpool, though. If you had a record of someone speaking in a Lancashire accent and played it at +15%, you get whining Scouse. Another awful accent. 

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The male scouse accent is without question the worst accent in the world. And I'd love to meet the dickhead who allowed them to commentate on Sky and BT. 

The female scouse accent may well be one of the sexiest ones though. 

Go figure. 

Calm down

-Pvxkk.gif

You have a fair point about the female accent. An adult performer called Jane Berry was some girl. Some of the things that came out of (and went into) her mouth would make you blush.

Folk from Brum sound absolutely miserable. That deep-seated kind of misery that only comes from a lifetime without any joy or reason to continue living.

Can't find it now, but the Beeb had a story about how Brummies are the most likely to want to move away from their home town. By quite some margin too, IIRC.

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

You have a fair point about the female accent. An adult performer called Jane Berry was some girl. Some of the things that came out of (and went into) her mouth would make you blush.

pics, la, or... 

24 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I had her mixed up with Cathy Barry for a minute when I read that.

That West Country accent was very confusing. Something about it made you feel you ought to be on a list for watching the village idiot get porked.

Had a few pals at uni from posh areas of Aberdeenshire and always found it weird that they all had an almost English twang to their accents. Possibly due to English parents or whatever but it was interesting that near enough all of them had it. Don't mind the regular Aberdonian accent too much, but am puzzled by the Dundee accent which i'd never heard until uni. 

However i'm from the borders myself and have been told that i have a shocker of an accent.  Pretty much had to put on a neutral Scottish accent when i moved away as it became quickly apparent that communicating with anyone who wasn't also from the borders was a bit of a challenge. 

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Quebecois speaking English have a brilliant accent. 

Quebecois speaking French is brutal, my boss describes it as medieval compared to France. Franco-Ontarians aren't quite so bad.

37 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

I have a Middlesbrough accent 8)

But, it's not too strong, thankfully. One of the worst when you get a common one - 'purple work shirt' could feasibly be said as 'perple werk shert'. 🤢

When I hear people from Stockton talk it sounds somewhere between Geordie and Scouse , slightly bizarre 

8 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Quebecois speaking French is brutal, my boss describes it as medieval compared to France. Franco-Ontarians aren't quite so bad.

It also really depends, I grew up in a part of Quebec (the Eastern Townships east of Montreal) where the French accent isn't too bad but people from the more rural areas such as the Lac St-Jean area (pronounced Lac St-Hean) it's very difficult.  East Montreal is the cockney of Quebecois also, very annoying to understand.  The Gatineau/Outouais accent which I hear most is fine, the Brighton/South coast accent of the Quebecois world.  Here is a handy guide of the QUebecois accents for an English comparison

East Montreal = Cockney

Eastern Townships = Yorkshire

Quebec City = Berkshire(think fake posh)

Lac St Jean = Geordie

Beauce = Scouse

Gaspesie = Glaswegian

Outouais = South Coast

Edited by senorsoupe

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

I've had French people tell me when they speak to Quebecois they find their language quite bizarre.  

Also, I know over here we mostly see Canada as an English speaking country - it's strange for me hearing the Prime Minister of Canada speaking English and it clearly not being his first language.

7 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I've had French people tell me when they speak to Quebecois they find their language quite bizarre.  

Also, I know over here we mostly see Canada as an English speaking country - it's strange for me hearing the Prime Minister of Canada speaking English and it clearly not being his first language.

People outside of Canada often forget that close to 25% of our population speak French as a first language