Accent prejudice

51 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Probably the fact I detest Geordies’ regardless doesn’t help 

I've been told a few times that Scots are unpopular on Tyneside. No idea how true that is.

Anyway, if I had to pick an accent...I spent a lot of my youth around the "Perf wiv Serf" crowd. Even folk from the other Home Counties detest them.

The Liverpool accent is not completely awful but there's a north / south divide in the city. The south Liverpool accent is much kinder on the ears than the one from the north.

For me the one that really gets on my tits is the Lancastrian accent - Blackpool / Preston / Bolton and all variants. Yokely with no redeeming features.

I’m not going to castigate anyone for their accent because I’m not a judgemental cùnt, and because most of the time I speak in Dundee twang and use Dundee slang which is very unappealing.

However I really like the seductive Scottish Highland tones and the soft ROI lilt.

The Crown/Millburn Invernesian accent is beautiful, with almost lyrical, poetic qualities.  The other side of the river, particularly in the likes of Dalneigh and Merkinch can have that old timey rubberrrrr bumperrrrrrs voice.

George Orwell spent a lengthy period in a sanatorium in East Kilbride, prior to hospitalisation in London. This is Old Etonian Orwell's comment on being exposed to upper-class English accents again after a couple of years of the mellifluous tones of the West of Scotland:

"It is as though I were hearing these voices for the first time. And what voices! A sort of over-fedness, a fatuous self-confidence, a constant bah-bahing of laughter abt nothing, above all a sort of heaviness & richness combined with a fundamental ill-will -- people who, one instinctively feels, without even being able to see them, are the enemies of anything intelligent or sensitive or beautiful. No wonder everyone hates us so."

Orwell having his personal Two Minute Hate there.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

The best accent in the UK is a moderate north-west English accent, IMO - strong Scouse is irritating, though. Essex is the worst, Brummie not far behind. 

So what is your opinion of the Beatles or Noddy Holder or Ozzy Osborne?

I like the Scouse and Brummie accents. Love a lady with a nice scouse accent.

Estuary English is shite as is the Jafaican street patter from Landan, innit.

Was working with some guys from Preston and we were pishing ourselves at their Wallace and Grommet accents. 

Ayrshire accents are awful and everyone with one is from the Scheme.

All Scottish teuchter accents are shite.

Scouse/Geordie/Yorkshire/Cockney/West Country are all awful in different ways, the only acceptable English regional accent is Manchester.

Everyone in Dublin sounds like a drug dealing scumbag (think Anthony Stokes). Everyone in Belfast and most of the North sounds like a terrorist. The rest of the Irish accents are beautiful though.

George Orwell spent a lengthy period in a sanatorium in East Kilbride, prior to hospitalisation in London. This is Old Etonian Orwell's comment on being exposed to upper-class English accents again after a couple of years of the mellifluous tones of the West of Scotland:
"It is as though I were hearing these voices for the first time. And what voices! A sort of over-fedness, a fatuous self-confidence, a constant bah-bahing of laughter abt nothing, above all a sort of heaviness & richness combined with a fundamental ill-will -- people who, one instinctively feels, without even being able to see them, are the enemies of anything intelligent or sensitive or beautiful. No wonder everyone hates us so."
Orwell having his personal Two Minute Hate there.

24 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Everyone in Dublin sounds like a drug dealing scumbag (think Anthony Stokes). Everyone in Belfast and most of the North sounds like a terrorist. The rest of the Irish accents are beautiful though.

North Dublin maybe, Stokes' accent isn't too bad, Willo Flood has da real Dublin schemie accent

The male scouse accent is without question the worst accent in the world. And I'd love to meet the dickhead who allowed them to commentate on Sky and BT. 

The female scouse accent may well be one of the sexiest ones though. 

Go figure. 

6 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I spent the weekend in Newcastle/Gateshead once and literally could not understand a fucking word that was being said to me. "I'm sorry, could you repeat that?" only works so many times before people assume you're mentally incompetent. One of the most cringe-inducing experiences of my life; my skin wanted to crawl away off my body as I grinned like a moron at anything and everything said to me.

I like the sound of the accent, and everyone seemed very, very friendly, but I think I'd have a panic attack if I had to go back without an interpreter.

Geordie sounds like gooback. 

They asked me the same question in a chipper for about 10 minutes. Turns out "iwun ba'a'" means "would you like bits of old batter out of the fryer scattered on your kebab, sir?"