Accent prejudice

I'm having to take part in quite a lot of conference calls involving people from all over the UK.

I'm hearing a lot of people who speak with really lame bland middle-England accents, and they just get on my fucking nerves - I've noticed this before, tbf, and it doesn't help when they're predominantly using middle-management speak. :angry:

The other thing I'm noticing is that anyone speaking in an Irish accent sounds brash and quite aggressive.

Is anyone a mad intolerant racist like me? Do you find certain accents annoying? Could you give a f**k either way?

Most English accents are bland and shite, Birmingham being then worst. Yorkshire is the only one I find quite endearing but almost all of the south half of England are awful.

I like the weegie/west coast accent and it’s a nice change compared to most Edinburgh accent I hear which are either too chavy or too posh. Fife/Dundee I like and then Aberdeen and all of Moray as far as Inverness can get in the bin. The rest of the highlands outside of Inverness is all food. 

Quite like Irish accents although their people are quite a dodgey bunch, don’t like the Welsh much either and I’m pretty sure they are just putting on a funny voice for the sake of it.

If I hear an Indian type accent at least I know the c**t is reading of a script.

in real business life most germans trying to speak in English sound angry. To be fair I may have given them reason.

I can't stand the English* accents which miss out letters. Not the stuttering ones, about cups of tea and where the word 'the' is an obstacle, more the ones which pronounce 'water' like 'wawtah'. This is particularly frustrating on Richard Osman's House of Games, where you're trying to form two rhyming couplets, but you can only get them if you have a stupid fucking accent.

*you can stop reading

Worst English Accents
Birmingham
Cockney *
Scouse
Darn Sarf in general
Manchester

* Special mention because so many of them think it's a brilliant accent. At least most Brummies accept that they sound like morons.

2 minutes ago, Smurph said:

I can't stand the English* accents which miss out letters. Not the stuttering ones, about cups of tea and where the word 'the' is an obstacle, more the ones which pronounce 'water' like 'wawtah'. This is particularly frustrating on Richard Osman's House of Games, where you're trying to form two rhyming couplets, but you can only get them if you have a stupid fucking accent.

*you can stop reading

If an accent rhymes "are" with "our" you can immediately stop listening. 

You can't just say Irish accents, the differences between a staunch Belfast and a melodic Southern lilt are huge.

I have a very middle of the road accent.  I'm from Inverness but neither of my parents are from there so I don't have a full twangy rubber bumpers accent.  I've lived in Edinburgh for 15 years but I don't think I'm pure ken eh eh.  I just have a middle of the road Scottish accent.  I make a concious decision to try and speak relatively slowly as Scottish accents have a tendency to go faster and faster for some reason so I do speak like that a bit, espeically at work.

I work with English colleagues, mostly based in London and they are all a bit generic.  Some of the young 'uns do that slangy, speaking out the side of their mouth thing which just fucking annoys me.  

I don't mind my Indian colleagues, I find they speak pretty well.  Germans have great accents, always very clear.  

1 minute ago, Smurph said:

*you can stop reading

I've wondered for years how to spell Amma Assante (see below). A film show would mention her all the time in their accents it could have been:

Amar Assante

Ama Rassante

Amar Rassante

Amma-Asante-main-WEB-660x400.jpg

I think It greatly depends which gender is talking.

I spent some time working in South Wales and the Cork area of Ireland and I find these accents quite sexy in a woman whereas the men sound like comedy characters.

Conversely I find really broad scouse, Weegie and Belfast are bearable in men but come across fucking awful in women