Players out of contract

I was looking at the number of players out of contract this season (mostly end of May, some end of June) and was surprised at the gap between both ends of the spectrum.  On the face of it you would think, that in terms of clubs surviving, their current wage bill could drop significantly BUT they then face a potential difficulty in recruiting players for a new season.

What do you think of your clubs situation compared to other teams?

Team                    Squad           Out of Contract

Kilmarnock          22                      17

Hamilton              25                       19

Motherwell         24                      13

Ross County      24                       13

St Mirren             25                      13

St Johnstone     23                       11

Livingston           26                      10    

Hibernian            24                      07

Celtic                     31                       07

Rangers                27                       06

Aberdeen            23                       02

1 hour ago, runner said:

Kilmarnock board confirmed today that they have 11 signed and talking to 5 others about re-signing. No goalkeeper yet.

still talking to Jamie MacDonald thou 😪

For all the pelters he gets, Halliday would be a very decent pick-up for a club in the mid-lower reaches of the league.

I thought he was about 33 though. Can't wrap my head around him being only 28! He's been about since the late 2000s.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For all the pelters he gets, Halliday would be a very decent pick-up for a club in the mid-lower reaches of the league.

I thought he was about 33 though. Can't wrap my head around him being only 28! He's been about since the late 2000s.

Think how many cards he got whilst playing for them, then add in the non-OF factor: he’d never be on the pitch!

We seem sorted in that the players who are being released have been told and those who are being offered deals seem to have their offers. Nothing official from the club yet though.

Released - Max Johnstone, Steven Anderson, Ross Callachan, Danny Swanson, David McMillan

Loans ended - Anthony Ralston, Jason Holt, Matt Butcher, Izzy Jones

Offered new deals - Callum Booth, Drey Wright, Murray Davidson, Liam Craig, Chris Kane

As always, there's various youngsters who we'll only know about if they say something on social media or when they turn up at pre-season training, whenever that may be.

20 hours ago, The_Judge said:

I was looking at the number of players out of contract this season (mostly end of May, some end of June) and was surprised at the gap between both ends of the spectrum.  On the face of it you would think, that in terms of clubs surviving, their current wage bill could drop significantly BUT they then face a potential difficulty in recruiting players for a new season.

What do you think of your clubs situation compared to other teams?

Team                    Squad           Out of Contract

Kilmarnock          22                      17

Hamilton              25                       19

Motherwell         24                      13

Ross County      24                       13

St Mirren             25                      13

St Johnstone     23                       11

Livingston           26                      10    

Hibernian            24                      07

Celtic                     31                       07

Rangers                27                       06

Aberdeen            23                       02

Delighted.

Robinson's made some comments about where we are in the press today. Seem like we'll be stripping back the first team squad from the 23 first team players on the books just now to 15-16 with 7 or 8 being promoted from the Reserves/Academy.

“I believe we have six or seven younger boys who are maybe a year away from establishing themselves. Some surprise you, some come quicker, but we have offered contracts to six or seven boys around 18-19 years of age who will be the back-up to the squad.

“I think a lot of clubs will have to run with smaller squads made up of younger players. We have always done that.

“The boys will be the back-up to the 15-16 first-team players that we will be able to run with.”

We had a ton of players out of contract anyway but has still left us with a decent core and I think there are plenty Motherwell fans who'd be keen to see a bit more of folk like Jamie Semple and Dean Cornelius.

Contracted: Carson, Carroll, Grimshaw, Mugabi, Gallagher, Campbell, Turnbull, Polworth, Donnelly, Seedorf, Hylton, Devine, Semple, Cornelius, MacIver

Out of contract/loans expiring: Ferguson, Gillespie, Tait, Hartley, Dunne, Livingstone, Maguire, O'Hara, Watt, Long, Manzinga, Ilic, Aarons, Ndjoli

Of the 14 out of contract/loan ending 6 would be considered regular first team starters (Gillespie, Hartley, O'Hara, Watt, Long, Aarons). Tait's been used as back-up/cover for Grimshaw and Carroll. Dunne's missed virtually the entire season through injury. Ferguson's been on a season loan to Linfield and Livingstone was loaned out to Morton then Clyde.

I'd imagine we might offer deals to a couple of those whose contracts expire but we haven't officially updated the squad list yet although Robinson's confirmed Manzinga's away and Rohan Ferguson apparently said his goodbyes via his socials.

Edited by capt_oats

21 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

oft