LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

Stanger strolled through games at central defence in the reserves/under 20's  but was terrible any time he played right back/right wing back.

I agree, but he's played at RB in I think every friendly this season and I'd be surprised if we brought in a backup. We just need to hope that Odoffin's good and/or stays fit.

19 hours ago, accies1874 said:
On 01/08/2020 at 01:02, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:
Stanger strolled through games at central defence in the reserves/under 20's  but was terrible any time he played right back/right wing back.

I agree, but he's played at RB in I think every friendly this season and I'd be surprised if we brought in a backup. We just need to hope that Odoffin's good and/or stays fit.

A wee thought here.Perhaps we could try him out in bounce/reserve games as a defensive midfielder and see  how he does  as he probably won't be first choice at right back/central defence.

This would give us an option  when Martin/Collar or both are unavailable.Gogic ended up covering three positions and Stanger despite not being as physical can pass the ball better.

1 hour ago, cdisaaccie said:

Shaun Want & Scott Martin extend their deals until end of 22/23 season.

That is good news as is OFW going back to Dunfermline which has now been confirmed.

Hopefully we can get an half decent cb in on loan from down south and get the defence sorted because we definitely have goals in us. Also solid in midfield although although suspensions will take there toll soon enough. Hopefully Easton,Temps and Collar get back sooner rather than later . I really rate Winter reckon he will be the next thing at Accies just hooe they dont end up doing a Ferguson and getting buttons for him.

Where did all this Ziggy Gordon chat come from? I saw a post on WAH last night that was obviously a misunderstanding but this morning there was a Lanarkshire Live article "playing down" the rumours (what fucking rumours?) and posts from the two of you?

I'm confused.

Where did all this Ziggy Gordon chat come from? I saw a post on WAH last night that was obviously a misunderstanding but this morning there was a Lanarkshire Live article "playing down" the rumours (what fucking rumours?) and posts from the two of you?

I'm confused.

That particular member on WAH is a bit special. I’m just going off the ham ad article.

Moyo signs another extension, this time to 2023.

He goes between looking unplayable and not looking like a footballer, but I still think this is decent news. He also looked good against Celtic so is hopefully gonna kick on this season.

I agree. I won't be paying another £15 to watch that. Rather listen too sportsound and thats saying something. Thought the commentators were aweful also.

2 or 3 experienced players needed to stay up. 

Moyo signs another extension, this time to 2023.

He goes between looking unplayable and not looking like a footballer, but I still think this is decent news. He also looked good against Celtic so is hopefully gonna kick on this season.

Missed this, I’d file him under the shite category. Would not get in any other teams squad, wouldn’t get a game for most championship sides. Only on the books because he can jump 12ft in the air which fits rices hoof ball game.

Well done to those involved at Accies for a very respectable TV debut. Ok the commentary wasn't great but to put that level of production together from scratch in little over a month deserves some praise.

Unfortunately that's about the only positive as the football was beyond poor. Last week Rice was spared scrutiny over a ludicrously open game plan at Parkhead by a media fawning over Eduard and a very low level of expectation and this week once again Rice got just about everything wrong - Poor selection, poor tactical HT sub that actually made us poorer, far too late making subs etc... The worse part however, was the sole tactic of punting the ball to Moyo in the hope he could get a few knock ons.  A full pre-season, 6 days from our last game and the best we can do is long ball after long ball to Moyo and when it was clear it wasn't working there was no plan B they continued to punt the ball to Moyo.

I think there is some talent in the squad with rarely for Accies a number of attacking options and a bit of pace (which makes the constant long ball to Moyo even more frustrating) but Rice has built what appears to be a badly imbalanced squad. Short of a quality keeper, no cover in either full back position, 6 centre backs where the only one without a big question mark against them is injured and will probably remain so on and off for most of the season and a central midfield which misses any ball player - Scott Martin is a Premier league athlete but is a 2nd Divsion footballer and so far Callachan hasn't shown to be much better.

It's early days but big improvements are needed if this isn't to be the season!

AcciesTV's non-match stuff was fine. Didn't overcomplicate it.

My issue was solely with the commentary; I think you've either got to go with at least one person with experience in commentary or get a couple of fans to do it. Accies did neither which just sort of made it feel like two guys watching whatever game happened to be on in the pub. The main commentator also kept on talking over the other and over-describing the action (it's not radio) while the co-commentator was there just because everyone has two commentators. As I said in the match thread, I turned them off pretty quickly.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll improve over time* and everything else in your post is much more important and worth talking about.

* I may not actually be sure of this

It's interesting that Rice chose C. Smith (who was doing OK) to come off to "bolster" the midfield rather than Winter (who didn't really get a kick). Wonder if the reserve would've happened if Smith was an academy player and Winter wasn't.

It's interesting that Rice chose C. Smith (who was doing OK) to come off to "bolster" the midfield rather than Winter (who didn't really get a kick). Wonder if the reserve would've happened if Smith was an academy player and Winter wasn't.
Short answer to that is no.

Was busy at 3pm so watched the full game on Alba at 6pm & I'd have felt robbed if I'd paid £15 for that pish.

Without major improvement & incoming players in key positions (GK, CB & CM) better than what we already have then we will be going down this time.