LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

Did you watch McMann last night. One of the worst ever to play for us and I still can't believe he took a short corner and lost possession with less than 5 mins to go when we had 7 or 8 in the box .
I thought he was awful for years but has stepped it up in the last couple of seasons. He'll still have the odd game/moment where he forgets how to function but they've become the exceptions.

For one corner (not the one you're talking about), you could hear Rice shouting 2 v 1 so I did wonder if short corners were an instruction.

36 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Did you watch McMann last night. One of the worst ever to play for us and I still can't believe he took a short corner and lost possession with less than 5 mins to go when we had 7 or 8 in the box .

That's an astonishing take that you can watch last night's game and then single out Scott McMann exclusively for criticism - the player that won the free kick, scored the free kick and generally for 75 minutes was the only player willing or brave enough to take a man on or try something different. Even for the short corner you refer to it wasn't even McMann who gave the ball away. McMann for the last dozen games has been Accies heart beat and just about everything positive has come from him. I hope I'm wrong but I expect he'll be playing a higher level than we are next season.

Anyway what a disappointment, not so much the relegation but the way we finally down with a whimper. Last night was our season in a microcosm - a manager who has been negative from game 2 and let large swathes of the season drift by playing for goalless draws playing the worst anti-football the top flight of Scottish football has seen. Last night was a must win game but you wouldn't have known it. 2 game changers left on the bench for far too long even when it had been clear from 50 minutes that we had lost all initiative. Even after losing the 2nd goal Rice let the game drift for another 5 minutes then emptying his bench in stages.

I don't share all the negativity about next season as I remember the same comments about falling down the leagues last time we were relegated, however another season of Rice does give me the fear.

I don't think anyone will spend money on McMann this summer but he'd be a decent acquisition for every bottom six side.

I recently had a look at past sales for relegated teams but couldn't really take a stab at what Hamilton will go for. Hickey last summer was closest in profile (year left on his contract, similar number of games, teenager, COVID) but he's a couple of years younger than Hamilton, was at a bigger club on better wages and is a better prospect. Pretty much everyone else (H. Souttar, J. McGinn, J. Naismith) went for around £200k but were either out of contract or not as good. Relegation might have knocked £300k-£500k off whatever fee we might have got, sadly, so here's hoping Steve Clarke sticks with the back three and we get mega bucks when Hamilton gets to Euro 2024.

33 minutes ago, yummy fur said:

That's an astonishing take that you can watch last night's game and then single out Scott McMann exclusively for criticism - the player that won the free kick, scored the free kick and generally for 75 minutes was the only player willing or brave enough to take a man on or try something different. Even for the short corner you refer to it wasn't even McMann who gave the ball away. McMann for the last dozen games has been Accies heart beat and just about everything positive has come from him. I hope I'm wrong but I expect he'll be playing a higher level than we are next season.

Anyway what a disappointment, not so much the relegation but the way we finally down with a whimper. Last night was our season in a microcosm - a manager who has been negative from game 2 and let large swathes of the season drift by playing for goalless draws playing the worst anti-football the top flight of Scottish football has seen. Last night was a must win game but you wouldn't have known it. 2 game changers left on the bench for far too long even when it had been clear from 50 minutes that we had lost all initiative. Even after losing the 2nd goal Rice let the game drift for another 5 minutes then emptying his bench in stages.

I don't share all the negativity about next season as I remember the same comments about falling down the leagues last time we were relegated, however another season of Rice does give me the fear.

I only mentioned McMann as Accies1874 had mentioned him in the previous post.

I think the lad is awful but I absolutely do not single him out for last night. Hamilton did well and Martin, Easton and Odoffin were Ok but I thought the rest were poor.

Strange that heading into such an important game Rice would suddenly decide that Hodson would be our corner taker instead of Callachan.

I also think McMann will be away in the summer, probably to a "bottom six" Premiership team but it wouldn't surprise me if he headed down south to League One, although maybe the new Preston boss could be interested. He'd be a decent squad player if nothing else.

Rice really is a deluded man if he thought we were excellent last night. And it looks like we're stuck with him. Any normal club would have sacked him after Stranraer, if not Annan before then. Remember that bizarre decision at home to St Johnstone, around 83 minutes, we were 1-0 up and he changed the defence for seemingly no good reason and we lost a goal on 87 and ended up with just a point. So many strange decisions, worse than even Canning. At least the fans might enjoy the away days next season because I have a horrible feeling it could be a season of struggle.

Edited by Owsley

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

That interview pissed me off tbh. Mainly the part where he talks about finances and not getting fans in the ground. The club chose not to sell season tickets, I didn’t pay for many games at all because what was the point in watching that turgid pish, but if the club had sold a ‘virtual’ season ticket at the start of the season I’d have paid whatever they charged for it.

and he talks about clubs losing a million pounds. Mate this club literally gave just shy of a million pounds to the Nigerian guy from phonejacker a couple of years ago.

Just makes it so obvious the club had accepted relegation before a ball was kicked this season.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

He's not mentioned in that article? Reads to me that he's pretty much announcing your released list.

Interview with Rice recently stated he had another year on his contract. So must have signed a 2 year deal on signing.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

Welcome back lads, you had a good run. I see the Tap Room is the Peacock & Ivy now, is it still the same sort of pub? Sounds wanky as f**k so I should fit right in. 

Genuinely missed Accies as an away day, close proximity to me and always seems to be a bit of needle. 

7 hours ago, thistledo said:

Welcome back lads, you had a good run. I see the Tap Room is the Peacock & Ivy now, is it still the same sort of pub? Sounds wanky as f**k so I should fit right in. 

Genuinely missed Accies as an away day, close proximity to me and always seems to be a bit of needle. 

I still call it the Peacock because that was always it's name until a pointless rebranding effort. Last time I was in it hadn't changed. 

Looking forward to the away trips to Firhill, maybe catch a vegan burger on Byres Rd and some experimental avant garde theatre post match (assuming watching  Brian Rice in the dugout hasn't sated my appetite for surrealist performance art).

1 minute ago, Academically Deficient said:

I still call it the Peacock because that was always it's name until a pointless rebranding effort. Last time I was in it hadn't changed. 

^^^THIS^^^

1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:

........... looking forward to the away trips to Firhill, maybe catch a vegan burger on Byres Rd and some experimental avant garde theatre post match (assuming watching  Brian Rice in the dugout hasn't sated my appetite for surrealist performance art).

Quality post AD, quality post - your talent's wasted! 👍

4 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Looking forward to the away trips to Firhill, maybe catch a vegan burger on Byres Rd and some experimental avant garde theatre post match (assuming watching  Brian Rice in the dugout hasn't sated my appetite for surrealist performance art).

4 hours ago, G51 Red said:

^^^THIS^^^

You two old farts probably still say you are going for a pint in the Silver Tassie aswell 😴

6 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

You two old farts probably still say you are going for a pint in the Silver Tassie aswell 😴

I do, cant even remember it's new name. The Tight Jeans and Man Bun? Something like that. 

I can remember when you could do a pub crawl on Almada St. 

God I'm old......

10 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

I do, cant even remember it's new name. The Tight Jeans and Man Bun? Something like that. 

I can remember when you could do a pub crawl on Almada St. 

God I'm old......

Sorry to jump into your thread but that brought back some great pub crawl memories.

An I right in saying that one of the first KFC's ever opened in Scotland was in Almada St at that time as well. Remember ending up in some kind of chicken shop every Friday night.

Edited by santheman