LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

Deals have fallen through for an English Championship midfielder and League One striker due to COVID restrictions. Really frustrating but nothing you can do about it.

If we're shopping in England, do we just go for people without families or players whose families are up here? Or do we just try and get folk from the Scottish leagues? It's gonna be tough either way.

Accies love making up excuses, this is one of their best.

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Deals have fallen through for an English Championship midfielder and League One striker due to COVID restrictions. Really frustrating but nothing you can do about it.

If we're shopping in England, do we just go for people without families or players whose families are up here? Or do we just try and get folk from the Scottish leagues? It's gonna be tough either way.

Send the scouts to orphanages would be the best option if this is the case.

I believe them. It'll be difficult to get folk to come here with no chance of seeing their families in person for at least a couple of months.

Our biggest priorities, IMO, are a goalkeeper, new wing-backs and probably a midfielder*. It seems we're after a striker, midfielder and perhaps a goalkeeper, judging by the failed signings + some guy we were linked to a while ago.

*Martin-Odoffin are a decent partnership for how we're playing but we don't have someone who'll actually complete above half of their passes. I thought Collar (remember him?) would solve some issues but he's been really poor when he's actually made an appearance (he must have fewer than five), and I've been holding out hope for Mimnaugh for a couple of years now but he's really struggled in most of his appearances - very flustered in possession.

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Templeton, Lewis Smith and Will Collar all out for the rest of the season according to Rice.

Stating the obvious, but that really doesn't do our slim hopes of staying up any good.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

That's a disaster. There's an element of bad luck with injuries and Temps always gets injured but surely there's something going wrong with our injury record this season?

Pitch IMO Ive never seen a good game played on one.

Aaron Martin available for Saturday which is a bonus. Clubs tweets today suggesting that after being in contact with someone who tested positive it took Test and Protect 5 days to contact him to tell him to self isolate !!

Aaron Martin available for Saturday which is a bonus. Clubs tweets today suggesting that after being in contact with someone who tested positive it took Test and Protect 5 days to contact him to tell him to self isolate !!
Easton back for this game too, but he'll end up out for three months by the end of January.
What do we make of the total lack of communication from the boardroom? Apart from the charity king, there has not been any sort of comment from Maitland/ McDonald/Gray in months. Should we be worried?
No communication is pretty much a given with Accies, isn't it?

A virtual fans forum/Q&A would be good at some point this season considering how many questions we'll have about matters on and off the pitch. This should've been done last summer but so many questions are still pertinent. I could come up with 10 right now off the top of my head.

7 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Celtic without a win in 2021. Accies to the rescue! emoji3104.png

*generic radio ad voiceover actor*

"Does your club need some bounce?

Been on a run of poor results?

Manager completely lost his marbles?

Well...welcome to Douglas Park, the one stop shop for all your season reignition needs!"

*really fast t&cs readthrough*

No conditions apply, payments to Nigerian Prince only.

Just a wee note to let The Accies Family know John (Jock) Neilson aka Wee Jack from The Accies Vaults has passed away at the age of 98.

Wee Jack lived near me in The Hamilton West area and was a regular attender until a few years ago.He loved a chinwag  about The Accies as well as his "half and hawf".

Rip,wee legend of a guy from a near neighbour and the rest of us I am sure.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I see George Oakley is training with Killie and they are considering signing him.

Would love to to see the big handsome b*****d back with us.

Think he was severely underrated by the majority of our fans.

Whats Accies fans thoughts on him, I remember him scoring in your 2-0 win under Alessio but not much else? 

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

I'd describe him as a hard working pest.

Will run all day. Not the most technical footballer/finisher (although he scored a Van Basten type volley against Aberdeen at Pittodrie).

I just checked his record and he scored 8 goals in 36 apps. for us. Doesn't sound impressive but playing up front for us is a hard, thankless task.

I'd take him in a heartbeat over all our strikers apart from Ogkmpoe.

Cheers 

Other than work rate, which was good, Oakley was our second best striker at everything: not as good a finisher or footballer as Davies, not as good a target man as Ogkmpoe, not as good in the air as Moyo. He could do a bit of everything but didn't excel at anything, which made him a really frustrating player - that and his propensity for giving away obvious and stupid fouls.

I accept that we're now unlikely to do any better, but I'd have been disappointed if you said in the summer that we'd be wanting him back.

17 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'd describe him as a hard working pest.

Will run all day. Not the most technical footballer/finisher (although he scored a Van Basten type volley against Aberdeen at Pittodrie).

I just checked his record and he scored 8 goals in 36 apps. for us. Doesn't sound impressive but playing up front for us is a hard, thankless task.

I'd take him in a heartbeat over all our strikers apart from Ogkmpoe.

To be fair,  it was a half volley. Two vital goals at Tynecastle too, I'd happily see him back.

More fake news from the club probably, we apparently were trying to bring Oakley back but he chose Kilmarnock. If you were really that determined to keep him why not just give him the money he wanted for another year on his contract in the summer?

Unless something magically appears (like Temps last year), I'm now of the opinion that anyone we get in would be a waste of a wage, especially considering we're going for a striker. Feels like it'll be a signing for the sake of a signing.

Unless it's Billy Gilmour.