LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

This interview, published 26 days before Canning left, isn't dissimilar:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hamilton-chairman-allan-maitland-wield-13806614.amp

His backing is definitely more explicit in the one you've linked, though, and makes me a lot less sure that he'll be punted soon. I do think Rice looks like he's done, but why would you walk away from a nicely paid job?

I've got some sympathy with Maitland and the Accies board as I don't doubt they are working very hard to keep the club afloat at the moment. I think that all football fans can be unrealistic and 3 or 4 experienced signings at a time when no money is coming into the club just isn't going to happen. I'd also say the board has been more than fair not selling season tickets and offering matches on a pay per game basis, it's probably backfired and at a guess I'd suggest they are losing money every home game (I reckon not much more than £1500 per game income / £15 x 100 Pay per views) by the time you pay subscriptions, commentators fees etc....

So I can understand why he is frustrated but surely he is also frustrated when he sees a manager / coach who still has no idea about his preferred formation, a manager who signed Tunde  (for a fee) and Johnson after having them on trial for a month but has now clearly decided neither is good enough, a manager who moaned about Clydebank playing Kyle Munro on the left wing rather at left back only for a few weeks later to start him in right mid (I don't mind Rice trying things but do it in the cup games not in a vital league game), a manager who didn't give Ronan Hughes a minute of game time against Ayr or Annan but decided he was first change after 30 minutes in a vital league game, a manager who has overseen a dramatic decline in form of too many players (Oggy & McMann being the stand outs), a manager who keeps making the same mistake with 2 strikers and wondering why the results aren't getting better and finally a manager who simply isn't developing our young players which we are told is a big part of his job.

Rice is failing on the absolute basics and surely Maitland sees that.

Edited by yummy fur

by the time you pay subscriptions, commentators fees etc....

If we are paying Marcus’ pal Bobby and that stupid Hearts c**t anything more than a half-time pie per game for their ‘great services and wonderful insight’ everyone at the club should be emptied.

1 hour ago, yummy fur said:

Rice is failing on the absolute basics and surely Maitland sees that.

Maybe he does see it but if finances are as dire as you suggest, perhaps Accies can't afford to pay him off.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Temps out for more than three months. We are absolutely fucked.

Rice mentioned in his interview that he's spoke to the board about bringing more players  in..and will do again, however mentioned budgets etc. 
I don't see at this point and under these circumstances, anyone of a decent level being signed by us in the immediate future. 

Low wage, max 12 month contract *unless you're academy or temps* , low attendance, low chance of survival, club where the majority of fans have had enough of the seemingly under-qualified manager *again* = Not an attractive prospect for most professionals.

Apparently his contract runs out in January although we will be down by then if he stays in all likelihood.
Was it not a two and a half year deal he signed back in January 2019? I'm sure the Advertiser quoted this just after Rice was announced as head coach

• 2 weeks later...

Trafford out for three months, Hughes for a couple of weeks and Hamilton definitely out of the Rangers game but Rice doesn't know a time period for him. Also no signings until January which isn't really surprising.

None of them are huge misses but Hughes was Temps' backup in the last couple of games and Hamilton's development is annoyingly stop/start.