LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

On 29/06/2020 at 19:43, Academically Deficient said:

When was the last time Accies signed someone the fans were excited by? Even with Templeton it was a case of "he must be finished if he's joining us". I dunno...George McLuskey? That Brazilian medical student who scammed his way into a pre-season friendly??

My money's on Olek, Szgula and Strazlkowski.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

My money's on Olek, Szgula and Strazlkowski.

I remember the rumour that Jan Tomaszevki, the heroic Scottish...sorry ..Polish keeper was joining due to Mr Stepek's contacts behind the Iron Curtain.

It never occurred to idiots like me that the Polish Communist Party were unlikely to accommodate an expatriate tv salesman ( hire purchase or rental. Generous terms!)

I'm jumping to conclusions here but this sounds like we've got a defender on trial:20200725_143321.thumb.jpeg.7fe54449ec0380c3d6bdc97cec1caad2.jpeg

ETA: From pictures and videos on Twitter, I've seen 10 of our players. The only position that's missing is right-back.

For what it's worth, it seems we're lining up:

Fulton

Trialist Hamilton Want McMann

Smith Callachan Martin Cunningham

Moyo Winter

Tunde Owolabi signs from FC United of Manchester after being on trial since the Rangers game.

35 goals in the Northern Premier League, where he was PotY, and his old fans seemingly love him.

Assuming Rice is planning on playing with two strikers, you'd imagine Ogkmpoe and Temps (when fit) will be first choice unless he goes with a diamond in which case Temps will be the 10. I suppose the question is whether Tunde's ahead of Moyo in the pecking order or not.

Meh a position we didn’t really need tbh. I’d have been happy enough with Winter being 3rd/4th choice striker.

Suppose it’s always worth taking a punt on guys like this given they’ll be eager for a chance and be on cheap wages. Just the question of whether we’ve found another Mickel Miller or if he’ll be Alex Penny level.

Well we went from 5 strikers to 3 after Oakley & Davies left.

Winter isn't ready for this level, should go out on loan to a Champ/League 1 club & is more of a winger in a Templeton mould than a striker IMO.

Going with just Ogkmpoe & Moyo wasn't an option as injuries & suspensions are always possible so we were always going to bring in another striker.

Owolabi has a very decent record albeit at a non-league level down south but so did Miller.
That folk down south are saying he was too good for level FCUofM play at is a decent sign he could be a good pickup, and a guy who looks like he wants to take his chance at FT football.

Good news: 'keeper on trial.

Bad news: if he's signed, it'll be as third-choice (IMO).

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/son-celtic-hero-jonathan-gould-22441013.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Having a look at some Spennymoor highlights, he seems quite flappy and has dodgy positioning and footwork (especially with shots from outside the box).

Tunde does look different to what we've got (again, from highlights). He's quick and appears to want to run behind a lot, which worked when up against some awful high lines and bad midfields and he'll obviously not get as many opportunities to do so with us. He'll need to adapt his runs beyond straight lines and in behind rubbish full-backs and his movement's pretty uninspired - these things can be worked on though. He also seemed to cut inside really easily for FCUM and got away with fouls he wouldn't get away with up here, but was capable of either shooting when pushed away from goal or laying off a pass to a midfielder. Some of his finishes are really decent and his close control and balance mostly seem good too.

His game seems quite suited to playing on the left of a front two in a diamond provided he's happy stretching CBs and linking with McMann which I've not seen him do, albeit that's in a really limited amount of time.

Thoughts on the squad numbers not that they mean much.

• No number 1 must mean a keeper coming in. We could be planning to go with Fulton until Reading see how they are player-wise next month when they start back, in the hope of getting Southwood back on loan. Or the experienced former player we heard about last month and have heard nothing since could be Remi Matthews but you'd imagine he'd have been training with us already like the other signings.
  • Good to see Mimnaugh get more of a first team number so must be due to feature more this season.
  • Bad to see Stanger get more of a first team number so must be due to feature more this season after 2 pish loan spells
  • No 26 - 30? Then jumps to 31. Could be for any new signings but no chance we will sign 4 more, but 4 players listed as u18s without squad numbers.
  • Very inexperienced squad and I fear for us this season.
Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

I'd imagine that ex-player deal has collapsed by now. Right now, I think Fulton will he number 1 until at least January, but the extended window might throw up a surprise. Considering the numbers are the same as they were through pre-season, OFW was probably given 1 before the Dunfermline move was on and it'll remain vacant for the time being (or given to Gould if he signs).

I hope everything in this post is wrong though.