LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

Trafford looks very average in the Championship. He’s really slow and gives away a lot of fouls too. Was pretty happy when he didn’t extend his contract.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

You guys have signed Trafford after he left us under freedom of contract.

Unlucky.

Absolutely lovely fella.  Pound store version of Ross Draper.  Very, very surprised he’s found a club at this level.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

I'd wager he'll be better for you than Alston. He strikes me as too similar to Martin? As in energetic and runs about, throwing himself into tackles, but generally lacks ability and tactical thought.

^^ this. I’m shocked Callachan has been picked up by another top flight club to be honest. The same people that loved Paul Paton loved Ross callachan. 

I'd wager he'll be better for you than Alston. He strikes me as too similar to Martin? As in energetic and runs about, throwing himself into tackles, but generally lacks ability and tactical thought.

Probably does sum Martin up although Rice did play him further up the pitch a few times last season so that could be the plan going forward, I hope not.

Hopefully he can do the opposite of Alston who I was happy we picked up but turned out to be shite.

Trafford isn't a signing to get excited about. Wasnt even a regular starter with us last season. If all our central midfield were fit Trafford would not start. Gives away a lot of silly fouls and always looks slow and lethargic. Really surprised he's got a move to the Premier League. 

46 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Probably does sum Martin up although Rice did play him further up the pitch a few times last season so that could be the plan going forward, I hope not.

Hopefully he can do the opposite of Alston who I was happy we picked up but turned out to be shite.

Alson had more natural ability but was far too inconsistent - didn't do enough in games to justify a start the majority of the time.

RIG said Callachan is a football manager 10 at everthing kind of player. which is probably about right. Only differencs, If we're using that parlance, I'd give him 20 for determination and energy, 1 for positioning and one of his traits would be 'tends to dive into tackles'. He wasn't so bad in a 3 man central midfield but he was very unreliable in a 2. He'd either dive into a tackle, be out of position because he's chasing the ball or forget to track his man back the vast majority of the time. I don't think he offers enough going forward to justify that either. If I had to take either Alston or Callachan, I'd probably go with Alston personally.

Edited by Kyle

^^ this. I’m shocked Callachan has been picked up by another top flight club to be honest. The same people that loved Paul Paton loved Ross callachan. 

Trafford isn't a signing to get excited about. Wasnt even a regular starter with us last season. If all our central midfield were fit Trafford would not start. Gives away a lot of silly fouls and always looks slow and lethargic. Really surprised he's got a move to the Premier League.

This is reassuring.

I reckon we need a goalkeeper (which I'm not sure we'll get considering we already have three first-team ones), at least one right-back, a centre-back and a winger. I'd also quite like another left-back, but as with CB we'll probably be shopping in a bad market to find backups.

Callachan will be fine for you if you dont expect too much from him.

Stick him next to a holding midfielder, and beside a more creative player, and his ability to run about lots might disrupt a couple of midfields at this level.

20 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I reckon we need a goalkeeper (which I'm not sure we'll get considering we already have three first-team ones), at least one right-back, a centre-back and a winger. I'd also quite like another left-back, but as with CB we'll probably be shopping in a bad market to find backups.

Reckon we will punt OFW and get another keeper in on loan from somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see Meekings end up with us as he has worked with Rice before. With Temps, Winter the 2 Smiths  able to play wide i would be surprised if we were looking there. Right back has to be priority.

2 hours ago, Kyle said:

RIG said Callachan is a football manager 10 at everthing kind of player. which is probably about right. 

I was talking about Trafford but if the description is also accurate for Callachan I'll take it :lol: 

Edited by RiG

Reckon we will punt OFW and get another keeper in on loan from somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised to see Meekings end up with us as he has worked with Rice before. With Temps, Winter the 2 Smiths  able to play wide i would be surprised if we were looking there. Right back has to be priority.
I can't see Templeton playing there but they might be satisfied with the other three although that's risky imo. I suppose it will also depend on how Rice is planning to play.

Dundee fans don't seem too down on Meekings leaving but it does seem like a move we'd make.

There shouldn't be any doubt that we'll get a right-back... then you remember we went more than half a season without one in the 16/17 season and around half a season without one the following season. Gillespie or Lyon to return for them to get shoved there?

15 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I can't see Templeton playing there but they might be satisfied with the other three although that's risky imo. I suppose it will also depend on how Rice is planning to play.

Dundee fans don't seem too down on Meekings leaving but it does seem like a move we'd make.

There shouldn't be any doubt that we'll get a right-back... then you remember we went more than half a season without one in the 16/17 season and around half a season without one the following season. Gillespie or Lyon to return for them to get shoved there?

If Meekings gets a top flight club there's something wrong with the world.

Callachan is a terrible footballer, but a cracking all energy spoiler. A player that every team needs. Disappointed to miss out.

Ross Callachan. No first touch, can't tackle without going to ground and chases the ball around like a dog.

Can make good late runs into the box. 

Very similar to Alston in that, IMO, they aren't good enough for this level. 

Despite the fact that Hamilton fans on here seem to have hated their own club/managers (but never really the players) more than any opposing fans it’s a really incredible achievement for them to still be in the top division. I’m not quite sure how you manage to do it every season but it’s becoming less of a surprise every time.