LUCKY NUMBER 7 ~ The Hamilton Academical 2020/2021 Thread.

Where are folk getting the info on players leaving? The club website is dreadful, even worse than before. Only has features on Gourlay and Templeton plus the statement on 13 May.

Jack Breen couldn't hold down a place in a very poor Albion Rovers side, so it's probably best he tries again somewhere else.

McGowan wasn't perfect (especially defensively) but it was nice actually having a bloody right-back. We went through half of the 16/17 season (probably more than that tbh) and around half of the 17/18 season without one.

Feel bad for Rodger with McGowan and Miller both announcing their departure in the same week.

Where are folk getting the info on players leaving? The club website is dreadful, even worse than before. Only has features on Gourlay and Templeton plus the statement on 13 May.
Jack Breen couldn't hold down a place in a very poor Albion Rovers side, so it's probably best he tries again somewhere else.
McGowan and Miller have posted "statements" on social media. Lanarkshire Live (the Advertiser's online rebrand) has confirmed all the players who are staying which is as good as the club saying it in terms of validity. You'd imagine we'll be getting confirmation from the club soon. This time of the year usually has a load of guesswork regarding who's staying and who's going because the club are so secretive with contract lengths for some reason.

Gogic & Oakley both put statements out confirming they are gone also.

Where's that 14 team reconstruction thread - we're gonna need it at this rate.

McGowan cutting the 1st team budget big time so he can keep his charities at same level of funding? [emoji848]

5 minutes ago, cdisaaccie said:

McGowan cutting the 1st team budget big time so he can keep his charities at same level of funding? emoji848.png

We will get another 3 or 4 in when the financial position is finalised for next season.

McGowan cutting the 1st team budget big time so he can keep his charities at same level of funding? [emoji848]
Yeah, there's no other reason for why we'd be cutting the budget...

Yeah, there's no other reason for why we'd be cutting the budget...
Well aye obv due to C-19 the budget would be getting cut anyway.

I'm just suggesting McGowan might be willing to cut the playing budget more than necessary (suggestions AJ contract offer was on a 33% wage cut) so he doesn't need to reduce spending on his charities.

As we all know the playing side of things isn't his priority.
Or am I just being cynical?

• 2 weeks later...

Airdrie fans' thoughts on our new signing, Callum Smith (released by Dunfermline after spending last season on loan at Airdrie):

A really hard worker, and pretty consistent for a 20 year old. He was more or less an ever present for us (missed 1 game through injury) and I'd happily have him back. Never hid.
If I was looking for a downside it's probably end product, he only managed 6 goals all season - albeit largely from the right wing in a 3 rather than as a striker. Got the feeling this might have been a confidence thing. I'd say he's got the potential to play higher than League 1, but would like to see him come back and hit double figures for us before making the step up.

My heart's just sunk

Rub it in why don’t you[emoji1303]

Damn. 
Pleased for Smith, hes a hard working young player who has gotten one hell of a chance, top flight football after being released by Dunfermline. His end product wasn't always there, but his pace, directness and relentlessness caused a lot of problems, got us up the park and harried and hassled defences and midfields into a lot of mistakes. 
Good luck to him. 

Considering Moyo, Templeton and Winter aren't really wingers and Cunningham isn't good enough, I do wonder if he's been signed as a starter.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Airdrie fans' thoughts on our new signing, Callum Smith (released by Dunfermline after spending last season on loan at Airdrie):

Considering Moyo, Templeton and Winter aren't really wingers and Cunningham isn't good enough, I do wonder if he's been signed as a starter.

1 hour ago, FuzzyBear said:

No idea what the guy is like but we now have a few options up front. Desperately need a right back, centre half and a midfielder and probably a keeper.

Copy & pasted from the Airdrie thread - "Can't argue at all with a move to the Premiership. All the best to him. Can only echo what others have said. Constantly working for the full 90 minutes, harries defenders into making mistakes, good ball carrier and a great engine who can use his pace to get by defenders. Ideal for counter-attacking football and, even though Accies won't see a lot of the ball in league games (I assume) he's the sort of player whose pressure will result in the ball being in or around the opposition's half more often than if he wasn't playing. He'll obviously be playing against a much better standard of defender in the Premiership than in League 1 but he was our best player (only player that offered any threat whatsoever) against Hearts and gave their defenders a hard time all afternoon. His finishing lets him down. He only scored 6 goals (albeit in an uncompleted season) and a player of his ability should really be scoring more but I would wager he was involved in a high percentage of our goals and he's still only 20 so has plenty of time to develop. He's went to a good club to do so. Good luck and I hope he does well. It's a deserved move and a golden opportunity for him". 

I actually think he's better upfront or in a second striker sort of position, or at least more likely to score there, but Accies might well see him as a winger or that it might be better for his development to play him out wide initially without the pressure of playing upfront for a Premiership side. 

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, RiG said:

You guys have signed Trafford after he left us under freedom of contract.

Unlucky.

No idea if he is good or bad. Seems we have also signed Ross Callachan from St Johnstone.

No idea if he is good or bad. Seems we have also signed Ross Callachan from St Johnstone.
He's the kind of guy that has 10 for everything in Football Manager. Excels at nothing. Just bang average and no more.

5 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Callachan is shite disappointed with that one. Hopefully Trafford can go on to do well.

I'd wager he'll be better for you than Alston. He strikes me as too similar to Martin? As in energetic and runs about, throwing himself into tackles, but generally lacks ability and tactical thought.

Collar and Martin will be the midfield duo with Temps ahead of them. These guys won't replace them.

Maitland says this will be the end of our midfield signings so we'll need to hope Templeton stays good and injury-free otherwise we'll have to do without a 10.