1st ever junior game memories

traffordab

Let's hear a few memories of 1st ever junior game and or cup final. 

Many 1st experience of a game was probably like myself a cup final!

Was a Johnstone burgh supporter as grew up near the town watching them win the junior cup in 1968 in the replay was very special. I was a bit to young for the cup win in 1964 having to listen to most of the family go on about it made me very jealous indeed.

Thankfully i didn't have long to wait for my own moment! 

Supported the club up till the late 90s and the golden period around that time.

Missed out on the final in 2000 as was working in america for a time. 

Now a floating west junior supporter nowadays but like to venture to keanie park a fair bit for a game and some nostalgia! 

On the theme of cup finals I've been to every scottish junior cup final the last 15 years and even as a neutral loved the buzz of the whole day and seeing people experience what i did back in the 60s is magic ! 

Bathgate losing to Fauldhouse in a cup match,  early 1980s.  

Creamery Park in a wonderfully advanced stage of dereliction - wooden huts held together with creosote and hope - dressing room doors nailed shut after each match to keep the local neds out - and an ancient air-craft hanger shelter held together with rust.

Oh, and Bathgate centre-half Frank Rankin being sent off for almost chopping an opponent in two.

Loved it.

Lived near Kirkintilloch when a young kid and used to go past Adamslie on way to the shops but never got to go. Remember seeing the '87 final on TV. Moved away from the area completely not long after and when back in Scotland a decade or so later, though about going to Glencairn who were local to me then but again never made it, and another move across the south side I finally made decision in late '98 to wander along to a Junior game. Just by chance and as a neutral to Pollok and it was serendipity that the opponents were Rob Roy. Went again a fortnight later for visit of Lesmahagow and that was that. My mum was born less than a mile away so very much coming home!

That was the 'Andy Dailly' season so very much not glory-hunting! 😂 I am one of a few people who started following the Lok with one of their worst teams in living memory.

Edited by cmontheloknow

First Junior game was Wishaw at their old park where the fair used to be held v someone (can't remember as I was only 10 at the time) but was loving all these big hairy legged guys bootin feck out of each other having a kick about at half time which was a bit different from watching the 'Well. Also saw a bit of Cambuslang as my mother hailed from Halfway and I used to go there when I visited relatives. Married and moved to the Gow where I watched them for a few seasons in the days of Billy Harrison who is still one of the best strikers Ive seen in the game. Got involved with Larkie for a few seasons when I moved there. 

Mostly watch Motherwell these days but still enjoy watching the local Junior (or ex Junior) teams when the Well arent playing on a Saturday.

Newtongrange v Meadowbank pre-season friendly in 1987 at the old Victoria Park which had a massive stand- I thought all Junior grounds must be like that!

Sometimes me and a mate when we couldn't be arsed going to Meadowbank away games went around the local East of Scotland League and East Juniors games. The first one was something like Bonnyrigg v Camelon. I can also remember going to a Bo'ness v Lithgae game (culture shock! :lol:) and Edinburgh United.

Edited by tamthebam

12 hours ago, santheman said:

First Junior game was Wishaw at their old park where the fair used to be held v someone (can't remember as I was only 10 at the time) but was loving all these big hairy legged guys bootin feck out of each other having a kick about at half time which was a bit different from watching the 'Well. Also saw a bit of Cambuslang as my mother hailed from Halfway and I used to go there when I visited relatives. Married and moved to the Gow where I watched them for a few seasons in the days of Billy Harrison who is still one of the best strikers Ive seen in the game. Got involved with Larkie for a few seasons when I moved there. 

Mostly watch Motherwell these days but still enjoy watching the local Junior (or ex Junior) teams when the Well arent playing on a Saturday.

Interesting you have done the opposite to the average Junior fan going by my short 50 year knowledge of the game in the West. Mostly ex Old Firm but by no means all. Examples would be the ex Jambo who lives in Edinburgh who follows the Ants and ended writing a history of the club. Another chap who helped who helped run the Blackpool Rangers bus and came home to end up watching Pollok of a Saturday. Even met a Londoner who followed  West Ham home and away for decades who i see at various ex Junior grounds in Glasgow. Just a couple of the many stories from oldish WoSL fans.

My first Junior match would've been Maryhill Harp a few years before they shut up shop in 1967. Was only a wean so can't really remember much about it.

In the '70s we moved out of Glasgow. My first Cumbernauld United game would've been in '71 or '72 at the old Ravenswood ground. It was against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy on a wednesday night. A right good crowd that night, and I'm sure Rob Roy won 3-2. I think it was the Red Hackle Trophy.

14 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Camelon vs darvel December 95 junior cup third round camelon won 1-0 davie Flynn the scorer

Were you at the Largs match the following round.

I was six at the time but have some memories and it was... an interesting day.

Lok v Ashfield junior cup at Newlandsfield I think around 1975/6 with Lok losing 1-0 .They were just starting to build a powerful side and I went to every game I was allowed as a 10 year old.Didnt manage the semi final when we lost to Bo’ness which was a year I thought we would win the cup but then the glorious day arrived at Hampden in 1981 and Norrie Fulton.What a feeling!Have now followed the Lok home and away for 45 years and what a journey!The followers of the Old Firm etc just will never ever experience that.Magic-and as we move on to a new phase I’m very excited.Progression is what it’s all about.

10 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Were you at the Largs match the following round.

I was six at the time but have some memories and it was... an interesting day.

Yes I was 9 always remember the brawl on the pitch and one of them throwing a fag at the other guys face

Whitburn 0 Talbot 3 

Spring 1983,was a sprightly 13yr old and went down to Central park with a few of my friends to see the above Scottish junior cup tie.

Can remember the Cross Tavern being packed with Talbot fans as we passed by en-route to the ground.

Thankfully we stood at the front of the old changing rooms as it all kicked off in the shed during the match!!

Can remember the overwhelming smell of tobacco,Whitburn missing a penalty,Talbot's 3 goals but my overriding memory is a Talbot skinhead taking a kids golf club(a driver)out of a bag once he got into the ground !!!

Whitburn 0 Talbot 3 
Spring 1983,was a sprightly 13yr old and went down to Central park with a few of my friends to see the above Scottish junior cup tie.
Can remember the Cross Tavern being packed with Talbot fans as we passed by en-route to the ground.
Thankfully we stood at the front of the old changing rooms as it all kicked off in the shed during the match!!
Can remember the overwhelming smell of tobacco,Whitburn missing a penalty,Talbot's 3 goals but my overriding memory is a Talbot skinhead taking a kids golf club(a driver)out of a bag once he got into the ground !!!

My father in law played in that game for Talbot.
Anyway. My first memory of a junior game was at Pollok. Can’t remember who against but it would have been around 83-84. Saw the poster in Victor Visa the barber’s round the corner and asked if I could go. Me and two of my pals ran down the back of the glazier they sat where Morrison’s is now and climbed up the wall at the back of the stand. Snuck in to save the 25p entry. Spent it on a pie and sweets instead. As for the score no idea. Sammeroff was in goals that day. I remember that

Who is your father in law?

My father in law played in that game for Talbot.
Anyway. My first memory of a junior game was at Pollok. Can’t remember who against but it would have been around 83-84. Saw the poster in Victor Visa the barber’s round the corner and asked if I could go. Me and two of my pals ran down the back of the glazier they sat where Morrison’s is now and climbed up the wall at the back of the stand. Snuck in to save the 25p entry. Spent it on a pie and sweets instead. As for the score no idea. Sammeroff was in goals that day. I remember that

no wonder we can't afford toilets etc and talbot can afford floodlights

please send on the 25p forthwith or we take out a small claims action

and put up wanted posters .  lol

can't wait for the 1st wos league game thread

stay safe everyone