The Dundee United Thread 22/23

15 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I think after today we need a couple more than a couple.

So far.  One pish performance where we deservedly lost, one very good performance where we deservedly (though unexpectedly) won and one performance where we were apparently under par but still won.

Probably a sign of how our season will go.

Edited by Granny Danger

I’m guessing it’s common knowledge but this club in Belgium that Shankland has gone to is Sheffield United’s feeder club and it’s the Blades who sanctioned the deal, if he does well in Belgium he goes to Sheffield in January.

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’m guessing it’s common knowledge but this club in Belgium that Shankland has gone to is Sheffield United’s feeder club and it’s the Blades who sanctioned the deal, if he does well in Belgium he goes to Sheffield in January.

25% sell on clause. 

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

So far.  One pish performance where we deservedly lost, one very good performance where we deservedly (though unexpectedly) won and one performance where we were apparently under par but still won.

Probably a sign of how our season will go.

No chance you're winning 2/3rds of your games

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Nah, you’re probably right.  There’s one set of games I’d really like to win though.

We'll let you on condition they're the only ones you win - deal?

Seriously though, you've been pish in 2 out of the last 3 games with the 1 win being a freak against 'gers - we cuffed the other half 5-1 a few years back and still went down so I wouldn't read too much into that result.

I'd genuinely not swap places with you guys as things stand. Do you believe Courts has what it takes to keep you safe?

I recall you were not particularly keen on Mellon - would you be more optimistic with him in charge?

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We'll let you on condition they're the only ones you win - deal?

Seriously though, you've been pish in 2 out of the last 3 games with the 1 win being a freak against 'gers - we cuffed the other half 5-1 a few years back and still went down so I wouldn't read too much into that result.

I'd genuinely not swap places with you guys as things stand. Do you believe Courts has what it takes to keep you safe?

I recall you were not particularly keen on Mellon - would you be more optimistic with him in charge?

Some folk got carried away after the The Rangers game but most sensible fans know this squad is miles from capable of repeating that standard more than two or three times a season if we are lucky. A total freak result.

Taking that into account, I do not think Courts has what it takes to keep us up. Id be happy / relieved with 10th this season.

I'll keep saying it, yes the football was awful last season but that was more because the squad is shite rather than Mellon being a dud. He managed wonders to have us where we finished imo. To have some fans grumble about missing top 6 when the squad has the likes of Liam Smith, Jamie Robson, Ian Harkes and Mark Reynolds etc shows you he did a very good job.

He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a very experienced manager that got more than the sum of the parts etc. If he was still manager and added a few to the squad I'd be feeling more confident about the season and looking at a push for top 6. 

Right now I hope to f**k we just stay up.

3 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Some folk got carried away after the The Rangers game but most sensible fans know this squad is miles from capable of repeating that standard more than two or three times a season if we are lucky. A total freak result.

Taking that into account, I do not think Courts has what it takes to keep us up. Id be happy / relieved with 10th this season.

I'll keep saying it, yes the football was awful last season but that was more because the squad is shite rather than Mellon being a dud. He managed wonders to have us where we finished imo. To have some fans grumble about missing top 6 when the squad has the likes of Liam Smith, Jamie Robson, Ian Harkes and Mark Reynolds etc shows you he did a very good job.

He wasn't perfect by any means but he was a very experienced manager that got more than the sum of the parts etc. If he was still manager and added a few to the squad I'd be feeling more confident about the season and looking at a push for top 6. 

Right now I hope to f**k we just stay up.

Wouldn't argue with any of that.

As a Dundee fan I'm obviously a wee bit pleased to say the least at who you chose to replace your solid citizen manager with, but I can't really understand the Why? At Dens we've become experts at being able to consistently downgrade when appointing managers but you lot had the chance to build on the relatively solid base Mellon left behind yet went with a more than left-field choice.  Can't really make sense of it but not complaining.

Couple of points from yesterday.

The boys sat behind me .... Christ, why do you bother going? Harping on at each player, moaning about the slightest things and just generally being hyper critical from the first whistle. These guys are not alone either with the constant barrage of criticism. Surely they'd be better off in the house?

I've tried not to get caught up in all the Courts/Ashgar stuff and willing to give the whole thing a chance, but being sat in the stand yesterday allowed me to witness Courts' 'team-talk' before the penalties at fairly close quarters, and it was as far removed from 'rallying the troops' as you could get. In fact it looked like Caig was doing most of the talking and Courts was almost a peripheral figure.

32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Wouldn't argue with any of that.

As a Dundee fan I'm obviously a wee bit pleased to say the least at who you chose to replace your solid citizen manager with, but I can't really understand the Why? At Dens we've become experts at being able to consistently downgrade when appointing managers but you lot had the chance to build on the relatively solid base Mellon left behind yet went with a more than left-field choice.  Can't really make sense of it but not complaining.

Because, from the outside anyway, it looks like Tony wants him there to chuck the kids in to make the owners money ASAP. Mellon didn't play ball and he got punted.

Tony allegedly spent all summer mulling over hundreds of applications worldwide and came up with a yes man in Captain Buzzword who was in the office down the hall.

25 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I've tried not to get caught up in all the Courts/Ashgar stuff and willing to give the whole thing a chance, but being sat in the stand yesterday allowed me to witness Courts' 'team-talk' before the penalties at fairly close quarters, and it was as far removed from 'rallying the troops' as you could get. In fact it looked like Caig was doing most of the talking and Courts was almost a peripheral figure.

Caig taking on the task of advisor is such a situation doesn't seem too revolutionary, he will probably be the coach with most experience of taking part in penalty shoot outs. And surprisingly, for his part, Seigrist did well.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Because, from the outside anyway, it looks like Tony wants him there to chuck the kids in to make the owners money ASAP. Mellon didn't play ball and he got punted.

If 'Mellon got sacked' gets repeated often enough, the majority will believe that to be the case. He didn't.

The boys sat behind me .... Christ, why do you bother going? Harping on at each player, moaning about the slightest things and just generally being hyper critical from the first whistle. These guys are not alone either with the constant barrage of criticism. Surely they'd be better off in the house?

I witnessed this at Dens since the 90’s. After years of declining results and performances fans drift away and you’re left with an increasing % of folk who just like to moan at, and berate your players. Their voice becomes increasingly louder as the others aren’t there to drown them out. You get used to it, even joining in on occasions.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

That's one thing I don't miss about not having my ST anymore. There were a few of those fannies sat behind me, and even on good days, they'd be moaning about something.

51 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's one thing I don't miss about not having my ST anymore. There were a few of those fannies sat behind me, and even on good days, they'd be moaning about something.

I don't understand it. I can't see what pleasure they're getting from it. There's a ton of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

There’s worse.  The last couple of seasons we’ve had guys sitting behind us in the upper Eddie Thompson who seem disinterested in the football and spend extended periods talking about holidays, mortgages and lots of other non-football related stuff.

They also seem to know nothing about the game or who the players are.  They’d be better meeting up in the pub.