The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yip. Tam Courts is not going to do that in his first top level managerial role.

Granted, but he'll be gone at some point you'd reckon.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

🤪😂

No, we don't. 

I think you do with players like Siegrist, Mulgrew, Edwards, Smith, Fuchs, Butcher (Clogger though he is), Clark & Shankland you've got 8 players there that would get into most of the bottom 6 sides teams.

Add a bit of creativity to that and you should be more than fine.

Unless your manager has no experience of actually managing a professional team and is a complete and utter fraud who likes to utilise shitey middle management talk.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think you do with players like Siegrist, Mulgrew, Edwards, Smith, Fuchs, Butcher (Clogger though he is), Clark & Shankland you've got 8 players there that would get into most of the bottom 6 sides teams.

Maybe 4, at a push 5 of those perform at a decent level most weeks. It's not enough, although I don't like to single out the players who aren't consistently good enough. But the major issue possibly isn't the playing staff, lacking as it is. 

49 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Add a bit of creativity to that and you should be more than fine.

Unless your manager has no experience of actually managing a professional team and is a complete and utter fraud who likes to utilise shitey middle management talk.

You're massively over rating Edwards, Smith, Butcher and Clark, IMO. Fuchs probably needs the right system/role to thrive too.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You're massively over rating Edwards, Smith, Butcher and Clark, IMO. Fuchs probably needs the right system/role to thrive too.

Maybe Edwards and Butcher, but I reckon whilst Smith is average, RB is a weak position for many teams and I think Clark is just a very good player tbh.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Maybe Edwards and Butcher, but I reckon whilst Smith is average, RB is a weak position for many teams and I think Clark is just a very good player tbh.

I like Smith and Clark, but they're ~average bottom half players at best, and I'm not sure they'd "walk" into many bottom half sides.

Is Smith better than Rooney/Tait/O'Donnell/Devlin? Arguably the 3 sides he gets into are United, Dundee and County. Clark probably the same, and even then hes probably used here and there rather than a cast iron starter for any of the three.

Siegrist is arguably the best keeper in the league, and Shankland is quality. Mulgrew is still to be seen but should stroll a lot of games, and Fuchs is maybe mid-table, but the rest isn't in any way capable of keeping United up. They're absolutely fucked if Siegrist leaves, just as they would've been last season.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I like Smith and Clark, but they're ~average bottom half players at best, and I'm not sure they'd "walk" into many bottom half sides.

Is Smith better than Rooney/Tait/O'Donnell/Devlin? Arguably the 3 sides he gets into are United, Dundee and County. Clark probably the same, and even then hes probably used here and there rather than a cast iron starter for any of the three.

Siegrist is arguably the best keeper in the league, and Shankland is quality. Mulgrew is still to be seen but should stroll a lot of games, and Fuchs is maybe mid-table, but the rest isn't in any way capable of keeping United up. They're absolutely fucked if Siegrist leaves, just as they would've been last season.

Fair enough, that's quite a solid argument. I'd argue that I'd have Smith ahead of a couple of that 4 (Tait especially) or at least in the mix with those 4 that you mentioned, but totally get it.

Good points; well made.

United are fucked.

Edited by Ludo*1

Some cracking opinions on here.

Anybody with a modicum of creativity and delivery would improve this team ten fold by just being on the pitch. Greg Stewart would be a good signing for us.

Smith, rotten. Cant cross, can't stop a cross and when he does get forward he rarely actually passes forwards. That may well be because we get players forward at a speed that makes evolution look neck breaking, but even in the Championship he was bog standard average. Maybe in a 442 with a winger in front hes improve, but I can't see it being that much. And we don't play with wingers either.

We are lacking a focal player, a ball player, a creator to carry the ball and pick a pass to link midfield to the forwards. We have lacked that for years - longer than the entire time we've had a football agent running the show.

We also need pace out wide and up front, we are so fucking slow. We have no outball when under pressure and teams can press us without the worry of being caught on the break.

Either that or a 7 foot 6 eastern European brick shithouse who can hold the ball in while we get bodies forward. But thats not the modern, Thomas Courts style im guessing. 

And I want 3 at the back in the bin too. With this squad, anyway.