The Dundee United Thread 22/23

15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I wouldn't say I'm over the moon about it but I have made peace with the fact that the owners are unapologetically here to turn a profit so I won't be grateful that they put their own capital at risk.

But herein lies the problem. Anyone who honestly believes a profit can be made from the club is a fool.

7 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Don't mind spending on this Trident fella if he's a creative midfielder or a winger. 

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Or is it our new three pronged attack?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Think that move got torpedoed early on

Right, that’s the last time I use an analogy on here.  :(

46 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

But herein lies the problem. Anyone who honestly believes a profit can be made from the club is a fool.

I’ve said that about Ogren from day one.  I’m delighted he stepped in when he did, Christ knows where we’d be know if he hadn’t.  However there will be a point in the future where he realises he has made a mistake and will cut his losses.  I’m not sure how we will move forward from that.

3 hours ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Legacy by James Kerr is a book that goes behind the scenes with the New Zealand rugby union team, seeking to discover the secrets of the All Blacks' success. Dundee United have distributed a copy to every player in the hope that they will pick up something.

"I have had a lot of feedback, the boys have been talking about it," sporting director Tony Asghar tells Sky Sports. "In the old days, I don't think many clubs would have given their players a book to read. Now, there is a different way of thinking. Players want to learn." "

I'm getting Ted Lasso vibes........

1519999090_TLJasonSudeikis.thumb.jpg.0add53edd752d41ba00a4f404ddaac80.jpg

Legacy by James Kerr is a book that goes behind the scenes with the New Zealand rugby union team, seeking to discover the secrets of the All Blacks' success. Dundee United have distributed a copy to every player in the hope that they will pick up something.
"I have had a lot of feedback, the boys have been talking about it," sporting director Tony Asghar tells Sky Sports. "In the old days, I don't think many clubs would have given their players a book to read. Now, there is a different way of thinking. Players want to learn." "
I'm getting Ted Lasso vibes........
1519999090_TLJasonSudeikis.thumb.jpg.0add53edd752d41ba00a4f404ddaac80.jpg

Ted Lasso/David Brent mashup vibes. Only a matter of time before a player suffers a season ending injury during a trust exercise mishap at a team bonding camp. Genuinely terrifying.

The Secret of the All Black's "success"* is its the only sport in the country and they steal lots of Polynesian athletes from other countries. HTH 

* No RWC win between 1987 and 2011. Tied for wins with South Africa who weren't allowed to compete at 25% of tournaments played and have a 50% win rate 

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I can smell another Doon Derby. 

Know what, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Looking at the squad then looking at how everything is being portrayed I wonder if Asghar is actually trolling everyone.

Peter Pawlett isn't going to not get injured or become Iniesta because he's read about the All Blacks. Jamie Robson isn't going to learn how to cross a football doing that either. Similarly, Shankland isnt going to score goals without touching the ball because he's read about them either.

Tony has more or less said we're working with the dross that's left from the Championship two seasons ago and the youths who are going to be inconsistent. So reading between the lines we're definitely skint. Im not surprised but I'd rather he said so and not gibber this sort of guff. Its clearly self promotion on his part.

Realistically at a club the size of United, is it going to be possible in this day and age to produce that many youngsters (good enough) regularly to fill the first team? Especially when at 16 most of the decent prospects are poached by teams down south.

4 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

Charlie Mulgrew out for 6 months after suffering a fractured skull in a trust exercise.

Logan Chalmers out because his feeling were hurt in a communication session.

images (16).jpeg

Peter Pawlett pulled up in training and will be out for the season with melancholy.

Ashgar and Courts keep talking about our 'talented kids' but are they all that?

Logan Chalmers is ok and that's about it - he's never going to command a large transfer fee imho. Kerr Smith might turn into a player, but he's 16 and is liable to make a tonne of mistakes as all young defenders do.

I'm not exactly looking at them all and thinking other clubs will be weeping with jealousy.

I might prefer Mochrie to play ahead of Harkes, but that says more about the latter than the former.

53 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Peter Pawlett pulled up in training and will be out for the season with melancholy.

Peter Pawlett out for the season would be one the better bits of news.  Harkes joining him would be a further boost.

51 minutes ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

I see us finishing 7th with a cup quarter final. After a slow start.

It’s good to see people can still crack jokes that in the face of adversity. 

3 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

This is fucking excellent. :lol:

Genuinely love this absolute rocket.