The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Dundee United will always be seen as a bigger club but regarding Kelly you have to remember he knows the club, manager, and players ( he was the players player of the season) from last season. You could also argue that Motherwell have been in the top flight for so long it’s quite a safe gig if you are signing a 3 year contract. You do well for a couple of seasons in the top flight then get your move to a big club as many others have ( he’s still only 25). With respect I’m not sure you have that same guarantee at United with the management and spending being all over the place.   I of course say this when the Kelly move has still not been confirmed, if he now goes to United ignore all of the above.

Thats my point exactly. Generally players will jump ship for a decent pay rise (as we all would) which would normally be expected going from Well to Utd. Same from Utd to Hibs, Hertz or Aberdeen etc.

However we've been a financial basket case for years and now we've got a random banter manager to boot. No wonder some decent established players are chosing far more stable options.

Didn't know he was your PPOTY though tbf. That makes a big difference in this situation.

5 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Thats my point exactly. Generally players will jump ship for a decent pay rise (as we all would) which would normally be expected going from Well to Utd. Same from Utd to Hibs, Hertz or Aberdeen etc.

However we've been a financial basket case for years and now we've got a random banter manager to boot. No wonder some decent established players are chosing far more stable options.

Didn't know he was your PPOTY though tbf. That makes a big difference in this situation.

Considering he only joined in January it really shows what the other players thought of him, they actually asked each individual player on camera, fair to say he got a lot of praise and while I know money is always a huge factor knowing you’re coming back ( hopefully) to a club where you’re really rated can’t do any harm, nothing to prove.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Aye always has been. hold over from when he was meant to be a left back (though if the Brechin game is anything to go by he'll be playing LWB this season)

On 04/07/2021 at 12:53, mishtergrolsch said:

Eh got telt (as the taxi driver tale begins) that we want £1m for Shankland.  Now, if he'd had a good season and scored 12-15 goals with 2 years to go contract wise then I could see that. But not after a poor season with a year left.

Saying that, I would rather we kept him and got a better season out of him than take a low ball offer of less than half a mill.

Try to get him to sign a1 season extension and take it from there.

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I find these things more interesting than a grown man should.  Fair to say there’s still a “big name” signing still to come, with no number 7 yet?

1 hour ago, kdyteejay said:

Try to get him to sign a1 season extension and take it from there.

As much as I'd like that I fear there's nae chance. He'd make more cash going to someone on a free than a club paying a fee for him.

Id like to be wrong but this will be the last season hes here, good season or not.

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

As much as I'd like that I fear there's nae chance. He'd make more cash going to someone on a free than a club paying a fee for him.

Id like to be wrong but this will be the last season hes here, good season or not.

Yeah, agree. It’s more just wishful thinking and wanting the best for my club.

1 hour ago, kdyteejay said:

Yeah, agree. It’s more just wishful thinking and wanting the best for my club.

Of course. Im just ebbing on the side of total despair these days so I'm either proved right or happy (well, as happy as I can be). Win win.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I find these things more interesting than a grown man should.  Fair to say there’s still a “big name” signing still to come, with no number 7 yet?

It’s just as well you’re not an Arab with that level of u warranted optimism.

15 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Hearing that there may be a couple of signings about to get over the line this week. 

First taxi I've had in ages and the guy was awfy chatty about incomings at Tannadeechee 

Fat Tony moonlighting?