The Dundee United Thread 22/23

42 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I don't have an issue with Tam Courts as manager - especially compared to the others on that list, but Tony will know that if it goes tits up, he'll take the blame.

I'm beginning to think that too, when I consider the performances of the last handful of well established choices. Mellon was, for me, the best of a bad bunch that included Mixu, McNamara, McKinnon, Neilson and Laszlo, but there wasn't much competition from them, considering the anticipation with which each appointment was received.

It doesn't appear to matter the background the choices come from, they have got to be competent and lucky, I maybe thought the previous choices were competent, but it turned out they were neither that or lucky. The last two, Neilson and Mellon, seemed to be more suited than the four before, but there are no guarantees that a well regarded candidate with an established, fair record as a manager will be a success.

The biggest loss to us, with MM leaving, might be Ryan Edwards.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

I don't have an issue with Tam Courts as manager - especially compared to the others on that list, but Tony will know that if it goes tits up, he'll take the blame.

That’s like saying “I don’t mind getting my foot amputated, it would be worse to lose my whole leg” particularly if amputation is not necessary.*

* or some better analogy.

32 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm beginning to think that too, when I consider the performances of the last handful of well established choices. Mellon was, for me, the best of a bad bunch that included Mixu, McNamara, McKinnon, Neilson and Laszlo, but there wasn't much competition from them, considering the anticipation with which each appointment was received.

It doesn't appear to matter the background the choices come from, they have got to be competent and lucky, I maybe thought the previous choices were competent, but it turned out they were neither that or lucky. The last two, Neilson and Mellon, seemed to be more suited than the four before, but there are no guarantees that a well regarded candidate with an established, fair record as a manager will be a success.

The biggest loss to us, with MM leaving, might be Ryan Edwards.

Ryan Edwards is a bang average centre back. Sure he's better than Connolly and Reynolds but would hardly be the worst loss in the world.

8 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Ryan Edwards is a bang average centre back. Sure he's better than Connolly and Reynolds but would hardly be the worst loss in the world.

Don't disagree about his ability, but we don't have a whole world of options. I'm suggesting Edwards came north on the basis of MM being manager, and now he might want to depart, leaving us with a lack of aerial ability in central defence.

32 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I’ve grown to be impressed by Edwards.  We have become significantly better at defending set pieces since he became established in the team.

Surprised to see Mellon go he seemed set on staying in the post-match interview on Sunday - family moved to Scotland, lovely location to stay, joined golf club in personal terms and after a mixed first season back up onwards & upwards on the footballing side so I suppose he's been offered a fair wedge to move back down south.
No offence but I hope you bollox up his replacement.

I don’t think he’s left because he’s been given a better offer elsewhere - it all seems very strange and suggests to me that something isn’t quite right behind the scenes.

Just now, jamamafegan said:

I don’t think he’s left because he’s been given a better offer elsewhere - it all seems very strange and suggests to me that something isn’t quite right behind the scenes.

One of the Twitter journalists was suggesting he asked to leave when told he would have no control over signings.

His replacement will be a "Head Coach" rather than a "Manager", and will be expected to just focus on tactics/training etc.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

One of the Twitter journalists was suggesting he asked to leave when told he would have no control over signings.

His replacement will be a "Head Coach" rather than a "Manager", and will be expected to just focus on tactics/training etc.

So who are we appointing DOF, as that role can't be left to Tony Asghar. As someone who can show the manager players to see who he's interested in yes, as someone choosing the players then no. Too close to the ridiculous situations of.ownera wanting x,y & z at the club and the poor bugger picking the team trying to figure out how the hell to get them all on the park together (much like Shankland, Clark & McNulty)

10 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

So who are we appointing DOF, as that role can't be left to Tony Asghar. As someone who can show the manager players to see who he's interested in yes, as someone choosing the players then no. Too close to the ridiculous situations of.ownera wanting x,y & z at the club and the poor bugger picking the team trying to figure out how the hell to get them all on the park together (much like Shankland, Clark & McNulty)

Really not sure about DOF roles at Scottish clubs.

You need someone who is directly in charge of the day to day running of the club. An absentee chairman who is busy with other businesses is not good enough. But I don't think that person should have authority over transfers/recruiting to the first team above the manager.

Imposing players or tactics on a manager seems like a recipe for disaster. 

11 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Really not sure about DOF roles at Scottish clubs.

You need someone who is directly in charge of the day to day running of the club. An absentee chairman who is busy with other businesses is not good enough. But I don't think that person should have authority over transfers/recruiting to the first team above the manager.

Imposing players or tactics on a manager seems like a recipe for disaster. 

“At Scottish clubs” 😫

I have no issue with a DOF / Head Coach setup, in fact I dream of such a thing.

Build a philosophy of how you want to play the game at the club for the long term, instill it at every age level and seek coaches who buy into it.

Rather than sacking a manager every 18 months who have their own ideas and can’t work with these players.

What I do have a big fucking problem with is Ashgar thinking he’s the man to oversee it! 🤬