The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Until yesterday there were many of us who:

a) thought playing Shankland, McNulty and Clark together was chronic, and;

b) thought Harkes was a very poor player.

These views were reasonable based on evidence from previous games.

We had an exceptional display yesterday that showed the three strikers could work and that Harkes can play very well.  I’m happy to go with this into the coming cup game(s) if that’s what Mellon thinks and do whatever he wants in the league regardless.

Stuart Duff probably had a good game or two in his United career. He was still shite.

I wouldn't be so unkind to call Harke shite, but I wouldn't be offering the kid a new contract.

I think playing Clark, McNulty and Shankland together the way they were used yesterday shouldn't be an issue. 

From memory Clark has done well when deployed on the left and McNulty forward with Shanks is a very decent striker pairing. 

Before Clark was played deep in midfield and McNulty on the right. That clearly didn't work. 

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think playing Clark, McNulty and Shankland together the way they were used yesterday shouldn't be an issue. 

From memory Clark has done well when deployed on the left and McNulty forward with Shanks is a very decent striker pairing. 

Before Clark was played deep in midfield and McNulty on the right. That clearly didn't work. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

The issue with Clarke, McNulty and Shankland is as a front 3. Clarke was LW yesterday, which whilst not ideal, is not the same issue as what was happening before. 

Bith correct. Clark played on the left alot last season too iirc. Yesterday it almost looked like a 433 with Clark - Shankland - McNulty and it worked really well. Spread the sheep defence out and made plenty space.

Also helped that they thought playing out from the back ala Mixu was a good idea. Glad Glass didn't realise they were fucking chronic at it. 

I don't think we'd get that sort of game from any of the remaining teams, especially the Fermers and Killie.

6 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I hope not.

The players don't need a two week break!

We're playing Ross County next weekend and the semi is the weekend after that.

If there was a game midweek prior, fair enough, but there isn't.

I agree with this 100%

Needs to be the right balance between keeping the best team match sharp and not risking any unnecessary injuries.

As next weekend is on the grass at Tannadice against County, I see no real reason not to play the best team for a good chunk of the game and make sure we use all 5 stubbies to get some of the younger lads some game time.

7 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I hope not.

The players don't need a two week break!

39 minutes ago, MacArab said:

I agree with this 100%

Needs to be the right balance between keeping the best team match sharp and not risking any unnecessary injuries.

I don't think anybody is suggesting Mellon fields second string sides in the remaining league games, but that he bloods young players as suitable, and rests any player who has a mild niggle or takes a knock during games.

8 hours ago, MacArab said:

I agree with this 100%

As next weekend is on the grass at Tannadice against County, I see no real reason not to play the best team for a good chunk of the game and make sure we use all 5 stubbies to get some of the younger lads some game time.

Yup. If we can get a goal or two up against County by half time I'd be taking a few of the more important players off for the youngsters.

They should all have the semi finals in mind and be chomping at the bit to get a start.

And I knew we'd get the Edinburgh Junkies!

Not too bothered about the draw. I thought we would have to beat Hibs at some point to win it so hopefully its at the semi final stage. Revenge for the semi final a few years ago when that fat mess had a stormer in their goal

It might be better to face Hibs in the semi final given they lost in the semis in the last two cup competitions...perhaps.

Whoever we get in the final (if we get there, obviously), it will open up some major psychological scars for me. I never really got over that 1987 final.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

14 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Not too bothered about the draw. I thought we would have to beat Hibs at some point to win it so hopefully its at the semi final stage. Revenge for the semi final a few years ago when that fat mess had a stormer in their goal

I still can't quite believe that hopeless team we had in 2016 was a penalty shoot out away from getting to the Scottish Cup final. Wild.

20 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It might be better to face Hibs in the semi final given they lost in the semis in the last two cup competitions...perhaps.

Whoever we get in the final (if we get there, obviously), it will open up some major psychological scars for me. I never really got over that 1987 final.

I was thinking about this recently around the Forfar game. We were reminded of how it took a last minute equaliser to beat them at Tannadice in 87.

Perhaps if we hadn't and didn't have that Cup Final to play prior to the second Gothenburg game things might have turned out differently.

Edited by ArabFC

I was thinking about this recently around the Forfar game. We were reminded of how it took a last minute equaliser to beat them at Tannadice in 87.
Perhaps if we hadn't and didn't have that Cup Final to play prior to the second Gothenburg game things might have turned out differently.
Aye, Dundee might have won the cup...

On 27/04/2021 at 13:35, CaspianChris said:

The only benefit of that new deal even if it's only a minor one is that it gets rid of a Bookie being a sponsor in Scottish Football. 

There is another benefit.  I already subscribe to Premier Sports.