The Dundee United Thread 22/23

11 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Is he gone? Or going?

Can't wait to he linked with Pressley, McIntyre and John Hug...oh, wait, at least hes got a job now. Thank f**k.

I reckon he will stay for next season but who knows. 

No Scottish merry-go-round brain doners please if he does decide to go...also I won't hear a bad word about agent mac but I don't want him as manager. 

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

On 11/04/2021 at 11:54, ArabianKnight said:

Bye bye Micky 🤣🤣🤣

I dont believe he is going anywhere soon. If anybody has read his book, it says in it, that this is his  lifelong ambition to manage in his own country, so cant see him buggering off so quick. 

6 hours ago, Sash83 said:

I dont believe he is going anywhere soon. If anybody has read his book, it says in it, that this is his  lifelong ambition to manage in his own country, so cant see him buggering off so quick. 

Which he's now achieved.  

3 hours ago, Sash83 said:

Ok objective achieved, but im hoping his ambition is to work here for more than 9 months, and its Doncaster!!!!!!!! 

Doncaster can probably pay him more than us, and provide him with more transfer funds. How much of a step up for his career it would be to move to a mid table league one club is open to debate however. I suppose it depends what his priority is at this stage.

If he were to move on I’d love to see us approach McInnes, but I think he’d have to be out of work for a good while before he’d consider us. Robinson probably more realistic and would still be a decent appointment. 

6 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

If he were to move on I’d love to see us approach McInnes, but I think he’d have to be out of work for a good while before he’d consider us. Robinson probably more realistic and would still be a decent appointment. 

I'm not 100% but didn't Robinson say something crazy like he will only return to manage in Scotland if its at the big two? 

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm not 100% but didn't Robinson say something crazy like he will only return to manage in Scotland if its at the big two? 

Wow. He’d need to go down south for at least 5 years and do a sterling job before either of them would consider him I’d reckon. Pressleyian levels of self delusion. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Nah, when he left he made a (fair) case about 3rd being Motherwell's ceiling and talked about how we weren't able to get a lot of the infrastructure plans off the ground (which seemed less fair given the state of affairs with a pandemic and all that). It sounded like a solid pitch saying he'd fancy an Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs type job up here.

"I just thought the time was right for me personally to go. I didn't believe I could take the club any further.

"There was frustration in there, which was nobody's fault.

"I was desperate for a new training ground. I was desperate for infrastructure to improve, but there isn't a magic wand, without money that's very difficult to do.

"The chairman Jim McMahon and [chief executive] Alan Burrows are men I couldn't say anything but good things about.

"Allan and Jim were behind the idea but it didn't quite materialise and I felt I couldn't take the club to the next level.

"I felt the club had reached the ceiling of where we could go.

"Personally I don't believe Motherwell will finish any higher than third.

"A top six finish and a cup run is what the club should be aiming for and arguably we over-achieved by reaching two cup finals and the third place finish.

"When you are bringing in £6million for the sale of young players and not spending any transfer fees when you sell them on it's very difficult to replicate time and again."

He said: "It might only be a short break. In football you don't get to wait a year and then say 'okay, I'll go back in'.

"I am not [Man City boss] Pep Guardiola and if an opportunity comes along at what I feel is the right football club with people and a similar mindset to Motherwell then that would be appealing.

"I would be very keen to move to the right club. Whether it's Scotland or England I don't think that's important, so long as it's the right club."

Link

He's also talked quite a bit about how the key thing at Motherwell was he had complete control to run things exactly as he wanted with no interference.  He pointed out that'd probably be a factor in considering his next job - particularly given how his time at Oldham panned out. There's a fair chance he'd be put off by Asghar's involvement.

Fwiw, he applied for the Bournemouth job last summer while he was still with us (and had the NI interview) and re-applied for Bournemouth when it was vacant after he'd resigned. The impression I get having listened to his interviews since he's resigned is that he's as open to managing in England as he is taking another job in Scotland - any lower end EFL Championship/upper half L1 jobs that come up I'd imagine his CV will be straight on their desk.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Doncaster can probably pay him more than us, and provide him with more transfer funds. How much of a step up for his career it would be to move to a mid table league one club is open to debate however. I suppose it depends what his priority is at this stage.

I think it’s fair to say that English League 1 is a step up from most Scottish Premiership clubs.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I think it’s fair to say that English League 1 is a step up from most Scottish Premiership clubs.

A lot of them definitely have more money yes. Guess it depends what you call a step up.

Just now, Accent-Unknown said:

A lot of them definitely have more money yes. Guess it depends what you call a step up.

Very crudely put, more money = better quality of player.  Not always admittedly.

Better quality of players = better football.

31 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

wE NeEd AlL tHe bIG cLuBs In ThE tOp LeAgUe, right you are Gordon Strachan.

Its true though tbf. We'd have Dundee, Hertz, Dunfermline and Raith. Id maybe even put ICT in there. All decent sized teams over the years and id have them back in the top league.

Second tier would have more of the community clubs like Hamilton, QOTS, Morton, St Johnstone, Arbroath etc.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Very crudely put, more money = better quality of player.  Not always admittedly.

Better quality of players = better football.

Id love to see what state English football would be like if Sky etc went tits up.

Man City, Chelsea and Leicester would revert to bottom half at best filler teams, clubs like West Brom, Brighton and Burnley would fritter away to Championship no marks again and there would be a chance to turn football back into a sport and not a billionaires pissing contest.

13 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Id love to see what state English football would be like if Sky etc went tits up.

Man City, Chelsea and Leicester would revert to bottom half at best filler teams, clubs like West Brom, Brighton and Burnley would fritter away to Championship no marks again and there would be a chance to turn football back into a sport and not a billionaires pissing contest.

Maybe so but I don’t see that happening any time soon.